Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:59 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,556 times

Advertisements

wait am I missing something? You only have one child the rest should have bought themselves a car. Especially the ones that are 20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 11:50 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,202,580 times
What do you want...lots of space and good gas mileage?

You are going to have to make a comprise.

Fuel efficiency maybe a Jetta or Passat diesel wagon. Maybe not the best choice because diesel is expensive. But those two wagons would give fuel efficiency (40+mpg) and the space.

Honestly, I would look at a Subaru wagon of some sorts if you still want/need 4wd.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:27 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
What do you want...lots of space and good gas mileage?

You are going to have to make a comprise.

Fuel efficiency maybe a Jetta or Passat diesel wagon. Maybe not the best choice because diesel is expensive. But those two wagons would give fuel efficiency (40+mpg) and the space.

Honestly, I would look at a Subaru wagon of some sorts if you still want/need 4wd.
Honda Fit has good leg room for a small car. Fuel economy combined with the cost is going to be equal to the VW Jetta TDI (diesel). Golf has slighly better fuel economy. If you can drive stick shift the TDI's can be had at a great price usually. But you won't save alot of money vs. just buying a good small Japanese car, because diesel is alot more expensive than gas in most places.

The Toyota Matrix also has a fair amount of leg room, though I'm not sure it would fit 5 people with comfort. No small car will, but then again maybe you don't absolutely need a large car.

Don't buy an SUV, you will regret it. Fuel prices are not going to ever drop below $ 3 dollars in the near future and are likely to keep going up.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:23 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,202,580 times
You would be surprised on the resale of VW TDI regardless of transmission...its amazing. Very very high. At least in my area.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:38 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,930,711 times
Consumer Reports: Gas Mileage of SUV's, CUV's, Wagons, MiniVans and Pickups Here you go

Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 PM

26 posts, read 265,691 times
Flex fuel (etohonal mix) will get less MPG than gas and the prices I have seen have not been nearly enough savings to be worth it.
I agree with some of the other suggestions like minivan or Honda Element, but again, the fuel savings might not be worth it. Look at wagons if you can handle the size penalty.

Fuel Economy

Old 03-29-2008, 06:56 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,385,151 times
Im not sure there is one, unless they make hybrid mid-sized or mini-vans. I know someone with 3 kids, so trying to cram two carseats for the little ones and an older child in the back seat, somewhat comfortably, might require just that: either a mid-size car or a mini van.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:35 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
Do the older ones have their own vehicles? They should. You should only be concerned about the ones who cannot drive yet or are still in school. Your kids will be gone in no time. Get yourself something you want.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:07 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,470,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
wait am I missing something? You only have one child the rest should have bought themselves a car. Especially the ones that are 20
No, I have 4 children, my 3 sons are the oldest and are all special needs. Despite the fact that my oldest son is 21 and out of the house he still relies on my to drive him many places. The boys will likely never drive because of their autism. Sooooo I cannot buy a car with the idea that my kids will be out of the house soon and I can pick a car just to suit myself and my 5 yr. old.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:10 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,470,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Do the older ones have their own vehicles? They should. You should only be concerned about the ones who cannot drive yet or are still in school. Your kids will be gone in no time. Get yourself something you want.
None of my children have cars and likely never will as I am not sure they will ever be able to drive. The boys all have Asperger's Syndrome, which is in the autism spectrum. I do not think they will be capable of concentrating on the road and what they need to do or be able to think quickly in a tight situation. The school does not feel they will be able to drive either and none have taken Drivers Ed and none wish to drive either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive