Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 09:18 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,965,132 times

Advertisements

I've had this as a mechanical issue. When I flipped the turn signal stalk one way too hard, it flipped into the reverse way. So, if I gave the signal stalk a quick flip for a right signal (normal behavior), the stalk could "bounce" to the left signal side. I had to gently move the signal stalk!

I'm not saying this might be the case here. After all, I've only seen that on one 1960 era car! The mechanics, I think, are likely improved somewhat since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 03:25 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,637,567 times
There's times where another driver and myself are at the opposite sides of the streets, at a stop sign. At stop signs, you need to signal if you're making a turn. If you're not making a turn, you don't put on your signal and you proceed to go straight. There have been times where the driver on the opposite side from me did not put on their signal so I proceeded to go straight...thinking they were going straight as well. Needless to say that when they made that left turn, without a signal, I was extremely pissed. But I notice this happens a lot with a certain demographic...

Old 03-27-2018, 04:26 AM

61,227 posts, read 86,103,763 times
Believe or not, significant proportion of our population has real difficulty in telling right from left. For some it is second nature but for others a considerable challenge.
It's hardly the end of the world if you take the wrong direction on a journey, but there are many situations where confusing right from left can have devastating consequences. Some of the most tragic errors in medicine have been when surgery was performed on the wrong side of a patient: removing the wrong kidney or amputating the wrong leg. Hint: I work in a hospital, and it happens more often than you wish to know.

Beside some medical issues (it's called directional dyslexia), distraction effect still plays most important role. These people know exactly where right and left are, and if they concentrate, they don’t mix them up. However, under stress, time pressure, tiredness, or if the brain is occupied by other thoughts or actions, their action come randomly.

If you are curious about yourself, you can take a test here, because an individual’s ability to self-determine how well they could distinguish right from left is often imprecise.
https://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/java/hands1.html

Old 03-27-2018, 06:53 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,220,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Ugh
You make a mistake and accidentally end up in a turning lane you didn't intend, you make the turn and turn around later. Don't make your mistake become a problem for others.
This right here. And not just a problem but a hazard.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:45 AM

6,916 posts, read 3,901,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
This isn’t the first time I saw this but it was the first time it nearly caused an accident. Saw a car with a right turn sign but ended up turning left. Have also seen the reverse, left turn signal but turned right. Are their turn signals switched or are they so clueless that they don’t know how to operate a turn signal?
That's why I don't go by the turn signal. I wait to see what the driver actually does. I make that a point when I am at intersections where I have a stop sign and the cars on the perpendicular street don't. If I see a car approaching from my left or right and they are signaling a turn of some sort, I wait until I see them actually making the turn, and I don't care if that pisses off the person behind me.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:52 AM

6,916 posts, read 3,901,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Wow! Folks actually use turn signals? Mind you I do and am in the correct turning lane. My doctorate degree son says Mom,your already in the turn lane,it's nnsense to put your signal on. I just keep on,keeping on. Heck I don't even trust folks who have their signal on. Been in some predicaments when I went to pull out and they were going straight . No officer ever chastised the person who had the wrong turn signal on! But let someone assume they are turning and it's safe to pull out. Get ready for science 101. Two things cannot occupy the same space.
Nor should they. In a situation like that, it would be a failure to yield on the part of the driver who assumed the other car was making a turn just on the basis of the turn signal being on.

My brother, who has held every single NY State license aside from a Class A, and has driven everything on the road except for tractor-trailers and HazMat vehicles, stumped me with that question once - who is responsible if a car pulls out of an intersection in front of a car signaling to turn at that same intersection but keeps on going straight, therefore an accident occurs? Naturally, I said the person signalling the turn was to blame.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:49 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,585,003 times
I had a moron signal left. As I passed him to the right, he decided to turn right -- striking my car and causing $8,000 worth of damage to it.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:16 PM

3,441 posts, read 2,785,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Nor should they. In a situation like that, it would be a failure to yield on the part of the driver who assumed the other car was making a turn just on the basis of the turn signal being on.

My brother, who has held every single NY State license aside from a Class A, and has driven everything on the road except for tractor-trailers and HazMat vehicles, stumped me with that question once - who is responsible if a car pulls out of an intersection in front of a car signaling to turn at that same intersection but keeps on going straight, therefore an accident occurs? Naturally, I said the person signalling the turn was to blame.
The person who pulls out is to blame. If you are entering a roadway, it's your responsibility to make sure it's completely safe to pull out. Doesn't matter if the turn signal is on in the car that has the right of way. They may be turning immediately after the intersection. I almost made that mistake as a new driver. Thankfully I didn't end up pulling out and causing an accident. I learned my lesson, that's for sure!

Old 03-28-2018, 08:20 AM

17,487 posts, read 17,349,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
The person who pulls out is to blame. If you are entering a roadway, it's your responsibility to make sure it's completely safe to pull out. Doesn't matter if the turn signal is on in the car that has the right of way. They may be turning immediately after the intersection. I almost made that mistake as a new driver. Thankfully I didn't end up pulling out and causing an accident. I learned my lesson, that's for sure!
It’s a different situation on a multi lane road and a vehicle in the center lane signals right then hits the vehicle passing on the left.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:31 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,017,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
This isn’t the first time I saw this but it was the first time it nearly caused an accident. Saw a car with a right turn sign but ended up turning left. Have also seen the reverse, left turn signal but turned right. Are their turn signals switched or are they so clueless that they don’t know how to operate a turn signal?
NY drivers - seen em do this all the time here in CT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive