Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 08:07 PM

50,789 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It is illegal to drive through mall parking lots. But unless you speed they probably won't stop you since you might be a customer.
Mall
Mall parking lots are not public roads though.

I think it’s like Keep Right Pass Left. Some states have signs that say that, but only a few like NJ actually passed it into law. You can get a ticket for it if there’s a law that backs it up, but if there isn’t how can they give you a ticket?

Not that I ever see people pulled over for it here unfortunately.��

I think for things like ignoring local traffic only signs during construction like I and many others did for almost a year to bypass a ridiculously out of the way detour on my daily commute, they might pull you over and say please follow the detour, but I don’t think you can get a ticket for driving on a public road just because you don’t live on it or know someone who does. “Oh, I’m allowed to drive on Mill Road today cause I’m visiting Sally”. How could that possibly be made a law?

There are a few areas where the residents DO own the road, including paying for upkeep without taxpayer dollars. Those people have every right to decide who can drive on their road.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-27-2018 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 01:32 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I've been going to this nearby mall for over 10 years and people still only use the main exit to leave the mall and it is jammed pack during mall closing time. There is back exit that is literally just 2mins drive to exit to the main road passing by all the cars still jammed at the main entrance/exit. I know Waze does not tell you to use the back exit since it is a longer drive and Waze doesn't seem to suggest different road option when it is not on public roads.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:48 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
In LA the liberal city leaders hate cars, they see cars as adding to global warming and causing accidents so they have started to make 4 lane roads into 2 lane and make a bike lane where there was a car lane. Naturally there are millions of cars using the road and NO bicycles.
This has causes such unhappiness that recalls of city councilman have been initiated.
And using Waze many people are cutting through residential neighborhoods to avoid the traffic jams these road diets cause.
This stupidity is coming to your town.
Our town in eastern South Dakota tried to do that and the state shot them down. Decreasing lanes? Who runs these city councils?

Old 04-28-2018, 08:41 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
There are some shortcuts that are borderline illegal, I think. We have a gas station sitting at a traffic light. It's always easier to go through that instead of sitting at the light waiting for a right turn.
Yes...that's illegal. I was used to cutting through a grocery store parking lot every day getting home from work. One day a cop stopped me...I was young and couldn't figure out why he kept asking me over and over if I was going to go into the grocery store! He had pity on my obvious ignorance but I found out later it was illegal to avoid a traffic light by cutting through like that.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:01 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
When I was in Beijing, it seemed that everyone drove on the major arteries, giving them a severe clogging problem.
I very quickly found that many of the surface streets were all but empty, and began finding my way around using them.

I could make it to the customer sites in half the time.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:50 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes...that's illegal. I was used to cutting through a grocery store parking lot every day getting home from work. One day a cop stopped me...I was young and couldn't figure out why he kept asking me over and over if I was going to go into the grocery store! He had pity on my obvious ignorance but I found out later it was illegal to avoid a traffic light by cutting through like that.
I've heard from others doing this. In some cases, management complains about it to the cops, so they'll send a car to patrol that area. They will stay on you as long as they need to to ensure that you're buying, or long enough to catch go by without shopping, and give you a warning. The warning includes a message that if you keep doing this, they will ticket you.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:54 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I've heard from others doing this. In some cases, management complains about it to the cops, so they'll send a car to patrol that area. They will stay on you as long as they need to to ensure that you're buying, or long enough to catch go by without shopping, and give you a warning. The warning includes a message that if you keep doing this, they will ticket you.
So if you pull into a store you cannot legally change your mind and decide not to buy something there?

Old 05-01-2018, 08:12 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
So if you pull into a store you cannot legally change your mind and decide not to buy something there?
You can try that line on the officer that pulls you over. I have no experience nor feedback from anybody on whether or not that'll work. Otherwise, I figure the minimum you should do is at least walk into the store and pretend that you really were shopping. I guess it comes down to how well do you think you can charm your way out of that situation vs. the risk of getting caught vs. how badly do you want to avoid getting a citation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive