Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:08 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,754,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I hear about stories of this happening all the time: where someone is driving through, usually a small town in the middle of nowhere, and the police stops them, then suspect them of transporting drugs or something, and seize their car which effectively strands them in the small town hundreds of miles away from home and no way to get home (no trains, uber, public transportation, airports, etc. nearby to get them out.)
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 01:14 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Bad link...but either way...you realize that is from Canada, right?
Sorry about that.

From my own city PD:
https://permits.springsgov.com/units...ernet.htm#3037

"Abandoned car on public way (over 72 hours; 24 hours for metered business districts)
Cars left in a traffic lane, or otherwise creating a hazard
Cars on a public way blocking driveways, alleys, etc.
Cars held for proof of ownership
Expired or misused license plates
Unsafe vehicles (on public ways)
Driver was driving without a current and valid operator/chauffeur's license
Driver drove without proper license endorsement
Driver's license is denied, cancelled, suspended or revoked by the State
Cars held for evidence processing (only if unable to process at scene)
Cars involved in accidents that may lead to the filing of felony charges (vehicular assault, vehicular homicide), if determined necessary by the investigating officer
Hit and run vehicles, if the driver is or has been arrested, or vehicle has been abandoned"

An experience regarding: "Expired or misused license plates". My car was parked in a parking lot outside a local business. When I left the business & walked to my car, I noticed a cop parked nearby. As I went to open the driver side door, the cop flagged me down & approached me.

He then informs me that my license plates "did not match". He did not allow me to check them & instead asked if I could wait in his car while he "wrote some things down".

I was very surprised. He stated that this can happen if someone is trying to steal a plate for a car of the same make/model. I knew I hadn't done anything wrong & I saw no reason to not cooperate, so I did as asked & sat in his car, while he proceeded to walk around my car as if taking notes.

He apparently did not know/care that he had left his dispatch radio on in the car & I could overhear his conversation with dispatch while he was using the radio on his belt. Dispatch informed him that both I & my vehicle were "Clear & Valid".

He sits down in the driver's seat & tells me my plates came back as stolen. As if I had stolen someone else's plates to use on my car.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:31 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Read this. It's alarming, but good information to have.
Back in the late '90's, I remember reading a newspaper story about small towns along highway 10 in Louisana that would
stop and seize people's car, money, property. Hold them in jail on trumped-up, made-up charges. I can't remember if the Feds had to step in or not, but it did wake me up to this type of behavior from Law enforcement. Anytime you hand enormous amount of power over to any one individual, there is always the challenge for corruption. From
the beginning of humankind...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...r-broke-no-law

I think I saw some lady on 60 minutes or 48 hours or one of those tv shows and she said when she got her brand new Cadillac back it was trashed !!!! it was not even a week old and because she had florida tags on it and she was driving through on I 10 to go from florida to texas and she had to go through louisianna and her car was searched and they claimed there were suspicious looking things in the car and she had to come back and get it .She called her father and they went back a week later after receiving paperwork in the mail saying she could come get the car or she would have to pay fines to the state of louisianna for storage . well they went back and like I said earlier the car was trashed . This woman said she was in tears . The car seats were slashed the tires had been stabbed with a knife so no tires and they had to get a tow truck to tow it to a nearby parking lot at a hotel and leave it there for another week until they could get some tires on it and try and drive it back to her fathers house in Pensacola but before they let the tow truck pick it up they took pictures of it . Now this turned into a legal case and her lawyer was incredibly smart and wanted to see the photos of the supposed suspicious looking items . well it seemed as though those pictures were never taken and there were no pictures of any kind of drugs and she had pictures and a receipt of what the car looked like at time of purchase . They took the state of lousianna to court and won 2.5 million dollars and this lady was in tears and said she would never have to worry about anything again and she now drives all the way around Louisianna when she has to go to texas .

Old 04-16-2018, 01:33 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Sorry about that.

From my own city PD:
https://permits.springsgov.com/units...ernet.htm#3037

"Abandoned car on public way (over 72 hours; 24 hours for metered business districts)
Cars left in a traffic lane, or otherwise creating a hazard
Cars on a public way blocking driveways, alleys, etc.
Cars held for proof of ownership
Expired or misused license plates
Unsafe vehicles (on public ways)
Driver was driving without a current and valid operator/chauffeur's license
Driver drove without proper license endorsement
Driver's license is denied, cancelled, suspended or revoked by the State
Cars held for evidence processing (only if unable to process at scene)
Cars involved in accidents that may lead to the filing of felony charges (vehicular assault, vehicular homicide), if determined necessary by the investigating officer
Hit and run vehicles, if the driver is or has been arrested, or vehicle has been abandoned"

An experience regarding: "Expired or misused license plates". My car was parked in a parking lot outside a local business. When I left the business & walked to my car, I noticed a cop parked nearby. As I went to open the driver side door, the cop flagged me down & approached me.

He then informs me that my license plates "did not match". He did not allow me to check them & instead asked if I could wait in his car while he "wrote some things down".

I was very surprised. He stated that this can happen if someone is trying to steal a plate for a car of the same make/model. I knew I hadn't done anything wrong & I saw no reason to not cooperate, so I did as asked & sat in his car, while he proceeded to walk around my car as if taking notes.

He apparently did not know/care that he had left his dispatch radio on in the car & I could overhear his conversation with dispatch while he was using the radio on his belt. Dispatch informed him that both I & my vehicle were "Clear & Valid".

He sits down in the driver's seat & tells me my plates came back as stolen. As if I had stolen someone else's plates to use on my car.

I hope you sued their arse off and got yourself set for the rest of your life If you did not then you missed a golden opportunity .

Old 04-16-2018, 02:22 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think I saw some lady on 60 minutes or 48 hours or one of those tv shows and she said when she got her brand new Cadillac back it was trashed !!!! it was not even a week old and because she had florida tags on it and she was driving through on I 10 to go from florida to texas and she had to go through louisianna and her car was searched and they claimed there were suspicious looking things in the car and she had to come back and get it .She called her father and they went back a week later after receiving paperwork in the mail saying she could come get the car or she would have to pay fines to the state of louisianna for storage . well they went back and like I said earlier the car was trashed . This woman said she was in tears . The car seats were slashed the tires had been stabbed with a knife so no tires and they had to get a tow truck to tow it to a nearby parking lot at a hotel and leave it there for another week until they could get some tires on it and try and drive it back to her fathers house in Pensacola but before they let the tow truck pick it up they took pictures of it . Now this turned into a legal case and her lawyer was incredibly smart and wanted to see the photos of the supposed suspicious looking items . well it seemed as though those pictures were never taken and there were no pictures of any kind of drugs and she had pictures and a receipt of what the car looked like at time of purchase . They took the state of lousianna to court and won 2.5 million dollars and this lady was in tears and said she would never have to worry about anything again and she now drives all the way around Louisianna when she has to go to texas .
That is SUCH a heartwarming story. Wow. Love it.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:14 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
What were you doing in SW Detroit? Did you have some business to attend to? Funny how they immediately thought "drugs or prostitutes" when looking at you.
I guess I wasn't the only one wondering which one he was there for!

Old 04-16-2018, 03:26 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
If you're going cross country, take the major highways. If you have to travel through small towns, try to do so doing daylight hours. Drive a few mph under the posted speed limits. Like someone posted earlier, a lot of the small towns have corrupt officials that are desperate for revenue.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:31 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You are making a conspiracy theory out of nothing.,cops dont for no reason stop motorists and take their cars unless some transgression of the law has taken place where in most cases you will be arrested and taken to jail.,
Actually it does happen with corrupt cops. A case in Louisiana happened in which some Latino workers with out of state plates were pulled over on a bogus reason and searched the vehicle. These guys worked on cash paying jobs and had large amount of cash in their vehicle. They claimed it was drug money so they could claim the cash.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:53 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You are making a conspiracy theory out of nothing.,cops dont for no reason stop motorists and take their cars unless some transgression of the law has taken place where in most cases you will be arrested and taken to jail.,
Yes, they do. It's called civil asset forfeiture and it's done even when no crime was committed.

The 7 Worst Examples Of Civil Asset Forfeitur | The Daily Caller

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/...arence-thomas/
"Police can take your money or property and keep it, even if no charges are filed."

Old 04-30-2018, 02:45 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Absence of probable cause has never prevented some police from making
It does happen, for no real reason.

Did you give permission to search the car? Never, ever, give consent to search.

e.
You got all day & the next day? Better have it if you refuse to let them (illegally) search your vehicle. Don't believe me? Try it sometime and get back to us. Please include lawyer fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive