Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 08:07 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Id say vanity is why many guys drive 3/4 and 1 ton and larger trucks in the first place. !
Perhaps a better word would be machismo.

In South America, some of Toyota's Land Cruisers are actually branded with this name-Toyota Macho.

Look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 08:47 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
But beach off road isn’t as dirty or as damaging as rock woods or mud. Sure the truck can get stuck and ride comes in. But for the most part you don’t have the damage potential you would in the woods rocks or mud.That’s all I’m getting at.
And that is what gets many first timers on the beach into a lot of problems. Beach damage is a lot of times invisible. Go too fast through a puddle or flooded roadway to the access and upon cleaning you may have a nice rig - but you don't see the corrosion starting in the electrical system from saltwater. Likewise sand kicked up into the undercarriage and engine area carries damaging salt as well. One can keep a frame and driveline rust free and looking new for a while but it eventually gets to it and surface rust takes over.

Oh yea, and let the wind kick up to about 20 plus and you can see a side of a pretty truck sand blasted to the point of needing paint.

Back to the point of this thread, that is one reason I like oversized tires and a lift on my truck. If beach access is flooded, which happens a good bit during fall storms, I can crawl through water and the height of the sidewalls (hate large diameter rims) will not hit rims, hubs, or breaks. Likewise at crawl speeds I can avoid kicking up a lot of the sand and salt up into the "vitals" of my truck. Though if I start spinning the tires that theory goes out the window) That kind of driving and being up a bit has saved my 07 ram from rusting out and I drive on the beaches a good bit.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:36 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
And that is what gets many first timers on the beach into a lot of problems. Beach damage is a lot of times invisible. Go too fast through a puddle or flooded roadway to the access and upon cleaning you may have a nice rig - but you don't see the corrosion starting in the electrical system from saltwater. Likewise sand kicked up into the undercarriage and engine area carries damaging salt as well. One can keep a frame and driveline rust free and looking new for a while but it eventually gets to it and surface rust takes over.

Oh yea, and let the wind kick up to about 20 plus and you can see a side of a pretty truck sand blasted to the point of needing paint.

Back to the point of this thread, that is one reason I like oversized tires and a lift on my truck. If beach access is flooded, which happens a good bit during fall storms, I can crawl through water and the height of the sidewalls (hate large diameter rims) will not hit rims, hubs, or breaks. Likewise at crawl speeds I can avoid kicking up a lot of the sand and salt up into the "vitals" of my truck. Though if I start spinning the tires that theory goes out the window) That kind of driving and being up a bit has saved my 07 ram from rusting out and I drive on the beaches a good bit.
saltwater and other junk may get kicked up underneath, but whenever it rains and you are driving, that also gets kicked up and rinses it off to some degree.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:37 AM

574 posts, read 382,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Lifted trucks should be illegal. They are a roll over risk and they are very dangerous if they crash into a normal vehicle since they bypass the frame of the other vehicle and smash into the occupants and will end up rolling the truck.

Dangerous to both the truck user and others. They need to amend the "street legal" rules to mandate crash compatible bumper heights and well as proper height to width ratio for vehicles. A quick avoidance maneuver can roll some of these idiotic trucks. You can't drive "whatever you want". There are rules that are made for vehicles on public roads.

SUVs are a rollover risk too, and many even say that on the sun visor.......... ban them too?

Old 05-05-2018, 09:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

This is not street legal in any state, (tires sticking out well beyond the wheel wells). Even if he did have a flat tire, he would have to call one of those heavy truck mobile mechanics to change it.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:54 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:

First timers are gonna get ambushed regardless if they’re on a beach, woods, rocks, mud or desert.

Ultimately actually going off road will show signs on a vehicle regardless of how hard you try and keep it new. For the most part ANY off road excursion will have the possibility of doing some type of damage to a vehicle. Regardless if it’s a beach run or in the woods back country rock crawling.
The surface you're driving on will eventually impact the undercarriages springs wheel wells, and body of the vehicle. And leave signs.

As for lifted trucks I don’t much mind. Some are ridiculously lifted and absolute pavement queens. And easily seen. Nobody is going to buy a truck for 70,000 and drop 40,000 in lift paint and wheels stereo and go off road. Those trucks are for show. I install bigger tires, winches and camper shells on my trucks. I don’t mess with my trucks. For my off road use they are set up right. . When I was younger I lifted them more because I was into more challenging off road.

Quote:

This is not street legal in any state, (tires sticking out well beyond the wheel wells). Even if he did have a flat tire, he would have to call one of those heavy truck mobile mechanics to change it.
Most normal things n the riadcthat than flatten a regular tire won’t even penetrate that tread on the tire. Much less the casing. But yeah that thing is most likely a truck built for deep mud.
Maybe the guy enjoys 4 miles to the gallon

Old 05-06-2018, 04:04 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Yes, I will agree that the really lifted vehicles are usually for show. Though I like them. Some modify sports cars and tune the Japenese cars etc. Some like vehicles perfectly stock. I like lifted trucks, even if they are pavement queens. But, I like them done correctly, so they are safe. Now for those who feel there is no use for those types of trucks, there actually is. Mud! Deep mud. I don't even know if an all terrain type tread exists on te truly oversized tires (above 40") as once you get in that height they are typically designed with a mud tread.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:50 PM

40 posts, read 31,359 times
Quote:

The driver probably owns a heavy duty truck shop to begin with.

And don't ever say something is illegal on a technicality without citing either code or case law.

That is an Arizona plate, where they don't care much for Mickey-Mouse laws, and enjoy life much more than the rest of us do. All the off-roaders I know in California visit as often as they can, sometimes accidentally registering wheeled contraptions on that side of the river, etc. You can drive ATVs down the street in Arizona, and I see those guys on ATVs breaking the law in California all the time, with no Californians suffering any damage except jealousy. It is easy to hate the Arizonans, as the guy with the picture knows.

By the way, you need tires that big to ford the Colorado River if you don't want to drive all the way down to a bridge.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:45 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Yes, I will agree that the really lifted vehicles are usually for show. Though I like them. Some modify sports cars and tune the Japenese cars etc. Some like vehicles perfectly stock. I like lifted trucks, even if they are pavement queens. But, I like them done correctly, so they are safe. Now for those who feel there is no use for those types of trucks, there actually is. Mud! Deep mud. I don't even know if an all terrain type tread exists on te truly oversized tires (above 40") as once you get in that height they are typically designed with a mud tread.
I’m the same way. I don’t care how modified your vehicle is because I’m not the one driving or paying for it. As far as the treads and sizes I think once you go beyond a 38 inch you’re in basically mud tread tire only. I think Dick Cepek has some mild tread for sand. But for the most part it’s mud treads

Old 05-08-2018, 09:34 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
I generally don't judge people by what they drive, but I do see things from time to time that just plain look stupid.

Donks

Not sure what they are called but they are generally smallish sedans, lowered, wheels sticking out of the wheel well with a huge amount of negative (?) camber and tires stretched onto the wheel.

The occasional late 70's throwback, that lifts their muscle car. I don't see it too much , but damn it's stupid.

And then these lifted trucks. Now, I drive a 3/4 ton diesel, which sits high from the factory but it's the 6" , 8", 12" or more lifts that just look dumb...then the wheels offset outside the wheel well and with tires stretched onto the wheel. Wtf are they thinking ? Just horrible.

To each their own, but ask me my opinion and you won't like the answer...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive