Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 05:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times

Advertisements

Ive had the same Firestone tires for about a year and a half, they are still in great shape, lots of tread left, the only problem is the rear driver side, which is wearing a bit faster on the outer edge, but nothing major.

BTW, I drive a 2006 Hyundai Tucson, its front wheel drive 6 cylinder.

Lately (last month or so), Ive noticed that while driving expressway speeds when pavement is wet, my car seems to want to slide around, its gotten scary a couple times, but thankfully Ive been able to keep it under control so far. Happens at about 60mph and up. It feels like Im driving on ice really, (that feeling you get that the car wants to slide).

I tried an aggressive turn yesterday at low speed, just to see if the car would slide on wet pavement, but it held just fine, so it appears like this only happens at higher speed.

Anyone ever have something like this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 06:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
More specifics on the tire would help. I had this problem on my Challenger, and it was due to the high-performance tires on it, meant for dry weather and rated to 180 mph. Changing them to All Season tires took care of the problem, and they were still rated faster than I would go at 118 mph. If this did not happen before, and just recently started, I would check the tire date codes. perhaps they were already a few years old when put on the car, and are now dried out enough to lose their traction.

https://www.continental-tires.com/ca...wledge/lex-1-2

Old 03-30-2018, 07:01 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
If one day you are driving encounter a pool 1 inche deep that covers the entire surface - and you hit it at highway speed, it is more than likely you WILL lose all control.

OP, you are hydroplaning. Although they look like they still have a "lot" of life, your tires are done - at least as far as wet weather driving is concerned. Time to pony up for a new set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhUKg1qMWqk

The cars in the above vid hydroplaned because the water was deep. On your tires it will take far less water to get the same effect.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-30-2018 at 07:11 AM..

Old 03-30-2018, 07:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If one day you are driving encounter a pool 1-2 inches deep that covers the entire surface - and you hit it at highway speed, it is more than likely you WILL lose all control.

OP, you are hydroplaning. Although they look like they still have a "lot" of life, your tires are done - at least as far as wet weather driving is concerned. Time to pony up for a new set.
They only have about 15K miles on them though?

Old 03-30-2018, 07:10 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
You are hydroplaning.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:37 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
They only have about 15K miles on them though?
I am going by your description of what is happening. But feel free to do a penny test and report back.

Stick a penny (Lincoln's head down) between the tread blocks and report how much of his head is visible...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...180330133634:s

Old 03-30-2018, 10:02 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,060 times
Have your wheel telemetry checked, if the toe or camber is off the tire won't sit on the road evenly which means you don't have the full amount of tread on road which could lead to hydroplaning.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:15 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,564,922 times
Check your specific tire at TireRack.com for ratings of the wet traction. A lot of tires fall off pretty quickly, and lesser tires can be dangerously worn at 15k miles. Since good tires are one of the most important safety components on any car, don't take chances for the sake of a relatively small dollar investment. Change them before something bad happens!

Old 03-30-2018, 12:26 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive had the same Firestone tires for about a year and a half, they are still in great shape, lots of tread left, the only problem is the rear driver side, which is wearing a bit faster on the outer edge, but nothing major.

BTW, I drive a 2006 Hyundai Tucson, its front wheel drive 6 cylinder.

Lately (last month or so), Ive noticed that while driving expressway speeds when pavement is wet, my car seems to want to slide around, its gotten scary a couple times, but thankfully Ive been able to keep it under control so far. Happens at about 60mph and up. It feels like Im driving on ice really, (that feeling you get that the car wants to slide).

I tried an aggressive turn yesterday at low speed, just to see if the car would slide on wet pavement, but it held just fine, so it appears like this only happens at higher speed.

Anyone ever have something like this happen?
Yes, it's called hydroplaning, as a couple of people have already pointed out.

Consider getting different tires, and for the love of all that is sane and reasonable, adjust your driving to the weather conditions at hand. Speed limits are just that: limits. Nothing says you can't drive more slowly if safety dictates it.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:33 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,205,251 times
Tire pressures directly correlate to the speed a tire will hydroplane. I am guessing you have checked pressures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive