Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 04:53 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,301,658 times

Advertisements

Twice in the past two days neighbors in my apartment complex backed out of their parking spots without looking both ways. They would have hit me and my dog if I hadn't been paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 11:53 AM

17,433 posts, read 13,206,904 times
Tesla in fatal California crash was on Autopilot

Tesla in fatal California crash was on Autopilot - BBC News

At least three deaths in a year, and God know how many other accidents.

The technology isn't there yet.

Not for me

Old 03-31-2018, 12:17 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,288,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Not for me
that is a significantly different system and is not claimed to be able to drive autonomously.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:35 PM

17,433 posts, read 13,206,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
that is a significantly different system and is not claimed to be able to drive autonomously.
Still wouldn't want one anywhere near me

Old 03-31-2018, 01:39 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,906,126 times
I just a saw three cars in a row on the highway yesterday with their driver’s face buried in a phone. I’ll take my chances with a robot.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:02 AM

2,664 posts, read 2,080,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I just a saw three cars in a row on the highway yesterday with their driver’s face buried in a phone. I’ll take my chances with a robot.
This is probably not the worst you can see. The most dangerous drivers are tipsy and drunk people driving from the bars in the evening in the areas with no public transportation. This is the real menace and that is why 40,000 people were killed on the US roads in 2017. Self driving cars can only ne an improvement over deadly human drivers...

Old 04-02-2018, 12:10 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,964,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Not for me
This accident is SOLELY the driver's fault.

"The driver had received several visual and one audible hands-on warning earlier in the drive," a statement on the company's website said.

"The driver's hands were not detected on the wheel for six seconds prior to the collision."
"The driver had about five seconds and 150m (490ft) of unobstructed view of the concrete divider... but the vehicle logs show that no action was taken," the statement added.
Tesla's Autopilot system does some of the things a fully autonomous machine can do. It can brake, accelerate and steer by itself under certain conditions, but it is classified as a driver assistance system, is not intended to operate independently and as such the driver is meant to have their hands on the wheel at all times.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:23 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,074,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Likely true but not relevant. The family knows nothing. What Uber does not want to have to do is discovery. Bet there are lots of fascinating emails and such inside Uber. Even the NTSB will have trouble penetrating the internal Uber discourse...which would be vulnerable in discovery. In fact the first thing the attorney is going to do is put Uber on notice to maintain its correspondence.

According to an acquaintance:

Looks like part of the cause of this accident is that Uber skimped on lidar sensors:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/28/uber_selfdriving_death_may_have_been_due_to_lidar_ blind_spot/
The optical system still should've seen the woman, although their range is much shorter and even if it had, the car almost certainly still would've hit her after a couple seconds of braking.

Uber willingly and recklessly violates the law as a regular part of their business plan.
Just because they covered their ass and got someone to sign something doesn't mean they are not liable
- They knowingly did not include safety items necessary for the safe operation (like lidar)
- They hired a driver not qualified to do the testing required
- They apparently required that driver to collect data that meant taking their eyes off the road
- They removed the second person (necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle) from the vehicle to save some money
- They put a vehicle on the road at night which was completely incapable of operating under the road conditions (dark)
- They owned and operated a vehicle for commercial purposes without maintaining control of the vehicle.
- Reckless endangerment
- Speeding (premeditated)
- I am unfamiliar with Az law, but it is highly unlikely that vehicle was not breaking several more laws.
What they did was every bit as intentional and egregious as what VW did. They screwed up, and have responsibility. Their software is incapable of doing what they claim it can.

The driver should also sue them. They broke a lot of federal OSHA regulations putting someone behind the wheel of a machine that endangered them.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,288,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
According to an acquaintance:

Looks like part of the cause of this accident is that Uber skimped on lidar sensors:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/28/uber_selfdriving_death_may_have_been_due_to_lidar_ blind_spot/
The optical system still should've seen the woman, although their range is much shorter and even if it had, the car almost certainly still would've hit her after a couple seconds of braking.

Uber willingly and recklessly violates the law as a regular part of their business plan.
Just because they covered their ass and got someone to sign something doesn't mean they are not liable
- They knowingly did not include safety items necessary for the safe operation (like lidar)
- They hired a driver not qualified to do the testing required
- They apparently required that driver to collect data that meant taking their eyes off the road
- They removed the second person (necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle) from the vehicle to save some money
- They put a vehicle on the road at night which was completely incapable of operating under the road conditions (dark)
- They owned and operated a vehicle for commercial purposes without maintaining control of the vehicle.
- Reckless endangerment
- Speeding (premeditated)
- I am unfamiliar with Az law, but it is highly unlikely that vehicle was not breaking several more laws.
What they did was every bit as intentional and egregious as what VW did. They screwed up, and have responsibility. Their software is incapable of doing what they claim it can.

The driver should also sue them. They broke a lot of federal OSHA regulations putting someone behind the wheel of a machine that endangered them.
Does not compute. The single LIDAR is within 6 inches or so of the front edge of the vehicle roof. There would be some blocking by the hood but it should have seen the Lady quite clearly. Should have picked her up easily as she left the median and set foot on the road.

So the only thing that makes sense is the LIDAR was not working or not properly evaluated.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:52 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,954,736 times
if a self-driving car ran over a robot and nobody witnessed it, would it make any noise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive