Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 09:00 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Jeep Wrangler.

I'll buy a sedan because I can get one much cheaper.
But I have a history of zigging when everyone else zags.
I'm the exact same way, and has served me well in my life!

I remember not too long ago when SUV's were out of flavor with the public and everyone wanted a fuel efficient vehicle instead. Trading them in masses over $100+ visits every 10 days to the fuel pumps.

Personally, I think these automakers are making a huge and costly mistake. Sure, dial the sedans down and dial up the SUV's, as they have to follow market demand. But don't mothball the whole thing, because it'll cost a boat load to revamp / retool to bring them back when the market demand shifts yet again. But admittedly, I am not an automobile manufacturing expert by any means, so I can't really speak to the profit margins on any segment. Although will say, that in that other thread posted about GM's costs, I was surprised to read that any factory that isn't running at 80% or higher capacity is losing money. To me, that statistic seems to reveal a root cause for the problems at hand for the car makers, and an area where focus should be the most. 80% to break even seems awfully high to me, but again, I'm no expert.

I just don't see the appeal of the little SUV's, minus one or two exceptions (which are German). I also don't see the appeal, in a multi-car home, of having two of the exact same type/thing if you don't have to have it that way. But, that's just me, and I'm a strange bird!

I just hope the European automakers aren't tariffed to death for the US at this point, as I personally enjoy a fast and sleek sedan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 09:14 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
I miss having a sedan. Years ago, when I had a 75 mile round trip commute I needed something that got great mileage and something I didn't care about putting miles on. I had a VW Jetta TDI for that. Loved the car.

That being said, we have a rural cabin about 5 hours away. When we visit there we have two dogs, gear, food, etc. plus need to tow either a UTV and a couple of ATV's (summer) and 3 snowmobiles in the winter. So I have to have a truck or full size SUV.

My wife also needs a vehicle that gets better mileage than the truck due to her commute. So tried a sedan for a few years and with her hobbies it was difficult, she now drives a CUV.

Now that my work commute is only 16 miles round trip and the Jetta had 260k miles on it, I offed it just to have one less vehicle to maintain.

That is why we no longer have a sedan. If there were funds for an extra vehicle, I'd have a Camaro, Challenger or at least a Cadillac ATS-V It's all about the money.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:16 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I'm the exact same way, and has served me well in my life!

I remember not too long ago when SUV's were out of flavor with the public and everyone wanted a fuel efficient vehicle instead. Trading them in masses over $100+ visits every 10 days to the fuel pumps.
$100 gas visit is when I bought a Chevy Tahoe. I sold it five years later for pretty close to what I paid for it.
I also bought a Chevy Cruze Diesel in 11/15. VW crapped the bed in 9/15. I got it for less than a comparable gas Cruze.

I love buying cars when they're "distressed goods".

Old 11-30-2018, 09:22 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
$100 gas visit is when I bought a Chevy Tahoe. I sold it five years later for pretty close to what I paid for it.

Ha! Yep, I did the exact same thing with a Toyota 4Runner V8 in 2008! Traded it (stupidly) in January 2013 after driving it for 100k miles or so for about 80% of what I paid for it.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:26 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
I drove TJ Wranglers back in the day, but somewhere around 2008 I traded it as gas prices topped $4 a gallon. I was spending $75+ a fillup two and three times a week! 14 MGP with $4+ gas was NO fun on my wallet!

Old 11-30-2018, 09:33 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times
Everybody is going to need an AWD SUV because of the Climate change.....snow for everyone (lol)

Old 11-30-2018, 09:45 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,404 times
I ended up buying a wagon - best of both worlds. Sleek and better handling than a tall, blobby CUV, but it still has plenty of utility. Unfortunately, Americans still think wagons are "uncool". These CUVs bore me (save for a few exceptions), and if I plan on using the extra height/ground clearance, I'm getting a proper SUV.

My biggest problem with sedans of recent years is the fastback design that shrinks the trunk opening. If these automakers are gonna do that, why not make it a hatch??? Cars like Kia Stinger and Buick Regal Sportback have the right idea.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:51 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I ended up buying a wagon - best of both worlds. Sleek and better handling than a tall, blobby CUV, but it still has plenty of utility. Unfortunately, Americans still think wagons are "uncool". These CUVs bore me (save for a few exceptions), and if I plan on using the extra height/ground clearance, I'm getting a proper SUV.

My biggest problem with sedans of recent years is the fastback design that shrinks the trunk opening. If these automakers are gonna do that, why not make it a hatch??? Cars like Kia Stinger and Buick Regal Sportback have the right idea.
I love wagons ! Would have loved to have a Jetta TDI wagon. And was bummed when Cadillac discontinued the CTS wagon (CTS-V wagon has to be one of the coolest cars out there) and really like the new Buick Regal TourX. A wagon would be perfect for us...except for the lack of towing.

I'm probably going to order a new truck in the next year. It's going to be a 2500 Mega cab 4WD opting for a gas motor this time instead of diesel. Its the only thing that fits our criteria and budget.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:06 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I love wagons ! Would have loved to have a Jetta TDI wagon. And was bummed when Cadillac discontinued the CTS wagon (CTS-V wagon has to be one of the coolest cars out there) and really like the new Buick Regal TourX. A wagon would be perfect for us...except for the lack of towing.
The TourX is the wagon I ended up getting . Wonderful car, I've put about 15k miles on it so far in the past several months and really enjoy it. The owner's manual originally called for no towing, but GM updated it online with a 1000-lb towing limit. Oddly enough, the Euro version of the car (Opel Insignia Country Tourer), has something like a 4500-lb towing limit. Something to do with regulations, I've heard.

I too was disappointed that the CTS wagon was discontinued. That thing looked sweet, and the -V version was one of my dream cars lol.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:19 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
We have a sedan and CUV between the wife and I. I cringe when I have to drive it. Yes, it can seat 7, fit tons of stuff inside and has AWD and ground clearance, but it sucks on fuel economy, handles poorly and doesn't brake like a sports car.

I do a lot of highway driving. I like my sedan. I feel safer due to the ability to brake and turn better.

But that's just me. I'm fortunate to have one of each in the household so best of both worlds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive