Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 07:51 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think for many people a car is more than a car. That Trans Am was the love of my life and being able to afford a replacement would not have mattered. My brother felt the same way about his ancient Car that he spent half his teen years rebuilding. Peoples attachment to their car seldom has to do with money, it's love, regardless how silly that sounds to some.

I parked my TA over 2 spotsk.
Most people who shell out over $120-200k for a car don't feel like a car is just a car.
I certainly don't.
I LOVE cars. All kind of cars.
I'm pretty sure all the people whose cars were in the mall parking lot that day loved their cars.
They just didn't freak out about it.

I used to be crazy about it, too, until I realized my obsessiveness was mitigating the enjoyment. Then the car owns you instead of you owning the car.

Does not mean I love it less to just let go and accept sh** may happen.

Parking over 2 spots is dickish and silly no matter where you do it. And as you can tell from this thread, it is an invitation to psychos to mess with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 07:59 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are those who will intentionally seek out the car that’s parked all by itself and park next to it just to annoy people like you that are trying to avoid door dings. You are better off parking closer in, between two cars already parked, then try to get back and leave before they do.
I highly doubt this ^^^^

Old 03-27-2018, 08:03 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Almost every time I park my car far away in a parking lot, trying to avoid other people from parking next to me from getting door dings, scratches and possibly being hit ( I’m talking about far far away too) there’s always that one person that decides to park inches away from my car when they have hundreds of other spots to choose from!

I’m literally the only other car around far from a store, restaurant, the mall, grocery store etc so it’s doesn’t make sense and is extremely frustrating.

Does anyone know why people do this? I feel at times drivers do it on purpose to annoy the owner of the far away parked car. I mean seriously this has to be the single most irritating thing I’ve experienced as vehicle owner, besides for bad drivers on the road.

I’m just really cautious on where I park and want to keep my cars in good shape. I know this sounds petty, but I’m sure many of you can understand where I’m coming from since we love cars and want to make sure our vehicles stay nice looking for as long as possible.
Must be a CA thing. When I park far away in the parking lot with my wife b*tching the whole time ("why do we have to park way out here?") I have never once had someone park next to me. More typically I find an end spot where I can cheat over to the one protected side. This too seems to work about 99.5% of the time.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:03 AM

892 posts, read 1,498,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
I highly doubt this ^^^^
Then you obviously haven't read the rest of this thread

Old 03-27-2018, 08:07 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Most people who shell out over $120-200k for a car don't feel like a car is just a car.
I certainly don't.
I LOVE cars. All kind of cars.
I'm pretty sure all the people whose cars were in the mall parking lot that day loved their cars.
They just didn't freak out about it.

I used to be crazy about it, too, until I realized my obsessiveness was mitigating the enjoyment. Then the car owns you instead of you owning the car.

Does not mean I love it less to just let go and accept sh** may happen.

Parking over 2 spots is dickish and silly no matter where you do it. And as you can tell from this thread, it is an invitation to psychos to mess with you.
We will agree to disagree about people's feelings about cars. . Why is it dickish to park in two spots if it's way out in no mans land where there's not a single other car?

Old 03-27-2018, 08:34 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
I vaguely remember I set a record by taking up 6 or 8 spots with my work truck with a plow on it. It was far away, so I didn’t care one bit. Plus I can’t park normal with a 9 ft plow on front of my extended cab truck.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:08 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Quote:
I think for many people a car is more than a car. That Trans Am was the love of my life and being able to afford a replacement would not have mattered. That car was my Baby, and it's condition and shine the result of hours and hours of loving labor. My brother felt the same way about his ancient LeSabre that he spent half his teen years rebuilding, and that wasn't worth anything. Peoples attachment to their car seldom has to do with money, regardless how silly that sounds to some.

I parked my TA over 2 spots many times but IMO it's only okay to do that in the very farthest rows, in a lot with many empty spaces. If someone parks over the line near the front or in a packed lot with few spaces available then yes that person is a d**k.

When I had my last car, a 17 year old Acura with over $300,000 miles (the best car I've ever owned after the TA), I didn't care about one more ding. If a car was parked over the lines in a crowded lot, in a spot other than back if lot, I'd squeeze in regardless. I think more people park over the lines either out of carelessness or cause they can't park the giant SUV they bought than because they're trying to protect their beloved car.
Damn those are some expensive miles.

j/k

Was yours a GTA? The 5.7L with the automatic that were white with the gold accents? Those were pretty sweet. They are a bit collectible now, because most of those cars didn't survive in very good shape.
A cherry IROC-Z from the same era would also be really cool to own today.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:59 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
We will agree to disagree about people's feelings about cars. . Why is it dickish to park in two spots if it's way out in no mans land where there's not a single other car?
Actually, we totally agree about people's feelings about cars. I used to spend my Saturdays after my track meets with a toothbrush and 2 or 3 hours of time going over my car. That was high school.
I still don't let anybody eat or drink in my cars. I won't even let warm food be transported in them. I talk to my cars. I tell them when they've been a good boy.

What we disagree on is the concept that Nemo's father in Finding Nemo took a whole ocean journey to understand. You just have to let your baby go and participate in the big wide world without being in a constant state of crisis about what's gonna happen to it.

It's dickish bc
1. As you can see from other people posting on this thread, other people might want to park far away as well. You've just unnecessarily removed an option.
2. If you're parking so far away from everyone else, why the need to take up 2 spaces?
3. You never know when the parking lot will suddenly fill up and now you've taken spot away from someone who needs it (this has happened many times before).
4. No matter of how far away you are when you do this, what you imply to the world is that you and your car are more important than the rules and everyone else.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:09 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
You park far away from everybody and take up two spots?
That’s an invitation for this...https://youtu.be/35K4SRK2LIg’’

Old 03-27-2018, 02:10 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Damn those are some expensive miles.

j/k

Was yours a GTA? The 5.7L with the automatic that were white with the gold accents? Those were pretty sweet. They are a bit collectible now, because most of those cars didn't survive in very good shape.
A cherry IROC-Z from the same era would also be really cool to own today.
Haha, wishful thinking! Mine was a 5.0, but plenty quick enough for me. I had so much fun in that car! It had T-Tops, and was the most spectacular color sapphire blue, I only saw a handful of other TAs that color in the 12 years or so I had it, and never in at other model. It looked sooo beautiful under sodium vapor lights that I would just stand in the mall parking lot and stare at it, lol.

The engine never let me down, but I did have problems with paint and body off and on, then when I moved near the ocean, everything started to rust, and also I only had one parking spot and needed a car that I could drive in rain and snow safely.

I gave it to my nephew, who was drag racing then at the track nearby. I raced there once when I first got it, kicked my brother's butt in his Shelby Charger cause I had better reaction time!. I thought he would take care of it, but I'm sad to say it's been sitting in his yard covered with dirt and leaves for quite some time. I feel guilty and apologize to her when I go over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive