Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 09:12 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Alot of people do buy these cars....
Ford Fusion sales for last 5 years:
2013 = 295,280
2014 = 306,860
2015 = 300,170
2016 = 265,840
2017 = 209,623

The Fusion outsells Focus, Edge, Transit, Mustang, E-Series, Fiesta, Taurus and Flex.

So I guess unit sales numbers isn’t what is driving this decision...
Look at the numbers you just posted do you see the steady decline in sales I sure do and so dose Ford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Yes, and this is what I spoke to in an earlier point. A poster responded saying that if we have a problem with Ford’s decision than we should all go out and buy more Ford sedans and maybe they’ll change their mind....when it has been made pretty abundantly clear that it doesn’t matter how many are sold. Ford isn’t interested in meeting the demands of the consumer. It is only interested in selling vehicles with the highest profit margins.

Ford has gone all in with Wall Street....sorry main street.
Like every company out there if you owned a company you’re in it to make money not to loose money, Ford has stockholders to please just like every other large corporation.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:58 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Like every company out there if you owned a company you’re in it to make money not to loose money, Ford has stockholders to please just like every other large corporation.
Sorry but this is a huge pet-peave of mine. It’s lose, not loose.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 05-07-2018 at 11:11 AM..

Old 05-07-2018, 10:11 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Sorry but this is a huge pet-peace of mine. It’s lose, not loose.
Potatoe or Potatah. Who cares?

But back to cars.

Sales are trending downward Ford Fusion, for example. Why?

Anyone ever herd of Marketing????

Old 05-07-2018, 01:42 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Not sure about the sexy part, but wagons rule!
Indeed, they do.

They're the perfect do-almost-everything vehicle whether its transporting people or cargo, they do it in comfort while also being economical and efficient.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:46 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Potatoe or Potatah. Who cares?

But back to cars.

Sales are trending downward Ford Fusion, for example. Why?

Anyone ever herd of Marketing????

I see what you did there...

If one particular brand, or model, isn't selling like it should, it means the market is shifting elsewhere. Does that mean an entire segment is shifting? Or just a player in the segment? I say it's a player in the segment.

Case in point - When the economy is good, McDonald's suffers, cigarette sales go down, beer sales (by volume) go down (most of the time). Now, why is that? One would think that if we're making more money, we'd buy more Big Mac's, Budweiser, and Marlboros (for those who smoke) because we can? The reason why these places fall of their sales paces is because the buyer, who is making more money and feeling better about their own financial outlook, decide it's time to go sit down at a nice restaurant for a custom cheeseburger, maybe give the Nicorette a try, and splurge on a nice mix of Grey Goose instead of Natural Light.

Am I putting Ford in the category of McDonalds? Well, a little yes. Why? Because they're brand here in the states is viewed through the lenses of being domestic, and not exotic.

Given that subprime lending has been in the car market now for a couple of years (cheap money has to go somewhere), I would say that if car sales have slipped in volume, then it is a signal of price, meaning the equilibrium of perceived value has been met. So what should a manufacturer do? They've found the max ceiling the market is willing to pay for something? How do you get even more out of the market?

You change the recipe, you change the perception of value to the buyer. How? You go BIGGER? Ok, 1970's Caddy's again? Land Yacht's? No....... Luxury Trucks.

Sedans may be slowing now, but they'll be back, trust me.

Last edited by NC211; 05-07-2018 at 01:57 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 02:56 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Ford is bailing on cars because the current lineup is in need of a refresh which will cost them a lot of money to implement. So they are leaving the sales of sedans to the Japanese companies.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Asians bail on pickup trucks in the next few years.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:31 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Asians bail on pickup trucks in the next few years.
Unlikely. Every year since 2012, Toyota has sold over 110,000 Tundras. Except for 9/10/11, they've sold at least 140,000 Tacomas a year since 1996. Taco sales are surprisingly steady!

Old 05-08-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Unlikely. Every year since 2012, Toyota has sold over 110,000 Tundras. Except for 9/10/11, they've sold at least 140,000 Tacomas a year since 1996. Taco sales are surprisingly steady!
But way way behind the big 3 pickup sales.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:18 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Here is additional proof of the type of car that will be built in the future. Look at even the most luxurious brands in the nation, are changing and will be building what the customers want. They are all starting to build very expensive SUVs.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rightest-stars

SUVs, Pickups, and crossovers are the car of the future. Sedans, etc. are the cars of the past. Ford is one of the first auto company to go all out for the change, and doing away with building cars with one exception, the Mustang Sports Car. It is going to only build what the public wants, which is Pickups, SUVs, and Crossover vehicles the cars of the future.

Now even the most luxurious auto companies are moving into building the car of the future as the above article shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive