Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 1,785 times

Advertisements

I totally agree, these people make me want to move out into the wilderness. Idiots. Totally all about themselves, they are usually wearing pink glasses. Whatever you do, do not confront them, unless you are in the mood to get verbally abused on top of the coronary they gave you by"making sure" their car is locked. This is really special when you live in an apt. complex, it can be never ending. People who think you need to beep your obnoxious horn each time you go out to get in your car and for sure when you get out, try pushing your lock button as you are getting out, or have your remote adjusted for the love of God! It isn't cool, you actually are letting thugs and robbers, etc. know your schedule each time you do honk, oops, sorry, I mean "set" your alarm. I mean, wake up, come out of your coma! I am of the firm belief Americans are really stupid. This is very sad. I guess people don't raise their kids with any manners or consideration for others anymore. Do unto others, they don't care. Most are from countries that do not know what consideration, thoughtfulness means. Wow. Noise pollution, too many people, only in America.Thanks for bringing up the horn madness!

Old 04-20-2018, 09:54 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Wow.. yea, this is a common problem. What the... Does this REALLY happen to you that much? You really think people are doing it on purpose to mess with you?
Really?
I can't believe you're even ranting about this. Most horns aren't even that loud. Mine isn't.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:57 AM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Most of the time, the beeping is enabled by default when you buy the car. Most people don't realize that it can be turned off. (I turned it off on mine and also turned off the delay for the headlights, as I camp a lot and it can be annoying to others.)
This is true, most folks will not be bothered to check the owners manual to turn it off

Old 04-20-2018, 10:06 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
hahaha never thought of this but yeah it's crazy. Some kind of insurance baby blanket just hearing the horn go off?

Old 04-20-2018, 10:11 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
OP, I have a major problem with noise, too.

Longer term, you might want to consider moving somewhere where there are fewer people.

Shorter term, you might want to try some headphones with light, classical music. I intially pooh-poohed this suggestion, but I'm finding that it's greatly helping me, as did adding a white-noise generator to my bedroom
at night, which blocks out the neighbors coming in at 2 am and their stupid beeps from their cars.

My next house is going to have neighbors no closer than one-half mile!

Old 04-20-2018, 10:15 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,027,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Wow.. yea, this is a common problem. What the... Does this REALLY happen to you that much? You really think people are doing it on purpose to mess with you?
Really?
I can't believe you're even ranting about this. Most horns aren't even that loud. Mine isn't.
They aren't really horns, they're the ALARMS. (Do they use the same sound system as the horn?) I'm ranting about this because people have done it several times in the past week to me. One family as they're walking away from their car to a restaurant, just as I'm approaching the entrance and I'm RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR CAR: BOOM!! Why the heck didn't they do it when THEY were in front of their car? Why are they doing it when I am in front of the car?!

People are just stupid, careless and inconsiderate. It's exasperating. No, I know that they're not doing it on purpose to mess with me. They're just dumb and don't care, they'll do it to anyone, not just me. It DOES happen that often, I live in the 7th-largest urban area in the United States, stands to reason I'd encounter a lot of people. Sigh. It's just annoying and I hope y'all don't do this to other people. Just wanted to make a public service announcement type of thing.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:18 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Many just have a little electronic chirp which isn't loud at all rather than use the horn. Is that what's bothering you?

If you were loitering in front of the car maybe they just wanted you to know it was locked and armed thinking you might be a car prowler.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:24 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,158,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Most of the time, the beeping is enabled by default when you buy the car. Most people don't realize that it can be turned off. (I turned it off on mine and also turned off the delay for the headlights, as I camp a lot and it can be annoying to others.)
On my car the beep (not a horn, but a beep) is programmed in. It may be updatability by a dealer reprogram, but I'm not going to pay a dealership to change something so innocuous.

As for the op, note that some cars, you have to use the fob to lock/unlock (otherwise you could put the key in the door mechanism), but why wear out a lock when there is no need.

I lock the car as I am walking away and unlock as I approach. If there is someone nearby, I generally don't notice and as I said, it is only a beep, if you are that sensitive to it, I think you should check with a doctor. Not being snarky, but seriously don't see what the issue is.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:28 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Question. Why in the blue hell would any motorist double-tap their alarm to make sure that the doors are locked....when someone else is STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FREAKING CAR?!

This happens to me all the time. Someone has locked their car once already and are moving away and they press the button again when THEY are out of range....but when I'm RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE FREAKING CAR!!! And they KNOW that I am right in front of the freaking car because they are LOOKING at the car when they beep it. And I give them an exasperated look because they just hurt my hearing! (My hearing IS more susceptible to these noises than others', so I know I'm sensitive about this)

I would avoid these cars, but I can't always just run away at a fast clip to get away! Why can't people just....you know.....lock their cars when they're standing right next to them and NOT unleash that abhorrent beep on unsuspecting individuals? What reason do they possibly have to do that, aside from being complete and utter jerkwads? Out of habit? It's a darn annoying habit!

Many cars have locks right on the door that work well with key fobs. My Nissan, I just push the button on the door since the key fob's in my pocket and walk away. No horrifying sounds for anyone else.

One thing that galls me about it is that they make the horrible beep as they're walking away, not directly in front of their car. So they're not affected by it, but people who inadvertently walked into the zone of influence, oftentimes RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CAR, are scared stiff by the sound.

Can y'all PLEASE not beep your darn car once you've left it? You wanna hurt someone's hearing, hurt your own, not others'. I may be preaching to the choir here, but just in case you're one of "those people" and you haven't been thinking about your behavior at all, I hope I've left you with something to think about.

Does anyone else absolutely hate this behavior? Double-tapping their alarms so that the car beeps when they've walked away but when you are right in front of the car to take the full brunt force of the sound waves? Gah!!!
Thank you!!

One of my biggest pet peeves. Inconsiderate sociopaths. Getting harder by the day to find exceptions.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:36 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
First world problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive