Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2018, 11:28 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Not according to German vehicles. BMW, Audi, and MB are still seeing pretty strong sedan sales here in the US. Same for Japanese automakers.

Who is suffering with sedan sales is American Automakers.
^^^THIS^^^

You're absolutely right.

Even Volkswagen, Hyundai, and Kia are selling sedans and I see plenty of them on the road.

However, the Big 3 are lamenting daily over their lackluster sales of sedans.

I have no doubt that they would have no trouble selling more of them, if they produced them with the same level of quality and reliability as the German and Asian makes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
That’s normal for SoCal though. Gas probably has to get over $5 a gallon for it to be considered expensive there.

In non-coast regions of the country, 3-4 is when it starts to get expensive.

Regardless, I heard in 2015 that gas prices will remain low for the rest of the decade (now less than two years). I’ve also heard more recently that gas prices will remain at a stable, low price indefinitely barring any temporary disruptions such as natural disaster.
Or another dumb*** military conflict, like with Syria, Iran, or (fill-in-the-blank) or a dumb*** trade war with China or (fill-in-the-blank).

Old 04-10-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
That’s what makes America great we have the choice of what we want to drive, many love driving a F350 as a daily driver. That’s why pickup trucks out sell every vehicle on the road because that’s what most of the American vehicle buying public want. There’s a reason that the F150 has been the best selling vehicle in America.
Or that's what most of the American vehicle buying public as been programmed to want.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This is consistent with my observations. But it's also worth realizing, that not all people have families, large pets, or plethora of stuff to move. Some people enjoy spirited driving. Others prize maximizing gas mileage. Others are closer to 5'-0" than 6'-0", and actually feel more comfortable getting into a coupe or sedan, than a truck-based vehicle.

I want to have a sensation that I'm actually driving the vehicle, rather than it's driving me. This means something small and light, with a traditional manual transmission, and ideally rear wheel drive. If the car gets stuck somewhere, I want for it to be sufficiently light-weight, that I could push it. If it won't start, I want for it to be sufficiently light-weight, that I could push start it. Notice a theme here?

My girlfriend and I, and our typical appurtenances (whatever is in the back seat - if there is one; trunk, etc.) weigh well under 400 pounds combined. Let's think about that. <400 pounds of total vehicle payload. Why would I want to drive a 4000-pound vehicle? An 800-pound vehicle makes far more sense. Maybe 1000 pounds. Those aren't really available, so I settle for a 2200-pound Miata. Anything larger would be ridiculous. Am I alone in such thinking?
Not at all.

In fact, I like your thinking except I prefer AWD for better handling and because occasionally my knees will talk to me, no manual transmission but a DSG instead, but otherwise, I pretty much agree.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:23 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Or that's what most of the American vehicle buying public as been programmed to want.

Why ARE pickups so popular right now?
If people don’t have an actual need for them. MY suburbanite BIL got an F150 and he preened over it like it made him a cowboy or something. But he had no actual use for it other than hauling an occasional bag of mulch from the garden center at Walmart.

We’ve had all of ours for hauling horse trailers, sheep, hay, feed, wood, etc. if you live on a ranch or farm you need one.

I don’t get why most people who have them actually want them other than they feel that they confer some kind of status on them.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:31 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
If people don’t have an actual need for them. MY suburbanite BIL got an F150 and he preened over it like it made him a cowboy or something. But he had no actual use for it other than hauling an occasional bag of mulch from the garden center at Walmart.

We’ve had all of ours for hauling horse trailers, sheep, hay, feed, wood, etc. if you live on a ranch or farm you need one.

I don’t get why most people who have them actually want them other than they feel that they confer some kind of status on them.
F150s are so rare in the northeast NYC suburb I live that I'll notice one - it stands out driving by. Pretty much the only people who have them are the Hispanic guys running their own landscaper/lawn businesses. Even then, most of those guys have small open-backed trucks instead.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post

Exactly.

Monkey see, monkey do.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:45 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
^^^THIS^^^

You're absolutely right.

Even Volkswagen, Hyundai, and Kia are selling sedans and I see plenty of them on the road.

However, the Big 3 are lamenting daily over their lackluster sales of sedans.

I have no doubt that they would have no trouble selling more of them, if they produced them with the same level of quality and reliability as the German and Asian makes.
Reliability and German shouldn't be used in the same sentence. I was recently on the verge of buying a Mercedes E63 AMG - until I visited several M-B message forums. Reliability is beyond dismal - its flat out atrocious.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:05 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The minivan is thevehicle of the past. Ford and GMC no longer build them, and Chrysler still builds one at this time, but not built in the USA. Phased out, and soon so will the sedan be gone.

The big thing is, they have shrunk sedans, and other cars in size to the point that a tall man or woman cannot even sit up in one, let alone drive one. They are now just sardine can size vehicles. Their ability to carry people is so small, that to be able to haul a family or number of people, has shrunk to the size that they no longer are adequate for those that are switching to SUVs and Pickups.

The car people call the large SUVs and Pickups, the most dangerous vehicles in the world. Not dangerous to the Pickup and SUV passengers, but for the people in the modern cars that run into them. They call these the most dangerous vehicles in the world, instead of calling those small modern cars the most dangerous as they are the cars people are dying in.
seriously? No.

my 2018 Camry is longer and more roomy front and back than my 2004.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:48 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
There’s a reason that the F150 has been the best selling vehicle in America.
Yes, there is a reason. It's one of a handful of full-size pickups. Not to mention fleet sales.

I'll be generous and let you include fleet sales. Add all pickup sales together. Now, add all sedan sales together. Sedans are still more popular than pickups, your manipulation of statistics notwithstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive