Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 05:13 PM

4 posts, read 2,985 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live in Los Angeles and I received a street sweeping parking ticket. A neighbor saw the officer writing the ticket and let him know that I stepped inside the house, but I'd be coming out to move my car. My neighbor told me that the officer didn't write me a ticket since he intervened and I didn't have anything on my windshield when I went to move my car.

Next thing you know...I receive a delinquent notice in the mail.

I have a few questions:

1) Since I did not have a notice placed on my windshield, is this ticket legal?

2) In checking with the bureau, I was told there are no pictures of my car. Can I get the ticket dismissed because of this?

3) Can I claim a mistake with this ticket and that the wrong car has been cited (error in the license plate) considering there are no pictures and I didn't even get the ticket on my windshield?

In the interest of not going off on tangents, please respond based on the above events I've described and if you know something for a fact related to the above questions.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 07:36 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
Here's how it works in every city.
They will claim- your vehicle was parked in violation of whatever parking law. A ticket was issued. It was placed on your car. If it became 'missing', they don't care. Make whatever argument you want to try. Final judgment will be- pay the fine, with added fine for not paying on time.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:21 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Is your neighbor willing to go to court with you and testify about his interaction with the police? And that the officer never placed a ticket on the vehicle? That could help.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:54 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unk945 View Post
Hello,

I live in Los Angeles and I received a street sweeping parking ticket. A neighbor saw the officer writing the ticket and let him know that I stepped inside the house, but I'd be coming out to move my car. My neighbor told me that the officer didn't write me a ticket since he intervened and I didn't have anything on my windshield when I went to move my car.

I have a few questions:

2) In checking with the bureau, I was told there are no pictures of my car. Can I get the ticket dismissed because of this?

3) Can I claim a mistake with this ticket and that the wrong car has been cited (error in the license plate) considering there are no pictures and I didn't even get the ticket on my windshield?

In the interest of not going off on tangents, please respond based on the above events I've described and if you know something for a fact related to the above questions.

1) Yes.

2) Not aware of such a requirement in this area. Maybe this is specific to LA.

3) On the ticket, there should be blanks for the officer to fill in on the make & model of car & license plate number. Did the officer fill in the proper make and model of car? If not, and the license plate number is wrong also, you may have a good case for dismissal. If just the license plate number is wrong, but the make and model of car are correct, it is a tossup if the judge will dismiss it; probably not as the judge will allow a clerical error.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:10 AM

24,619 posts, read 9,449,501 times
I'd just pay the ticket. It's not worth going to collections and ruining your credit over.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:32 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,216 times
I would appeal the ticket, but you may have to pay it first. I appealed a ticket and had to pay it up front-on time. I continued the appeal and they eventually issued a refund. Ask you neighbor to write you a brief note, or email on what he understood happened and then send this with the appeal and note the fact that there was no ticket on your windshield.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:59 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Hello,

I have a few questions:

The parking control guy didn't want to get in a fight with your neighbor, so it was easier for him to print the ticket but not leave it. You admit that you were illegally parked. So I fail to see how any of this is a defense. You were parked illegally. Pay the ticket.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:02 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Here's how it works in every city.
They will claim- your vehicle was parked in violation of whatever parking law. A ticket was issued. It was placed on your car. If it became 'missing', they don't care. Make whatever argument you want to try. Final judgment will be- pay the fine, with added fine for not paying on time.
no it won't. I got out of a 92 in a 55 ticket in Cali with no issues.... I waited till the fine was due then asked for an extension, which I received. When the extension was almost up I sent the following... "Im on a highway in California, supposedly doing 92 miles per hour, in a Fiat, at 3pm... how is that possible?"

They sent me my "bail money" back...

Old 03-31-2018, 05:45 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Hello,

I have a few questions:

How much is the ticket for? As a non-moving violation it will not effect your insurance rates. I say, pay it and be done.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:31 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
LADOT administers parking tickets, so you do not have to worry about insurance rate increases as it's a financial demand for the infraction, not a moving violation. You have 21 days to contest the ticket, I believe, and can appeal to Superior Court if there's a disagreement with the hearing officer. However, for a street sweeping ticket, I do not think that would be worth the aggravation, especially since the car was parked illegally.

Regardless as to your neighbor's intervention, the parking officer has limited discretion, and had you been walking to the car from your door, would likely not have issued the ticket, but many times, once the plate is in their ticketing device, they do not have the option to stop the citation. It's a cost of owning a car in a major city, which is a pain in the neck sometimes.

You can appeal if you're within the allowed window, but if you got a late notice, the appeals are likely closed. If you don't pay it, you will incur extra fees.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive