Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 04:39 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,055,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
This is America we can buy what we want and pickups and SUVs are the vehicles of the future, like it or not Americans love their big trucks regardless of what others say.
No one's debating whether or not individuals have the right to buy the vehicle they want.

Do try to keep up with the posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 05:03 PM

6,975 posts, read 5,299,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
No one's debating whether or not individuals have the right to buy the vehicle they want.

Do try to keep up with the posts.
When i gad my House it was my choice to have a pickup, we’re is it written that as soon as you get a house you need a pickup. In my generation you drove a pickup like a pickup not a family truckster.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:20 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,055,706 times
Quote:
When i gad my House it was my choice to have a pickup, we’re is it written that as soon as you get a house you need a pickup. In my generation you drove a pickup like a pickup not a family truckster.
Dude, I think you're confusing me with someone else.

I never said when you get a house then you need to buy a truck, that was another poster.

I said I'm a home owner and I've never had a need to buy a truck because if need something that may require a truck then I either have the item delivered or I would rent a cargo van.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:17 PM

6,975 posts, read 5,299,813 times
Quote:
Dude, I think you're confusing me with someone else.

I never said when you get a house then you need to buy a truck, that was another poster.

I said I'm a home owner and I've never had a need to buy a truck because if need something that may require a truck then I either have the item delivered or I would rent a cargo van.
Sorry my bad age catching up with me.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:47 PM

18,924 posts, read 43,225,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Those last items are not really the same logic at all. The price point comparison and frequency of use scale is way, way out of scale compared to the discussion at hand.

And once again, I'm not saying that some people don't find trucks useful. But, give me a truck and im not going to be going on dump runs or RVing or anything else that you do. Those just aren't my things. If they were, I'd own a truck in the first place. Most people I know who own trucks are not RVing, off-roading, making dump runs, picking up mulch etc. on a regular basis. They're sitting in traffic on 635 between their desk job and their house.

It sounds like for you, the purchase was justified. I've never said the purchase doesn't make sense for some people, nor have I said that there is anything wrong with people spending their own money on a truck if they simply like driving a truck. Just pointing out that it is extremely easy to get by for easily 95%+ of homeowner's without ever owning a truck.

Even though I’m not a hunter, I’d guess about 1/3 of the men in my area like to hunt. So technically these people are only “using” their truck 3 months out of the year, the rest of the time it’s simply transportation to work. No hunter wants to throw a bleeding deer in the back of a sedan or SUV.

What I’m getting at, is just because all you see is someone in a truck on the highway, that doesn’t mean they don’t use it. And with modern bedliners, it’s certainly possible to use the bed of a truck and still keep it looking nice, so just because the bed isn’t all scratched and dented up doesn’t mean it’s not used.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:12 PM

13,567 posts, read 9,576,463 times
Quote:
This is America we can buy what we want and pickups and SUVs are the vehicles of the future, like it or not Americans love their big trucks regardless of what others say.
Quote:
Market-forces influence us all. If we have unusual tastes, we're going to have to pay more, to indulge those tastes. And possibly, there is no option to indulge, at any price.

Consider for example the manual transmission. How many cars these days are equipped with one? If I want, say, a new Camry with a manual transmission, what are my options? I can only buy the vehicle that I want, if there is enough consumer-demand, so that manufacturers could turn a profit, in building such vehicles. So, if the market emphasizes trucks, then the best engineering and product-development and manufacturing-prowess is going to be applied to trucks. Sedans are going to suffer. And what about coupes? Remember coupes?

Old 04-12-2018, 08:23 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,729,543 times
Quote:
400M???!!!

Holy ****, Batman!!!!!

Does he expect every future generation of his family to be driving this Forester into perpetuity?
Yeah, a Suburu that they're expecting to put 400,000,000 on the odometer?

LOL.

You're right - that could take a few centuries.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:38 AM

11,138 posts, read 15,906,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The big thing is, they have shrunk sedans, and other cars in size to the point that a tall man or woman cannot even sit up in one, let alone drive one. They are now just sardine can size vehicles. Their ability to carry people is so small, that to be able to haul a family or number of people, has shrunk to the size that they no longer are adequate for those that are switching to SUVs and Pickups.
Just because you keep repeating this doesn't mean it is true for all sedans. I'm 6'4" and 235 and I fit very comfortably into my Jaguar XJL. And I bought it not only so that I could fit comfortably into it, but also so that anyone sitting in the back seat behind me could fit comfortably into it as well.

You keep talking about the "average" sedan and I keep telling you to stop considering average sedans.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:26 AM

11,138 posts, read 15,906,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Some time you should sit in the back seat of a crew cab pickup, the most common being bought now. They seat 6, with far more leg, head, and hip room than any sedan on the market regardless of size. My supercab seats 3 back there comfortably, even with two toddlers in car seats a large adult fits nicely.

F150 Crew Cab:
Second Head Room : in 40.4 Second Leg Room : in 43.6 Second Shoulder Room : in 65.9 Second Hip Room : in 64.7

Lincoln Continental:

Second Head Room : in 37.7 Second Leg Room : in 41.3 Second Shoulder Room : in 55.9 Second Hip Room : in 54.8

Not so fast, my friend. The specs for my Jaguar XJL show 44.1 inches for backseat legroom. I can't compare head/hip/shoulder specs because I haven't been able to find them. But as far as legroom in the backseat is concerned, my XJL has a little bit more than your crew cab pickup.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:49 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,675,218 times
People in my part of the country, do not drive Jaguar for one big reason. They do not have the number of dealers with a repair shop, to maintain them. They drive the vehicles to dealers that they can take their car to when they need a dealers shop. In addition they want a car that is designed to handle our winter conditions, not having to be parked in the garage half of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive