Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you actively scan every intersection before entering?
Yes 109 93.97%
No 5 4.31%
Not really sure. 2 1.72%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 05:54 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
No. Some of them are three-way intersections. It would be dumb to look to the right (or left) if there's no road in that direction.
I notice that you didn't consider pedestrians or bike riders that could be crossing from the right (or left).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 06:26 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,204,551 times
I still seem to be missing the point. The OP referenced starting out from a light that changes to green. Then it sounds like scanning at every green at speed when passing through.

OK, I'm going through the city, flow at 40, and I'm hitting greens. Big buildings blocking view at every corner. What can I do to avoid a crash with somebody running the red? Seems to me that it's better to keep my attention on the intersection I'm going through, than looking up and down all the side streets. What about the guys running stop signs where there is no light? Scan for them,too? And driveways?

What, exactly, does "scan" mean here? Slow down to a stoppable speed and look both ways? Or be attentive to anything out of the ordinary in your peripheral view?

I'm not trying to be contrarian, I just want to understand the question? I asked before, and got, if anywhere, to a change in the playing field. . Are we talking about starting at a changing green, or going though a green at speed? Is there a difference? If so, what is the difference? And what do you mean by"scan"?

Old 03-15-2018, 06:45 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
Oh, hell yes. I was hit by a car with three drunken college kids blowing a red at 80mph- the driver was in critical condition, his two passengers were ejected and were dead in the road (they hit a tree after hitting me). They came from the left, where my view was blocked by a brick wall. I can only surmise that I must have seen the lights reflecting off other stuff because I hit the brakes before I actually saw the vehicle...and that was just enough that they clipped my front end instead of nailing me direct broadside, it just spun me around and banged me up a little.

I never assume that a red light or a stop sign will stop an idiot.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:50 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,156,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I still seem to be missing the point. The OP referenced starting out from a light that changes to green. Then it sounds like scanning at every green at speed when passing through.

OK, I'm going through the city, flow at 40, and I'm hitting greens. Big buildings blocking view at every corner. What can I do to avoid a crash with somebody running the red? Seems to me that it's better to keep my attention on the intersection I'm going through, than looking up and down all the side streets. What about the guys running stop signs where there is no light? Scan for them,too? And driveways?

What, exactly, does "scan" mean here? Slow down to a stoppable speed and look both ways? Or be attentive to anything out of the ordinary in your peripheral view?

I'm not trying to be contrarian, I just want to understand the question? I asked before, and got, if anywhere, to a change in the playing field. . Are we talking about starting at a changing green, or going though a green at speed? Is there a difference? If so, what is the difference? And what do you mean by"scan"?
For me it is almost this.

But instead of using just peripherals, I scan (like a "Cylon Centurion" - but with two eyes and a faster sweep) each intersection - moving mostly my eyes, but sometimes my head depending on how "open" the intersection is. It only takes a fraction of a second to look both ways.

No, I am not trying to peer deeply down both sides of the street, instead, I am looking to see if anything is coming into the intersection at the same time I am. If I am already moving, it is a quick look. If I am just starting to move, it can be a deeper look down the road because I have more time.

And I for one, don't think you are being contrarian, just asking a question for clarification.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-15-2018 at 06:59 PM..

Old 03-15-2018, 06:52 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,586,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Do you consistently and conscientiously scan (left and right) every intersection as you are driving - before you enter it?

Today, I was second in line waiting to turn left. The light turned green and the car in front of me started moving. I looked right and could see a pickup heading for the intersection with absolutely no intention of stopping. He was definitely on a collision course with the guy in front of me.

I stopped and layed on my horn.

After about what seemed like two seconds another vehicle (I couldn't tell which) started laying on his horn too.

Finally, the guy ahead of me stopped. The person who ran the solidly red light kept right on going, never slowed, never noticed that he had ran a red, and didn't see the truck he was about to hit.
I know this is the automotive forum, but let me say I ride my bicycle a lot and look EVERYWHERE. And NO EAR BUDS!

Don in Austin

Old 03-15-2018, 06:59 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Not always. If I'm the first couple cars absolutely. I also don't jump on green.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:06 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,156,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
I know this is the automotive forum, but let me say I ride my bicycle a lot and look EVERYWHERE. And NO EAR BUDS!

Don in Austin
When I teach new drivers, I teach a 3 to 5 point view. I tell them to constantly rotate front, mirrors, rear, front, mirrors, rear, front, mirrors, rear, Intersection: left, right, front, mirrors, rear, front, mirrors, rear, front, mirrors, rear.

People tell me it is tiring to drive like that... I don't feel it.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:13 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,885,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I notice that you didn't consider pedestrians or bike riders that could be crossing from the right (or left).
As a someone who is frequently walking every day I certainly note that if someone is turning right out of a parking lot or intersection they frequently do not look right, and I would say I nearly get hit by a car at least three times a week while walking on a sidewalk/curbcut by that dangerous inattentiveness. As a motorist one should always look right first regardless of what direction you are heading because it is from the right that your view would much more likely be blocked or constrained being so close to the corner, and thus a pedestrian, bicyclist or car can pop out seemingly out of nowhere. You almost always have a greater view to your left by the width of the lane next to you and then some.

I scan like the instructor above, starting left and then both directions a couple of times more.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:00 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
When I come to an intersection, I look left, then right, then left, then right again, and finally to the left. People and cars come out of nowhere sometimes very quickly.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:09 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
I always look before going on green, Miami area is horrible about this; way too many people trying to beat the light and think nothing of continuing through right when it turns red. Plus, there is zero delay between one side turning red and the other green, it is almost at the same time, which is different than every other place I lived which have a slight delay between it.

I also look and even slow when my gut tells me to, for people trying to make a left turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
What is the difference between a car running a red light when you are going through the green at speed, or if you are just starting out when it changes? Why do you need to be diligent about one and not the other?
The red light running most often will occur right when the light turns green.

Diligence is still needed at all times, but the probability is higher that the red light runner will do it right when their light turns red and your's green. I cannot even recall personally ever seeing someone run a red light after the other lights have been green for a bit and traffic is flowing. See it about every time a drive right when the light turns red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive