Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 02:42 AM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times

Advertisements

Most of today’s trailer hitches are easily removable. So why do people leave them on when not towing? When we weren’t towing we removed the hitch. Only time my dad didn’t remove the hitch was when it was built into the bumper.

Reason for my question is parking towers. The drive path is narrow and parking lanes short in length. Some trailer hitches stick out at least a foot from the rear bumper. Some stick out further. But all of these can easily be removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 04:11 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,382,638 times
Some of those draw bars are expensive, and folks leave them locked in the receiver to avoid theft.....having it stolen and no way to tow your rig is not a good situation. After walking into ours a few times, I keep it in the bed of the truck and hope for the best.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:42 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Not removing a trailer hitch when not in use is one of my pet peeves, bang your shin on it once and you'll be just like me. Even if you are accustomed to it that is a pretty big hazard to others.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:46 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
They do it for convenience. First you have to remove it, and then find a place to store it in the vehicle. Plus, some people tow things often, even daily, so it gets to be a pain to keep taking it on and off. Commercial guys may use theirs every day, so they just leave them on.

A secondary reason is, it protects your bumper. Other cars stay way back from you because they don't want to become impaled on the hitch.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:46 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
When my truck was my primary vehicle I usually pulled the hitch when I wasn't using it. Now that it's just used for towing and as a backup vehicle I don't bother. As I get older I've also discovered that it makes a nice step for getting into the bed.

I call BS on the "reason for asking", by the way. In a parking garage with narrow lanes I'd expect the parking spaces to be angled. Given the width of the vehicle you'd expect to find a large hitch on, the protruding corner would stick out just as far as the hitch.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:04 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
I remove mine when it is not being used. I don't want to bang my knee on it and I like the look of the custom cover with my business logo on the receiver.

I once read that someone was sued due to their hitch sticking out in a parking lot. Someone was walking along and banged their leg pretty bad and had to go to the hospital. The premise for the law suit was that the hitch was removable and not a permanent part of the truck so the owner should have removed it when it was not in use so it couldn't hurt someone.

I do not remember the outcome of this case but considering how everyone is now sue happy in America I wouldn't be surprised if the truck owner had to pay up.

Why take the risk?

Old 04-26-2018, 07:10 AM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
When my truck was my primary vehicle I usually pulled the hitch when I wasn't using it. Now that it's just used for towing and as a backup vehicle I don't bother. As I get older I've also discovered that it makes a nice step for getting into the bed.

I call BS on the "reason for asking", by the way. In a parking garage with narrow lanes I'd expect the parking spaces to be angled. Given the width of the vehicle you'd expect to find a large hitch on, the protruding corner would stick out just as far as the hitch.
Two way travel in parking tower, parking lanes are straight in, not diagonal.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
For those of us that only tow a travel trailer 8-10 times a year like me, it's good to remove it, not only to prevent knee injuries but to make it easier to park without endangering the front end from passersby. There are many, however, that will tow a boat to the lake every weekend, and it's not practical to remove it every time, at least during the boating season. Then there are those that are in the landscape or construction business that tow a trailer every day.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:06 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
My truck is a lifted F350 so a parking tower isn't an option. Not even close. 8 foot bed crew cab.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:12 AM

16,604 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
They do it for convenience. First you have to remove it, and then find a place to store it in the vehicle. Plus, some people tow things often, even daily, so it gets to be a pain to keep taking it on and off. Commercial guys may use theirs every day, so they just leave them on.

A secondary reason is, it protects your bumper. Other cars stay way back from you because they don't want to become impaled on the hitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive