Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 11:23 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabernetkev View Post
Hi, I plan to drive to Colorado this summer, and I know I will lose signal. What is the best mobile signal boosters people have tried, and do they really work? I am with Sprint. I am willing to pay for an expensive unit as long as it works.
I dumped Sprint over this same issue, reception and coverage.
https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/Coverage

Best option is ATT or Verizon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 12:09 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I dumped Sprint over this same issue, reception and coverage.
https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/Coverage

Best option is ATT or Verizon.
I drive from Montana to Florida twice a year. Coverage for all carriers are spotty in Montana and Wyoming, but Colorado it starts getting pretty decent again. What route are you taking? Take a look at the coverage maps of your service provider. I am on T-Mobile.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:29 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
There are satellite phones, that dont rely on cell towers. Might help in remote areas.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:50 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I drive from Montana to Florida twice a year. Coverage for all carriers are spotty in Montana and Wyoming, but Colorado it starts getting pretty decent again. What route are you taking? Take a look at the coverage maps of your service provider. I am on T-Mobile.
As remote as it gets, a back road south into the Beartooth mountains from Big Timber MT.
According to my own link, I'm covered on Verizon.
However, a trip south to the Wind River range is a different matter; very little in the way of coverage there.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:11 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
My little brother rides ranches all day along the Texas/Mexico border. There are no cell phone towers close to the border. He tried all kinds of boosters and the difference was maybe as much as a 10% improvement. He also applied for a satellite phone but there was a waiting list for applicants. Apparently there is only so much room for the number of phones and bandwidth. He had to wait over a year until someone dropped off to get a satellite phone. He finally told them to forget it and now relies mostly on ranch house land lines.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:46 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Thumbs down Signal booster probably won't help at all out in the middle of nowhere

Quote:
What is the best mobile signal boosters people have tried, and do they really work? I am with Sprint. I am willing to pay for an expensive unit as long as it works.
A signal booster still needs there to be some signal in order to function.

Why exactly are you concerned about temporarily losing signal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I am on T-Mobile.
T-Mobile does pretty good as long as you stay on the Interstate highways.

If not willing to rent a satellite phone, next best option would be to look Sprint's coverage map, compare it to other carriers, once you find one which fills in some of the coverage gaps left by Sprint, pick up a PAYGo feature phone and set your main phone to forward unanswered calls to the backup phone.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:58 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Hi, I plan to drive to Colorado this summer, and I know I will lose signal. What is the best mobile signal boosters people have tried, and do they really work? I am with Sprint. I am willing to pay for an expensive unit as long as it works.
Honestly your problem is that you are with Sprint. My guess is that if you were with AT&T or Verizon you wouldn’t be asking this question.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:40 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
Get a better provider. Sprint is notorious for their bad and spotty coverage. Go with Verizon or ATT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive