Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 08:17 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times

Advertisements

I am mystified by this. We just returned from the Galapagos islands and I noticed that there is virtually only ONE style of vehicle. 4-door shortbed pickups, mostly white.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...cks&ajaxhist=0

How do you think this comes about? Would the gov't somehow order a fleet and allow just this style onto the islands? I asked locals but heard nothing useful. Plus, they are not cheap---about 50 grand for the low-income locals, which is another mystery. They all looked new, too.

Yes, they are practical, but so are other models....thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 08:58 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Toyota Hi-lux is the to go to vehicle in all countries outside of the US, Canada, and Europe. Rugged and super dependable. Yes they are not cheap but they do last and that is why governments have them as their choice of fleet vehicles. And when the Government sells them, people probably buy them a lot cheaper than they can used. Just guessing though.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:10 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
A place like the Galapagos is a small area where everything has to be shipped in. There might be restrictions on what type of vehicle is allowed there and that is why they are so expensive. It could also be a parts thing too. Would you want to drive the only F150 on the island and have to special order everything it might need or be able to use parts from the most abundant vehicle on the island?

No doubt there are contracts to be the sole provider of vehicles and why would say GM or Ford go after a contract where they get to sell a handful of cars per year?

Old 12-02-2018, 09:20 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,603 times
Betcha they got a warehouse full of extra parts stashed somewhere on the island as well. I wouldn't wanna have that one rare vehicle that parts may be hard to come and nobody knows how to work on them either. The old adage it ai t broke don't fix it may apply there. They drive what they are comfortable with and make last a lifetime.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:58 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,341,504 times
They're most likely owned by the government, the locals probably don't have vehicles of their own.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:16 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
I found a report dating back to 2010 which indicated that the Galapolos had a moratorium on vehicles in order to limit their effects on the delicate and complex archipelago.

https://www.galapagos.org/wp-content...cle-census.pdf

This chart shows most four wheel vehicles are pickup trucks but motorcycles are the most popular form of transport.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:34 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,767,068 times
Well, it's kind of like Great Britain, where for many years the only model of vehicle seen was one parked by the side of the road with the hood up.

These are very small places with a minimum of roads of mostly indifferent condition. It's not a place to go drive your Maserati, smug about in a Prius or drive a pickup half the size of the island. Someone likely cornered the market with the narrow range of vehicle that actually suits needs and preference there. Simple enough.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:50 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
It’s probably a practical vehicle for the area. Mid size crew cabs have been offered around the world for years before they were even remotely available in the States. And I know the Hilux is a very rugged vehicle

Old 12-02-2018, 12:02 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,243,376 times
Tariffs probably play a pretty large part too. I have family in Brazil, the import tariffs there are 100% of the MSRP, meaning you pay double there for those vehicles. There are only a few vehicles actually produced in Brazil, most are small hatchback type vehicles with small engines, that are the dominant vehicles on the road there. I'm guessing the government has tariffs in place to discourage anyone from buying whatever vehicle they want there.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:29 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,055,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I found a report dating back to 2010 which indicated that the Galapolos had a moratorium on vehicles in order to limit their effects on the delicate and complex archipelago.

https://www.galapagos.org/wp-content...cle-census.pdf

This chart shows most four wheel vehicles are pickup trucks but motorcycles are the most popular form of transport.
Very interesting.
Read it and there would be less speculation about the why's and wherefore's of the vehicles on the Galapagos Islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive