Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 03:51 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,188,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post

All of that valuable downtown land currently wasted as parking lots can be converted into real estate. .
All that valuable downtown land will cease to have any value at all, when this and related technology eliminate the need for all those millions of people to go downtown. What would they do in those skyscrapers downtown? Think of the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 01:54 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,609,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
To your first point, autonomous electric cars are relatively simple and maintenance is very low. Those cars will have to park somewhere and be charged however. It does not decrease any traffic to have cars do two trips (one to go fetch a passenger, another to go park itself) for every trip a person wishes to take. During rush hour everybody wanting to do the same trip to the same places at the same time doesn't bode well for ride sharing. That's basically the same thing as everybody taking a taxi to work. That's what subways and buses are for. Over time, an autonomous car is completely capable to driving independent of a central infrastructure to control them.

Flying cars however are far more possible. Boeing has already demonstrated a drone that can carry 500 lbs. Autonomy is far easier once you're off the ground. There's no bicyclist, no ladders that fell off trucks in the street, no pedestrians, no construction, no flooding, snow, fallen trees, accidents, etc. Just fly 20 feet above the roadway and go. Nobody needs to widen roads, add overpasses, red lights, stop signs, etc. Training would be unnecessary as its far easier to fly a drone than drive a car. Especially an autonomous one.

If a portable fusion reactor actually becomes a thing, it would be a far bigger game changer than simply being used to power conquered cities, and if it was actually close to reality, they wouldn't need a government contract to be sustainable. It would be like printing money.
Why would the govt allow flying cars when they can't even regulate drones. The police already have problems stopping suicide attacks with cars and trucks. Having flying vehicles makes carrying out suicide attacks against people and buildings even easier. You will need a RPG or missiles in order to shoot down a flying vehicle from crashing into a govt buildings such as white house or high value buildings.

Chance of flying vehicles for civilian use is remote.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:10 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,906,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Why would the govt allow flying cars when they can't even regulate drones. The police already have problems stopping suicide attacks with cars and trucks. Having flying vehicles makes carrying out suicide attacks against people and buildings even easier. You will need a RPG or missiles in order to shoot down a flying vehicle from crashing into a govt buildings such as white house or high value buildings.

I dunno, because of all those billions of dollars saved in infrastructure cost?
Tell your voting public that stop and go traffic is a thing of the past, billions in surface road improvements and maintenance would be saved, and they would be able to commute faster and safer. The entire street could be used a giant sidewalk and bicycle trail.

As far as regulations are concerned airplanes are already regulated now. I live near a small county airport so seeing something flying over my head is already a pretty common sight. For an autonomous personal drone, regulations would be far easier than regulating autonomous cars since the there would be no outdated versions of the vehicles on the road (air) that have to be grandfathered in. The government could have a kills switch or something that stops a rogue drone from wondering too far off the path.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:00 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
430 mile batteries ain’t cheap by any means.
You act like wasting 40 minutes every 3 hours is no big deal. Hanging out at a charging station for half and hour in freezing weather doesn’t sound fun at all. Not everybody can “work” from their car.

There’s no way I would want to be constrained to eating at the closest restaurant to a charger when I can just fill up in 5 minutes and eat where and when I want to.

EV fans don’t seem to realize that’s there’s a difference between accepting and making the most of certain inconveniences and avoiding them altogether.
I'm not sure who it was that said you had to do anything.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not sure who it was that said you had to do anything.
Nobody did and my comment didn’t imply otherwise.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:00 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
Nobody did and my comment didn’t imply otherwise.
I believe you did.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I believe you did.
Did not. And it wasn’t your post anyway.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:00 AM
46H

1,649 posts, read 1,389,853 times
Quote:
I dunno, because of all those billions of dollars saved in infrastructure cost?
Tell your voting public that stop and go traffic is a thing of the past, billions in surface road improvements and maintenance would be saved, and they would be able to commute faster and safer. The entire street could be used a giant sidewalk and bicycle trail.

As far as regulations are concerned airplanes are already regulated now. I live near a small county airport so seeing something flying over my head is already a pretty common sight. For an autonomous personal drone, regulations would be far easier than regulating autonomous cars since the there would be no outdated versions of the vehicles on the road (air) that have to be grandfathered in. The government could have a kills switch or something that stops a rogue drone from wondering too far off the path.
Thanks for giving me a good laugh this morning!

Old 04-16-2018, 09:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,517,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

When people say 'flying cars' most of the time they are really referring to hovering cars, like Lukes landspeeder in Star wars, A vehicle that hovers about 12" off the ground, and has no wheels or tires.

Anti gravity or electromagnetic would be used to power such vehicles, Tesla even had plans on how to build and power vehicles like this, the problem is, the fuel source can not be run thru a meter, it would essentially be free or very cheap to operate vehicles like this, they would not have to continuously buy a fuel to power them.

Te other problem with such vehicles (from what Ive read), the technology to make hovering cars (anti-grav/ electro), is mostly solid state, so cars would not break down that often, and rarely need replacing or repair, that aspect alone would be disastrous for the auto industry as a whole and all the other industries that depend on vehicles NOT working all the time or lasting a long time.

The technology is there to make these things, but unfortunately its withheld from the public...Invention Secrecy Act of 1951 is something they use to keep tech like this classified.

To prove my point, when is the last time you saw anyone on Youtube or something similar showing off tech like this or at least trying it out?... see what Im saying, isnt it kind of suspect there is NOT one inventor since Tesla to build stuff like this? LOL

Old 04-16-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
When people say 'flying cars' most of the time they are really referring to hovering cars, like Lukes landspeeder in Star wars, A vehicle that hovers about 12" off the ground, and has no wheels or tires.

Anti gravity or electromagnetic would be used to power such vehicles, Tesla even had plans on how to build and power vehicles like this, the problem is, the fuel source can not be run thru a meter, it would essentially be free or very cheap to operate vehicles like this, they would not have to continuously buy a fuel to power them.

Te other problem with such vehicles (from what Ive read), the technology to make hovering cars (anti-grav/ electro), is mostly solid state, so cars would not break down that often, and rarely need replacing or repair, that aspect alone would be disastrous for the auto industry as a whole and all the other industries that depend on vehicles NOT working all the time or lasting a long time.

The technology is there to make these things, but unfortunately its withheld from the public...Invention Secrecy Act of 1951 is something they use to keep tech like this classified.

To prove my point, when is the last time you saw anyone on Youtube or something similar showing off tech like this or at least trying it out?... see what Im saying, isnt it kind of suspect there is NOT one inventor since Tesla to build stuff like this? LOL
Lol.
While the Russians were busy stealing plans from everything from nuclear weapons to space shuttles and hacking elections, they just couldn’t manage to steal 60 year old plans for a hover board.
The US landed men on the moon but just couldn’t figure out how to utilize this super secret hovering technology. You know, since it couldn’t be metered and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive