Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2018, 06:19 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You mention that your hearing is super sensitive. What if they're hearing isn't that good? Some people cannot hear faint sounds.

I'm also not going to stand around awkwardly in the parking lot and wait for you to get out of earshot of my horn before I check to make sure my doors are locked.

Why not control the things you can, and not worry so much about the small stuff?
You don't need a car horn to tell you if your doors are locked! And it isn't small stuff when you are sensitive to it. Its extremely rude.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:17 PM

118 posts, read 86,061 times
My truck has manual locks, so, no beep. Wifey's car has power locks but just goes "clunk". No beep. I'm sure I would jump if someone beeped me. Wifey is always sneaking up on me and scaring me. She denies it though.

TU

Old 04-23-2018, 07:24 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
I do. That's what the beep is for...to confirm it's locked.

It's such a routine action, that sometimes after I leave the car and go for my walk or into a store, I can't remember if I locked the car. But if I double lock it (click to lock, then click to beep), I will remember the beep.

It's like unplugging the coffee pot or locking the house. Something yu do every day that is so routine, that I sometimes can't remember if I did it. I've turned around and gone home to unplug the coffee pot, only to find that I had unplugged it.

That's why.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:45 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You mention that your hearing is super sensitive. What if they're hearing isn't that good? Some people cannot hear faint sounds.

I'm also not going to stand around awkwardly in the parking lot and wait for you to get out of earshot of my horn before I check to make sure my doors are locked.

Why not control the things you can, and not worry so much about the small stuff?
Why don't you check to make sure your doors are locked before actually exiting the vehicle? This rudimentary strategy is still possible in 2018, correct?

Old 04-23-2018, 08:46 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Why don't you check to make sure your doors are locked before actually exiting the vehicle? This rudimentary strategy is still possible in 2018, correct?
A lot of cars automatically unlock the door when you open it to get out.
And seeing how some people let this bother them so, I see a lot of opportunity for those mildly passive-aggressive sociopaths out there.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I do. That's what the beep is for...to confirm it's locked.

It's such a routine action, that sometimes after I leave the car and go for my walk or into a store, I can't remember if I locked the car. But if I double lock it (click to lock, then click to beep), I will remember the beep.

It's like unplugging the coffee pot or locking the house. Something yu do every day that is so routine, that I sometimes can't remember if I did it. I've turned around and gone home to unplug the coffee pot, only to find that I had unplugged it.

That's why.

Why should anyone other than you have to suffer because you didnt unplug your coffee pot?

Old 04-23-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
*grits teeth exasperatedly*

That’s the thing. I’m not complaining about the chirps. I’m complaining about the cars that emit a loud BEEP utilizing the horn system instead of the half-second chirp you described.
The chirp is only a shade less annoying. And it doesnt mean your doors are locked. It means your car chirped.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:35 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,208,401 times
OP, I bet you really hate those cars that talk. I used to walk by this car that would say "stop, this car is protected by viper" or some such if you got too close.

I only wish this was my biggest problem . . .

Old 04-24-2018, 12:37 AM

797 posts, read 752,652 times
LOL at this thread.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:53 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Question. Why in the blue hell would any motorist double-tap their alarm to make sure that the doors are locked....when someone else is STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FREAKING CAR?!
You wrote seven paragraphs about the beep of the locked car--wow, it really bothers you!

When I am walking away from my car, I don't even notice if someone is standing right in front--nor is it a concern of mine. I like to hear the beep to be sure I have locked it.

I have way to many other things on my mind to even be concerned with this one or even notice if someone has done this. Doesn't bother me one bit if someone does that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive