Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 06:14 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times

Advertisements

i have a co-worker who is a former jet mechanic. Now that he and his wife make hefty salaries, he puts alot of his disposable income into his golf/rabbit. Putting over $10k in power mods, he can easily burn rubber in almost any gear he chooses and loves to drag new mustang GT owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 08:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
i have a co-worker who is a former jet mechanic. Now that he and his wife make hefty salaries, he puts alot of his disposable income into his golf/rabbit. Putting over $10k in power mods, he can easily burn rubber in almost any gear he chooses and loves to drag new mustang GT owners.
Yeah but in the end he’s still driving a rabbit. You can make a Honda as fast as a Lambo it’s still a fwd commuter car.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:13 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
Yes, that is what I meant.

Hell you had me going. I was trying to think what cars come with front U joints . All I could come up with was 4WD trucks like mine with solid type front axles.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 04-23-2018 at 08:38 PM..

Old 04-23-2018, 08:21 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,248,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
That's a pretty cheap way to get 400 HP in a fun-to-drive car, especially if one starts with a clean chassis and decent interior.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:01 AM

797 posts, read 752,285 times
https://jalopnik.com/5918475/how-the...this-car-drive
That?

Those aren't tuners,those are called idiots. Or retards depending on how irritated you are that day.
Tuners,actually tune a car. Such as ecu tune,exhaust,cams, the like.
Again these are just idiots. The concept of it is mentioned in the link,but the ones I see are just using them as daily drivers.

Again Idiots.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:47 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I’m a person raised in the 70’s in metro Detroit we’re american muscle cars were and still are king, you don’t hardly see any of those march box cars here because they IMO are a joke. Let’s take one of these tuner match box rice burning cars and put it up against a Dodge Demon and see witch car has the better looks and performance.
And you'd loose. The fact that you are from the past is very obvious But give credit where credit is due. (And if your screen name is an indicator, there are plenty of us who are older than you, but not subject to this "American Muscle Car" self-blindness.)

The Dodge Demon is a freak of a car and yes, it is powerful at 840 HP. Do you honestly think there are no Japanese Tuner Cars (the subject of your boast) running 1000+ HP and some with 4wd? Cars such as the Supra and the Nissan - matchboxes?

But sticking to a factory cars, look up the NISSAN GTR NISMO (Godzilla) or the LFA and tell me these cars are "jokes".

Claiming otherwise is just an exercise in misapplied pride. Also, looks are VERY subjective; for me (another who grew up in the seventies), other than the late sixties Mustangs, there are not a lot of Muscle cars that look that good.

There is nothing wrong with having pride in your ride (or one that you have seen), but the insults and pejoratives (such as rice burner) are unnecessary and date you far more than your screen name.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:39 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Just young punk cars. I put a hurtrng on them any chance i get with my modded C6 Vette

Old 04-24-2018, 05:17 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, it is a style, "camber" I think they call it, but they camber the wheels to the extreme. It is for looks only.
Along with the continued trend of removing every badge, logo, and lettering indicating the make and model. Nothing logical about it!

Old 04-24-2018, 05:23 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I see a lot of younger people around here with 'tuner' cars, usually small imports, and they soup up the engine, install a muffler that makes it extremely loud, Its basically the millennials hot rods.

The strange thing I have noticed on many of these, they install aftermarket wheels and tires, and normally go with larger wheels and very low aspect ratio/ high performance tires (very small sidewall), and they stick out from the wheel wells, (we did this in the 90s with lowriders, they were called reverse rims, or the 'skateboard' look), but many of the ones I see on tuners today, the wheels are installed with the lower part of the wheel sticking out further than the top, like the whole wheel is slanted inward at the top, some cars, this is very pronounced, but others its more mild. I cannot see how this is good for the car, or the tires, nor what suspension/ driveline part they would use to make the wheels ride like this, or why they do it.

Has anyone seen cars with wheels installed like this?
Wagon wheels(20+" etc) LOL!

Quite seriously though, such aftermarketing of tires and wheels, if not done properly, can alter ride height, wheel offset(pos/neg.), scrub radius, etc, negatively affecting stability and handling dynamics engineered in by the original manufacturer.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:44 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Those little rice burners make me laugh the engine sounds like a Mattel Vrroom motor I had when i was a kid. And they are not loud compared to a 1969 GTO Judge with a 360 running with a good set of headers now that’s loud not these hollow tin sounding rice burning mufflers. Let’s see if these little rice burners hold up as being a collectable like a muscle car I doubt it.

You're the kind of guy I loved to run back in the '70s and '80s with your big block muscle car against my rotary powered Mazda RX3:

9000 rpm screamer that often laid waste to musclecars (which contrary to popular belief and rose colored glasses were typically 13-14 second quarter mile cars in stock form and only made worse by the typical backyard modder). The RX3 only weighed 1900lbs in stock form so the power to weight ratio was as good as or better than the typical 4000 lb big block musclecar.

it's the same with well modded modern small cars. Power to weight is where it's at and turbocharged small engine cars can often beat the much bigger musclecars that aren't expecting it.

As for values, my RX3 was, like my big block Torino GT, worth very little in the late '70s-early '80s, but now, both are worth big money. Wish I still had them.

---------------------------------------------

As for some of the other statements in the thread, heavily lowered cars have been common since the '40s with the taildragger customs and lead sleds of the '50s. Modern aftermarket suspension tech has progressed quite a ways since then with coilovers, HD bushings, and air ride suspension that allows adjustability with handling and good ride quality. A lot of the stanced cars are on air, so that they drive with the cars at normal height and lay them out for shows, parking and pictures.

In the '50s it was cut coils. In the '70s it was jacked up cars with slapper bars. Now it's heavy negative camber with stretched tires. No telling where it will go next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive