Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:07 AM

25,333 posts, read 16,968,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
He's probably right. Maybe the driver in the incident was rockin' out to a good Rush song like Tom Sawyer!
Well, I'm betting he went from rockin out to wetting his pants in just a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 12:30 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,983,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I find it odd that a truck like this one doesnt have some kind of warning or lock out mechanism making it impossible for the truck to move if the bucket is still in the raised position.
I once saw a truck driving in front of me that had its bucket raise while it was going about 50mph. The driver seemed completely oblivious to it, even as junk started to spill out of it.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,565 posts, read 57,481,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My son drives a truck, so he gets to talk to a lot of truck drivers. He says some of them aren't very smart.
As a CDL driver...(and farmer) there is a LOT that can happen any minute / everyday... You just thank your lucky stars everyday you make it home alive.

Seems this guy wanted to unload FAST, his boss was probably scolding him at the time. (certainly later...)

Then there is that simple mistake of loading the excavator "Digger" with the boom facing forward... woops.

Backhoe Crashes Into Highway Bridge | DailyCognition

One of my (ex) farmer friends was towing a large grain auger down the road behind his tractor. Somehow it started raising until it found a power line...

But I lost 3 co-workers in one day due to a welding spark in a grain elevator. so.. the risks are everywhere.

Life is fragile, handle with care. (and be glad you have a 'safe' office job!)

Old 04-06-2018, 03:31 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,717,890 times
This is about as fun as it gets...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eQTVExTPUs

Old 04-06-2018, 04:31 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,230,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
This is about as fun as it gets...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eQTVExTPUs
That's illegal in some states, I believe. I know Pennsylvania has a law on the books against that, if it causes death or serious bodily injury:

Pennsylvania Vehicle Code Law:

§ 3720. Snow and ice dislodged or falling from moving vehicle.

When snow or ice is dislodged or falls from a moving vehicle and strikes another vehicle or pedestrian causing death or serious bodily injury, the operator of the vehicle from which the snow or ice is dislodged or falls shall be subject to a fine of not less than $200 nor more than $1,000 for each offense.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,988,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I once saw a truck driving in front of me that had its bucket raise while it was going about 50mph. The driver seemed completely oblivious to it, even as junk started to spill out of it.
was listening on the news this morning and thats what witnesses said happened,the truck barely missed the previous overpass and it seemed the bucket was rising as the truck was moving along.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:51 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,456,672 times
Locally a driver with a piece of heavy equipment on board drove under an active RR trestle and drove away. The moron actually knocked it half off the pier and then ran off without reporting it.
Apex Police: Man charged with leaving scene after truck hits, damages bridge | abc11.com

Old 04-06-2018, 05:57 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,456,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
was listening on the news this morning and thats what witnesses said happened,the truck barely missed the previous overpass and it seemed the bucket was rising as the truck was moving along.
Sounds like the pump was not running when the truck was loaded up but the valve was in the raised position. As he drove down the road, the pump was engaged and it raised the bed while underway.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:12 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,089,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I'm not a truck driver and I came to that conclusion too! 10-4 good buddy!
Don't get on a CB with that "good buddy" crap unless you Like to....welll, you'll find out!

Old 04-07-2018, 12:58 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,518,132 times
I've driven tractor trailers, dump trucks, motorcycles, and automobiles. I check my rearview mirrors on a regular basis. I don't understand drivers who do these sort of things. Don't they ever look in their rearview mirror?

The problem seems to be, people aren't taught HOW to drive, they just seem to be taught how to PASS the driver's test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive