Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:58 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times

Advertisements

Let me solve 'your' problem.

Sounds like you are married...and perhaps young, non?

You have a car, and now she wants a new car, yes?

So......let (wrong word choice, but you know what I mean) her pick out a car she likes. Orange body, purple seats, one front wheel drive; one rear wheel drive; V-8; six speed manual; bench seat; no radio; shag carpets.....

You don't care! It is HER CAR to drive as she wishes. Your job is to say yes dear, it is lovely. Don't get involved in the decision process. And why would you? She picks it out, she drives it. She is happy. Life is good.

Understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 02:22 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
You don't care! It is HER CAR to drive as she wishes. Your job is to say yes dear, it is lovely. Don't get involved in the decision process. And why would you? She picks it out, she drives it. She is happy. Life is good.

Understand?
She wants a car - new, under a certain price, with certain upper-end model and package options - that does not appear to exist.

Understand?

Old 04-05-2018, 02:26 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I don't see a truly winning scenario here, given that there is no new car with the features demanded at the price set.
I disagree with this. I think it is possible to find a new car with the features demanded at $22k, if the OP is willing to do the research and legwork. Several alternatives have been mentioned with MSRPs approaching $23-24k, and with some negotiation $22k is achievable.

That being said, I understand if the OP doesn't want to go that length. Lot's of people have trouble with the math (my sister is one of those) and many don't want to haggle with the dealerships. And yes, low mileage 2 and 3 year old cars (get a Carfax and make sure they weren't previous rental cars!!!) are excellent alternatives.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:11 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Cx5
Q3
Used X1 35i xdrive

Old 04-05-2018, 03:18 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
*sigh* the worst new car has fewer problems per 100 cars than the best new car of 10 years ago. That's why I said it. If you wouldn't call a 2009 Toyota unreliable, even though it has more problems per 100 cars than a new Fiat, then so is a new Fiat, which statistically has fewer problems per 100 cars. You're holding on to an idea from 30 years ago.

And Fiat stands for Fabricca Italiana Automobili Torino. Just because your 12 year old brain can only come up with the old joke of Fix It Again Tony doesn't mean it's true.
You go ahead and buy a Fiat and see much trouble you have with it. You'll be visiting Tony on a regular basis.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:24 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:

So......let (wrong word choice, but you know what I mean) her pick out a car she likes. Orange body, purple seats, one front wheel drive; one rear wheel drive; V-8; six speed manual; bench seat; no radio; shag carpets.....

Understand?
My wife was just on the market for a new vehicle. I kept my input to a minimum because I didn't want her to get or pass up something based on my personal preferences. I did do my best to steer her away from the Jeep Cherokee that she really liked. And that was due to its poor reliability, its jittery ride, and its poor fuel economy. She finally settled on a 2018 Subaru Outback Touring, which she picked up yesterday. After the process was all over I told her that is the exact vehicle I would have gotten, based on her driving needs and habits.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:48 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
She wants a new vehicle purchase for no more than $22,000. What’s nearly impossible is she wants a crossover/suv with power driver’s seat and she wants it to be a new vehicle. She is as picky about her vehicle as she is about ordering from Subway. We visited a Toyota dealership and the RAV4 lowest window sticker price was about $24,000. The one smaller than the RAV4 wasn’t to her liking. The Honda CRV wasn’t much cheaper. She doesn’t want Chevy but she’d consider Ram/Jeep. She’d look at Hyundai/Kia but not the Soul. I asked her and she wouldn’t even look at the midsize sedans or smaller. I’m wondering if her only option is a long term loan with low monthly payments. What’s the longest (years) loan for a new vehicle? It’s like she has champagne taste on a beer budget. She currently drives a 2007 Chrysler Sebring sedan with 2.4L 4 cylinder and doesn’t want to go down in size even though I told her today’s compact and midsize sedans are far better in quality than what she’s driving now. She stands only 4 feet 10 inches tall. We don’t have kids and only occasionally have one additional person, her sister. We live in Lafayette Louisiana. She lives in constant pain from her spine and arthritis so I’m not keen on telling her no.
Stop getting involved in the car shopping process!!! Just be the patient chauffeur and let the dealerships tell her no. Stop arguing with her or trying to change her mind. Just tune out all the nonsense spewing from her mouth.

Otherwise, considering that her current car is a 12 year old Sebring, she should be ecstatic driving a used certified RAV4 or CRV. And buying a new car is a stupid financial decision anyway.

What if she went car shopping with someone else? A family member or best friend? Sometimes, the husband/wife dynamic gets brutally painful in stressful situations.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:20 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
OP, I have a RAV4 XLE and I bought it because like your wife I'm shorter and want to see the road better. That said, I have it jacked up to the highest seating position and I still need to sit on a pillow and I'm taller than your wife. I don't think it has much of any lumbar support.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:27 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:

Understand?
We’re 49 years old. However, she was the youngest sibling while I was the oldest. I’m not arguing with her. I’m merely pointing out options and prices. We talked together before I bought my 2015 Hyundai Elantra new. In fact, I offered to drive her current car and she get the new vehicle. She said no. After 3 years I’m at around 25,000 miles. If we weren’t her sister’s transportation my miles would be a third less. My wife puts less than half the miles on her vehicle than I do. I’m hoping she can get a Hyundai or Kia because of the features per price and warranty. If we can get a good deal on a Honda or Toyota with the options she wants that too would be good. I also want her to look at Nissan because of their reported seat comfort.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:14 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Local Nissan dealership will be visited soon for two reasons. First, rebate offers on the 2018 Altima to make room for the new 2019 Altima coming this fall bringing the Altima price within her range with power driver’s seat. Second reason is someone wife knows is working there in finance department. Her friend can at least look at the numbers and tell her what she can afford so she can get the best vehicle for the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive