Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:09 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,514,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Dude you've got to let this conspiracy nonsense go. As if we don't have enough proof that the government can't keep a secret for more than a couple weeks much less 7 decades. The moon landings were real and there is no 100 mpg carburetor held in a secret bunker by the government.
Really, they cannot keep secrets? LOL

Consider that it was just recently that they declassified majority of the stuff from the JFK shooting (FBI and CIA fought to keep certain parts classified, but a large majority was released), so in ALL those years since the shooting, NONE of this stuff had leaked out...thats pretty effective secret keeping in my book!

The fact that the Invention Secrecy act DOES exist is proof enough they suppress technology, google and wiki even uses the word 'suppress' in their description of the act! LOL There are also FOIA documents that have been released about technologies that have been suppressed, its not CT, its coming directly from Govt. They dont hold it in a bunker either, no need to, as long as no one can legally manufacturer and sell them, thats enough to suppress it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 07:20 AM

20,018 posts, read 8,913,884 times
by 2030, we'll all be going the speed limit and stopping at red lights courtesy of technology

Old 04-25-2018, 07:25 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
by 2030, we'll all be going the speed limit and stopping at red lights courtesy of technology
I'm assuming you are referring to AI. If fully implemented on every vehicle the speed limit becomes whatever is mechanically safe and there is no stop signs and red lights.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:42 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,514,221 times
Quote:
I agree. When my grandkids become adults, they will be joking about the 'old days' when people still had to drive manually. They will wonder how we all survived and got by in such a world, and probably wonder why the switch to self drive was not made sooner....Just wait and see!

Old 04-25-2018, 09:29 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,903,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Really, they cannot keep secrets? LOL

Consider that it was just recently that they declassified majority of the stuff from the JFK shooting (FBI and CIA fought to keep certain parts classified, but a large majority was released), so in ALL those years since the shooting, NONE of this stuff had leaked out...thats pretty effective secret keeping in my book!

The fact that the Invention Secrecy act DOES exist is proof enough they suppress technology, google and wiki even uses the word 'suppress' in their description of the act! LOL There are also FOIA documents that have been released about technologies that have been suppressed, its not CT, its coming directly from Govt. They dont hold it in a bunker either, no need to, as long as no one can legally manufacturer and sell them, thats enough to suppress it.
Ever heard of a site called Wikileaks? It’s been in the news a lot lately.

So the Russians can steal plans on everything from space shuttles to nukes and it’s electric power distribution technology that’s on lockdown? And why? Because an American privately owned utility can’t meter it?
You’re killing me man.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:45 AM

18,948 posts, read 43,421,357 times
Quote:
No we won’t. In 2030 most of the vehicles sold today will still be on the road.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:07 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,272,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
So what do I drive when I go travel on dirt roads in upstate Maine when I go camping/hunting for a week? I'm so far from a gas station I usually have to take a few cans of gas with me from the last station I pass?

How well does that arm work in a blizzard with standing snow on the surface of the road? What if the rails get clogged with snow/ice?

While I welcome the new tech, I think we are far off from ICE vehicles being totally eliminated.
instead of bringing cans, in the future you will bring solar panels to charge your batteries or extra batteries to charge your batteries

Old 04-25-2018, 01:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,331 posts, read 80,658,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
No we won’t. In 2030 most of the vehicles sold today will still be on the road.
Yes, the average vehicle is kept for 11.5 years, and we normally go 10-12. Having just bought a 2017 truck (V8 with 385 hp) in September, I expect to still be driving it and pulling our travel trailer (or a newer, bigger one) in 2030. Considering how long it's taking for people to switch to EVs the acceptance of self-driving cars will take even longer. The plug-ins are now at only 1.07%, even in California just 5%, and they have been available since 2008, that's 10 years.

https://www.fleetcarma.com/electric-...f-year-update/

Old 04-25-2018, 02:01 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,903,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, the average vehicle is kept for 11.5 years, and we normally go 10-12. Having just bought a 2017 truck (V8 with 385 hp) in September, I expect to still be driving it and pulling our travel trailer (or a newer, bigger one) in 2030. Considering how long it's taking for people to switch to EVs the acceptance of self-driving cars will take even longer. The plug-ins are now at only 1.07%, even in California just 5%, and they have been available since 2008, that's 10 years.

https://www.fleetcarma.com/electric-...f-year-update/
And to get to that 5% all the stops were pulled. Generous tax credits, high fuel cost, HOV access, celebrity endorsements, choice parking, etc.

AI however is much easier to implement. Once the software is developed and proven, it’s fairly cheap to mass produce. You don’t give up anything to have it and there’s no lifestyle change required. It’s like cruise control or AC, don’t like it turn it off.
The first mainstream AC systems were expensive but largely available in the 1960’s. By the mid 1970’s it was pretty widely adopted. Now it’s near impossible to find a car without it. I think AI will follow a similar trajectory.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:34 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I think AI will follow a similar trajectory.
It's going to be many decades before it's fully implemented. I would suggest that within the next 10 to 15 years they will begin mandating it in cars. There will be another 15, 20 or even a 30 year grace period to purge the human driven vehicles and allow people to retrofit them, perhaps even specific roads will require autonomous drivers. At some point they will switch to all computer driven, once that occurs there is lot of opportunities that open up. You would no longer need stop signs and lights for examples... you won't even need no parking signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive