Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 01:36 PM

792 posts, read 496,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
...who is your traffic chief?
Traffic chief. lol

https://travelersrestsc.com/our-community/government/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 04:24 PM

50,759 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
Fine. Google Maps says there is a 2 minute difference. 2 minutes. What are you (a generic person, not oceangaia) going to do with your whole 2 minutes?

There is a reason the red lights are there. Traffic. If the traffic just reroutes around the red lights it just moves the problem elsewhere, namely off major roads and onto residential streets.

Again, I would not care if they drove the speed limit, or close to it. I am going to get a radar gun and sit there and count for an hour so I have real data.
You can't just go by Google Maps, there are many things that make a difference of much more than a few minutes aside from the things Google Maps is aware of. I used to have a commute of about 30 miles on a 2-lane road popular with truckers. I've missed a light due to the person in front of me slowing down while the light was still green or jamming to a stop on yellow, only to have a caravan of dump trucks turn onto the road in front of us, then I'm behind them for the entire 30 miles, and you can be sure it adds up to more than 2 minutes extra. Every time they stop, it seems like it takes 2 minutes just to get up to speed again. If that guy hadn't been in front of me, the trucks wouldn't have been either.

When I take alternate routes in general though, it is to avoid stress, not save time. I drive through a residential neighborhood every morning in order to avoid the intersection I mentioned in an earlier post, not to save time but because I find it more peaceful to avoid it.

Again, you should petition the city for speed humps. Every neighborhood that has them, has them because the residents pressured the city to put them in. I don't think the radar gun would be as effective as video of just how many cars come speeding by. although I guess you could alternate.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:32 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,762 times
I came to this country with 2000 bucks.
After few days I bought an old car for 700$. On the way back there was a red light and two lines to the left with about 8 cars on the right and zero on the left line of the left turn. I took the most left line, the light turn green and I came ahead of everybody.
At that moment I understood that I will be ok in this country.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:45 PM

24,462 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Out of town commuters have created a huge traffic problem created by Waze by routing traffic thru town because of construction that lasted 4 years on a freeway that was poorly constructed.

Home owners have a hard time getting out of their driveways in the morning, and people are now driving down the wrong way on residential streets.

What used to be a 10 minute drive from house to the freeway is now 90 + minutes for the local folks.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:26 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
Doesn't look like your city has anybody tasked with managing traffic.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:07 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,022 times
Today I left an intersection clear so the three cars waiting to merge could move. The light I was waiting for was red and there were 15 cars ahead of me, so I waited.

Meanwhile 3 cars shot around me and cut into the opening I left.
I don't understand people. They can't wait a minute but have to get there right now. So impatient.
I didn't mind waiting but good thing two of those cars waited and never did get into the lane.

Not sure if it's spring fever or what. I can't even blame rush hour, after school traffic, but just normal everyday backup at this light. *sigh*

And yes, sometimes I take short cuts. Sometimes they're not so short, it's timing the lights right.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:04 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In some areas those shortcuts go through residential neighborhoods which tends to irritate the natives. There are a couple communities east of Annapolis that become shortcuts when the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is backed up. The County Police know this and will ticket people using those roads as shortcuts.

Also, if one person knows about a shortcut or workaround then so do thousands of other people, especially now with GPS, Waze, etc.
Do you mean for speeding? How can you get a ticket for just driving on public roads?

Old 04-27-2018, 06:07 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
This topic always bring to mind this quote from J.R.R Tolkien - "Shortcuts make long delays." I have found that to be true on occasion, but not always.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:24 AM

792 posts, read 496,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Doesn't look like your city has anybody tasked with managing traffic.
I size towns by red lights first. If there are too many red lights to count it's new car dealerships. Too many dealerships to count? Interstate exits.

We have 1 car dealership

Maybe I could see if the city would create a "Traffic Chief" position and appoint me to it. I am obsessed with traffic, logistics and workflow.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
For the most part, you can't run over a pedestrian just to prove a point. It'd e different if kids were playing on a highway, then that's on them. Highways are for roads. But in a residential area, that's where you'd find kids and people, and many places in the US have speed limits of 25 mph in residential zones.
Pedestrians cross roads too. They're less likely to be accidents if a car is going slower, and pedestrians can see people crossing sooner.
Pedestrians and bicycles have the right to use roads just like people in cars do. Cars must yield to pedestrians or bicycles.

In our current home, our road gets far more use from pedestrians and bicycles than from cars. At least twice a year we have as many as 5000 runners on our street in a single day. Our street never gets 5000 cars in a single day. Our street is more for pedestrian use than for car use (which is good because it is better suited for pedestrians than for cars anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive