Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 10:11 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times

Advertisements

I am amazed that anyone would be so trusting to buy a used car sight unseen. Can someone explain the logic of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 10:44 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,866,365 times
It has a return policy. I didn't have time to read the whole fine print but felt that you won't get your money back, rather have to buy another car.

I am picky when it comes to cars. Have to check all crevices, under the car/etc. I might be wrong but I think these XXX point inspections might be good for the general public but not me.

Usually when I buy a CPO car, I end up giving a list of stuff to the dealer that needs to be done. Either they do it or I get a discount for their misses.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:28 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I am amazed that anyone would be so trusting to buy a used car sight unseen. Can someone explain the logic of it.

I bought my first BMW E38 7 series from a wholesaler on ebay, 5 states away. First time I saw it was when I drove it home. Had that car for 5 years and it was fine.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:30 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,852 times
I used one of the sites to purchase a 7 year old car in another state. Now the car is 22 years old, and I still drive it as my daily.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:42 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Like anything, you will find people who had good experiences and people who had bad experiences. It is only slightly more risky than buying on from a dealer and about the same risk as buying one at an auction.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
I bought online from a dealer. I sent an inspector to do a PPI. I received a full report including photos before I finalized the deal.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:53 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,328,582 times
Quote:
Bought my previous car through Carvana, great experience actually. Return policy, delivery/pickup is fair, etc...The vehicle I bought was EXACTLY as described, and I couldn't find one at a dealer near me anywhere.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:01 AM

6,739 posts, read 4,424,565 times
Quote:

Its something I would never do. Used cars can be a crap shoot at best. Too many things that can go wrong. Can the vehicle be checked out before purchase, is there a return policy. Not doing it.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:38 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
Quote:

We've done it and it worked out great. First of all, you have to know cars...….we build them, so we know cars. Secondly, you have to ask a lot of questions, talk to the owner on the phone, get additional pictures, and the history. Then, when you feel confident, you go see it in person.

One car was a Mach 1 Mustang we flew up to Philadelphia to buy. Owned by a banker, low miles, talked to him on the phone for a long time, and he said " If you see the car, you will buy it." He was right, the car was spotless and we drove it back to Florida without a problem, and the car is still in mint shape today.

Another car was a VW bug we bought out of California, spent a lot of time communicating with the seller, had it shipped to Florida, and it was exactly as described.

We just sold a Mustang to a guy in NJ, had a lot of conversations with him, sent more pictures, and he bought it. He got a great deal and he loves his new car. All the ones in NJ are rust buckets, ours was a rustfree Florida car all it's life.

But, for someone who doesn't know cars inside and out, I can see how people get stung.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:24 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,262,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
Bought my previous car through Carvana, great experience actually. Return policy, delivery/pickup is fair, etc...The vehicle I bought was EXACTLY as described, and I couldn't find one at a dealer near me anywhere.
I would purchase a short range EV from them because they deliver.
Carvana specializes in that sort of thing. They sell a bazillion Chevy Sparks there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive