Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 12:30 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,990 times

Advertisements

To me old worn leather looks far worse than old worn cloth. Small rips or punctures are more visible. Cloth never cracks. On some older SUVs, I looked at, the worst appearance item on the whole vehicle was the leather drivers seat. It's not a deal breaker, the overall condition is what counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 01:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Cloth,for home too. Every time I am taken by the look of leather, I regret it later.
x2

ez / comfy seating

or...
hot and sweaty (burning)
or
FREEZING cold

I have all varieties in my 30+ cars and trucks.

preference = comfy or if I MUST use one of my vehicles with leather... I use one of those Asian BEAD covers that gets me OFF the leather.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:28 AM

6,575 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
But if your heated/cooled seats break...they're still seats. No real need to repair.
Oh I know. And many do not fix. But then you've a) spent the money on an "upgrade" that is no longer valid and b) it's no longer valid for resale price either

I bypassed the compressor on my truck when it seized. I just don't use AC often enough to have justified the price to replace it. But it's now a $500 repair if the next owner wants it.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:28 AM

430 posts, read 556,575 times
Leather with heated and cooled seats is the best of both worlds. Yes I'm a spoiled pansy now, but I don't want to go back to not having these features.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:22 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Sometimes you are stuck with leather. If you want an upgraded package, leather becomes standard. You can't mix and match.
I decide against getting the upgrade package if it forces me to get leather in that package. A couple times I badly wanted the other options that were in the same upgrade package and decided to buy a different make/model which allowed me to get those options without leather.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:27 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I decide against getting the upgrade package if it forces me to get leather in that package. A couple times I badly wanted the other options that were in the same upgrade package and decided to buy a different make/model which allowed me to get those options without leather.
Would be fairly easy to find someone willing to swap their cloth for your leather and give you some cash on top if you got the package.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:40 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
Quote:
Would be fairly easy to find someone willing to swap their cloth for your leather and give you some cash on top if you got the package.
I would never buy a brand new vehicle and then get the seats swapped out. Instead, I buy a vehicle that already has the seats I want. It's part of the purchasing decision.

Ted Turner did that with some vehicles he used on his Montana ranch, I am pretty sure. He didn't want leather.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:31 PM

765 posts, read 473,263 times
i agree with hemlock 140....recently had a more luxury model car with leather everywhere and i didn't enjoy it, living as i do here in North Narrowlina where muggy doesn't fully describe the proper level of intense humidity in the air here.... plus it was dang dang dang like sitting on an icicle when i would get into my car in the winter, ok, the heated seat feature would ameliorate it, but no..... i'm a cloth kinda gal and hello? you just get a car seat cover for goodness sakes!!! they make really cool ones now, I have just bought a new SCA-REEMING red jeep 4 wheel drive (cuz after 4 years here in Narrowlina i got sick of waiting 5 days for the STATE plows to finally get to my poor cul-de-sac, honestly, not one plow anywhere in the counties!!!!) and i found the cutest bright red seat covers with white polka dots.... and padded "face" headrests.... i chose an Einstein head for the front passenger seat, Groucho and Harpo for the backseat and my driver headrest is LambChop.... ok, i'm probably the only one old enough to remember LambChop, lol but it makes this old geezer feel young and happy

Old 04-28-2018, 02:18 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
Quote:
Any authorized dealer parts department would be happy to sell you either leather or cloth OEM factory seat material.

If you didn't want leather - the leather could be sold on eb*y for a good chunk of change.

Swapping is pretty easy at a good automotive upholstery shop.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:22 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
Not cloth for me.

Holds in all types of pollen, dirt, dust, spilled coffee, and on and on. And cloth can turn to stink much easier then leather.

In the olden days, I always got vinyl seats. Vinyl seats were almost always an option on regular cars and trucks. Long gone now.

But I do see Porsche offering "leatherette" seats as standard. Leatherette is a fancy word for vinyl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive