Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 04:21 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
i was a delivery driver for sherwin williams paints when i was 19. It was a standard ford f-350 box truck. I was tasked with picking up 80 gallons of paint from another store, to deliver to a job site. It was a 45 minute trip. 20 minutes into my trek, a kind person pulled up to me at a red light to tell me that the my rear door of my truck was open, . . .i immediately broke into a cold sweat. So, i then pull over to discover an empty box truck, all 80 gallons of paint are gone. I then retraced my route back to an intersection(powerline and sample in south florida), where i witnessed elderly people driving full speed into five gallon buckets of paint and dragging them underneath their cars without stopping. There were police there watching this take place, and i humbly walked up to them to let them know i was responsible, . . .they laughed.
Holy crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 07:12 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
That 140mph race against the Porsche on Route 80 when I was young. One reason I've achieved getting old is learning the lesson of how stupid that was after thinking about it later, after my right leg had stopped trembling. That said, I did win the race.
What were you driving?

Old 03-25-2018, 07:30 AM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
My worst driving mistake is one that I caused an accident. Two lane state highway with a center turn lane at the lighted intersection. I get in the left turn lane at the red light. The road ahead of me isn’t straight. From my perspective the road curves to the right and is not visible less than a quarter mile ahead. In the turn lane across the intersection from me are several large vehicles. These vehicles blocked my view of the road ahead except for the first few car lengths. Light turns green (not green arrow) and I start across the intersection. That’s when I see the oncoming car that wasn’t already at the intersection. He was injured and I wasn’t. I did have full coverage and acknowledged responsibility. This type of wreck happens so often at this intersection that a few years later it was widened for increase visibility. Now if I can’t see the oncoming traffic then I don’t turn left no matter how much the people behind me honk their horns.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:09 AM

1,847 posts, read 833,583 times
Most recent experience, Was when I tried to turn left at a small intersect (going from a East direction to North). Made it almost all the way around the turn and started to fell the rear wheels sliding. Eventually did a complete 180 and wound up parallel and only a couple inches away from a truck that was heading in the South direction. Wasn't raining and I was only going 10-12 MPH. Most likely cause by bad tires.
Worst experience was attempting to drive after only getting three hours of sleep over a four day period. Had just finished a bunch of deliverers heading from Dallas to LA. Left LA at about 7 or 8 PM to drive to El Paso. I remember getting on the freeway in LA and then just magically appearing in Phoenix at around 6 or 7 in the morning. Was going around 30 MPH on the freeway swerving back and forth. Wound up leaving that job when I got back to Dallas.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:33 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Mine was actually a parking accident, so not sure if it counts! I drove over one of those cement parking barrier things at the end of the parking spot (I didn't see it lol). Luckily there were a few guys in a car nearby, and they came over and lifted the front of my car and pushed it back. It was highly embarrassing. If they had made remarks about women drivers, or blondes, in that moment, I'd have stood quietly and said nothing!

Old 03-25-2018, 11:33 AM

382 posts, read 513,598 times
I've caused an accident and done a lot of other stupid things similar to what has been posted here already, but those weren't the scariest or probably dumbest. That award goes to driving about an hour back from a girlfriend's house after about 30 hours awake. I was in a 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood that you could have driven over downed redwoods in and never known it. That car was generally a waste of steel, but numb, smooth and quiet don't even begin to describe it otherwise.

So, I was cruising through the country side at about 4am when suddenly the edge of the road just straight up melted and disappeared... It just up and vanished. Pretty soon, so did the opposing lane... The the bridge I was driving over did too! It all just melted from existence and turned into blackness. I turned my lights on and off and hit the hi beams and nothing happened. It was all just black.

It was right about that time that I figured out I fell asleep at the wheel and snapped out of it... Lucky as hell that I was still in my lane and there wasn't any other traffic. This was also only about 15 minutes into the drive and nothing other that pure terror, and slapping myself in the face at full force about every 3 minutes whether or not I felt I needed it, kept me awake for the rest of it. Some 20 years after the fact now, I would have just stayed at her place or slept in a gas station parking lot or something, but once I had reached that point in the trip I was doomed to continue on. I was in the middle of the sticks with nowhere to pull off without creating just as much of a hazard to other drivers.

Scared the hell out of me and I've never done it again.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:42 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Two come to mind:

When I was 16, I was driving on very hilly 2-lane road which was out in the country and thus had not been plowed or salted and was pretty icy. I was used to snow/ice since I lived in Syracuse (lol) so should have known better. There was a car in front of me and the hills were steep enough where I would lose sight of the car in front of me periodically. I wasn't going fast but was following far too closely for the conditions. I went over the top of a hill only to see that the car in front of me had stopped and was signalling for a left turn. There was traffic coming from the opposing side of the road. On my right was a creek, so no good place to steer. I panicked and hit the brakes, which was the worst thing that I could have done in that instance. The car spun out several times, stopping inches from the creek and nearly missing the opposing traffic. I got lucky that I didn't end up in the creek or in an accident that day.

The other dumb thing that I've done was drive from Memphis, TN to Syracuse, NY after being awake for 26 hours. I found myself suddenly snapping to attention when my front wheels were hitting grass and gravel in the median on the interstate. I didn't even recall feeling tired and realized that I couldn't recall the past 50 miles of the drive. I got off at the next exit and walked around, bought some expresso, then drove with the windows open since it was February I stayed awake for the rest of the drive although I was absolutely exhausted and it didn't help that the car I was driving (Grand Marquis) felt like a living room on wheels.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:58 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
What were you driving?
A Corvette. The legal age for drinking is 21. The legal age for operating a Corvette should be 31.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:07 AM

2,067 posts, read 1,069,846 times
Getting behind the wheel.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:20 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaMe View Post
My worst driving mistake would be when a hedgehog a crossed the road and I accidentally hit it , the hedgehog survived
Did you survive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive