Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 09:49 AM

305 posts, read 724,139 times

Advertisements

I’m hoping to get a new car in a few months but it has to be a convertible.

I was looking at the Mazda Miata MX-5, Ford Mustang and Corvette Stingray.

I am not knowledgeable with cars so I want to know what other cars are out there to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 09:52 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Fiat 500. But you may not be able to afford the upkeep once the warranty expires.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:02 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
At $30,000 a year? It all depends on what your other bills look like and how much money you are willing to put down.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:24 AM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
At $30,000 a year? It all depends on what your other bills look like and how much money you are willing to put down.
This is correct. My kids still make mortgage payments, my grandchildren pay rent, student loans, etc. They all make much more than I do. I payed off my mortgage many years ago, and live simply.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:55 AM

17,301 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Unless you’ve got some savings to spend, a 90s Chevy Cavalier convertible.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:14 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...553977837.html

There are plenty Miatas in this price range.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:30 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
S2000

Old 04-14-2018, 12:45 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,154 times
$30k? Unless you inherited a pile the last thing you should be thinking about is buying a convertible. It makes zero financial sense and, unless everything (health, job, economy, housing situation, your debt situation) goes perfectly, you could put yourself into a really bad situation. Figure out how to get you salary up and your savings and debt in control and then, maybe, think about it. And only pay cash.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:46 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
This is correct. My kids still make mortgage payments, my grandchildren pay rent, student loans, etc. They all make much more than I do. I payed off my mortgage many years ago, and live simply.
In your case you sound solid. How about the OP? They probably should have asked how much convertible they can get for $10k IN CASH.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:59 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
There's a huge difference between a Corvette Stingray and MX-5. The cheapest used Stingray is going to be more than your annual salary. Going with a used MX-5 is the best possible bet for the money.

I'm always in the convertible market and I can tell you the options are severely limited if you want brand new. Every year the options get smaller and smaller. A roadster always makes the best convertible IMHO.

A Convertible Stingray will probably be the most expensive, but have the most power, draw the most attention, look the most exotic, and hold it's value the best.

A convertible Mustang is a close second in power, and is far more quiet, comfortable, and practical (that's what I ended up with). The V8 exhaust note is amazing. As in, turn off the radio to listen to it amazing.

The Miata is probably the best bang for the buck but has nothing in the power department. I really wanted a Miata but hated the low seating position and weak power delivery and poor exhaust note.

Another, very similar option is the Fiat 124, which is essentially the same thing as the Miata but with a far more exotic exhaust note (for the Abarth...the only trim I would consider) better looks, nicer interior, but terrible depreciation (a local dealer here has marked brand new ones $7K off MSRP which was cheap to begin with). Fiat's have a bad rep but the 124 is built on the same exact assemble line in Japan as the Miata. You can use that bad rep to your advantage to get a good deal on what is actually a very nice convertible with much better looks and similar quality to the Miata. If I was on more of a budget I'd seriously consider this.

Another option I would consider is a convertible Mini Cooper. It's got 4 seats, far more power and torque than a Miata, but is still light and easy to park, far more bells and whistles ( you can drop and raise the top with a remote), more unique looks, and when you drop the top, you'll actually feel like you dropped the top (the other cars feel more like a giant sunroof). The insurance and gas mileage is much cheaper, its easier to park, and get in and out of, but depreciation is a bear and build quality is terrible. I love the steering and exhaust note on the S's ( the only trim level I'd consider). Customer service is typically excellent.

The hail mary pass of convertibles is the Jeep Wrangler. People forget this, but it is the only convertible SUV on the market. It's also the only 4 door convertible. I find it the most comfortable with the best seating position and versatility (everything from the roof, doors, and windshield can come off). Taking the top down is far more labor intensive, but its far more practical and resell value is very high. It's not a classic roadster, but it does get waves and thumb's up and fits in pretty much anywhere. You can throw a kayak on it, go to the beach, use it to haul a trailer, take it to work, go offroading, or whatever.

Hope that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive