Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 06:42 AM

6,543 posts, read 7,127,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
It's a tie. My car has two features that are amazing. The first is the Burmester sound system. There is no better car sound system for under $42,000 in my opinion (the Burmester audio option actually only costs $850 to add).

The second amazing feature on my car is the brake hold feature. The car allows you to put the car transmission on "hold" without having to put the car in PARK. So if you are at a red light or in a drive through, or in traffic, you can rest your foot and put the car on hold by pressing twice on the brake pedal. When you want to drive off, you simply accelerate.

These are the two features that sold me on the MB GLC300.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/owner...007c184335RCRD
My Cayenne has a brake hold automatically when stopped on a hill so you don’t roll backwards. I’m so used to it that when I was in Seattle in a Sequoia rental I would have hit a car behind me, had there been one when trying to accelerate from a stoplight on a steep hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 08:48 AM

604 posts, read 652,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lost View Post
Diesel..... probably a Silverado Duramax or equalivent is my best guess.
BMW 335D with 3L diesel engine tuned (no emission control filters, straight raw power).

forgot to add that still makes under 5 sec from 0 to 60

Old 05-02-2018, 09:14 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Tell us about your cars best attributes. What do yo like about it and why.
I really like my car. 2017 SL 550

I shop every few years with an open mind and a wide budget range and I keep coming back to this car (it's better this time - 2017 - than the last model - 2014).

It's comfortable. Like easy to spend a lot of time in (not like my other sports cars, 'Vette, etc). But it's also fast (0-60 4sec). BUT even though it's fast, it has manners and isn't exhausting or herky-jerky to drive (like the Vette or the F type R). Somehow it's also not too loud. It feels stable as heck to drive - feels good speeding through curves and the back end doesn't feel loose if you jam on the accelerator.

It's got good tech in it. All the warning stuff, blind spot stuff, and the distance pilot will actually drive the car (like it will keep you in the lane even as it curves and radar the cars around you to speed up/slow down). I don't use the distance pilot much, but it's pretty cool.

It's a convertible, but since it has a hard top, it doesn't look goofy with the top up (like most convertibles do, imo) and the cabin feels nicer.

It has the creature goodies, including heated/cooling seats and an air scarf (to warm the back of your neck).

Trunk space is beyond adequate. Fittings are tight - no rattling or things in the interior going loose. The computer system is easy to use and the screen is nice.

I like that the looks are more understated and elegant. Right now, you can get a white or black or gray one fairly easily, but there were only 2 red ones in the country when I got mine last year (had to have mine sent from New York), and I still haven't seen any driving around.

I also like that you can realistically use it as a daily driver without worrying about rubbing it with a diaper. I usually leave mine sitting in my carport. BFD.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:29 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,118 times
My car's best feature is that it's electric and I don't have to pay >$3/gal for gas, which is nice.
Of course, for this benefit, there are a lot of trade-offs such as range, and a variety of manufacturing/QC issues, etc but thankfully most have, knock on wood, tapered off after about a year of ownership.

Now, if the battery depreciation stays relatively low over 100k+ miles, I'll be happy. I'd be even happier if the budget manufacturers (Nissan, Chevy, et al) could get with the program and increase range on the Leaf and Bolt to somewhere closer to the 300 mile range - I'd love to own a smaller, electric hatchback, but being a weekend road tripper, they aren't really practical yet for this.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:34 AM

1,069 posts, read 785,836 times
Electric car and battery manufactures are getting better at what they do for sure. Thanks for your input.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:46 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,282,338 times
2016 Shelby GT350
Phenomenal track car (not that I've taken it out on one, but did do a track event with them).
Great sounding car w/ 5.2L Flat-plane crank engine.
This car has gotten more attention than any other car I've owned.

2011 Subaru Outback
Actually the SO's car. It's a nice, reliable car with SUV room, but not SUV handling.

2009 Subaru WRX STI
Probably the best of both worlds.
Daily driver that can haul ass and groceries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
My Cayenne has a brake hold automatically when stopped on a hill so you don’t roll backwards. I’m so used to it that when I was in Seattle in a Sequoia rental I would have hit a car behind me, had there been one when trying to accelerate from a stoplight on a steep hill.
I hate this feature on the STI. Maybe how it was executed. I believe it just enables the brakes for a few seconds after releasing the pedal so you have time to move to the clutch. But I often will end up fighting it trying to get the car going. So I disabled it.

The one on my GT350 is less intrusive... but still disabled it since it can still get in the way.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
I will have to add navigates potholes and basically missing patches of road without breaking the suspension (so far). Our little cars are taking a royal beating right now. Some form of repair is almost weekly between four of them. Big heavy suspension parts big thick tires and steel wheels are almost a must now.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-02-2018 at 10:17 AM..

Old 05-02-2018, 10:43 AM

342 posts, read 318,169 times
Quote:
Not really special, just a naturally aspirated C6 Z06 corvette. It is modified and most importantly, optimized.
It's nearly impossible for a 2 wheel drive car to do 0 to 60 in 2 seconds without slicks. Just adding more horsepower won't make the car quicker since it will spin the tires. The Dodge Demon does it in 2.5 seconds because they use "slicks" which can't be used on the highway or in the rain.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:45 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
No, not really.... its easily done. Only thing kind of special about mine is that I do it Naturally aspirated, which is somewhat rare. I'll add, many of my friends are much quicker..... some as quick as 1 second 0-60 mph.

Here are a few video's..... a few show my gopro attached to the rollcage in the hatch pointing backwards. Except for the one that is pointed at the speedo and tach and another shot by Royal Purple Raceway Marketing Department. They are all done in a safe legal environment at the racetrack.
Okay. "Optimized for drag" and on a raceway changes the rules a bit.

A compadre with the same car as mine (almost exact build) has put 14" drag tires on it and gotten just under 2 seconds, with a wide-ratio 4-speed to boot.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:26 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,554,833 times
MK7 VW GTI (2015): This is my 3rd GTI in a row over the past 10 years. I've had the same model (Autobahn) in the MK5 (07), MK6 (13), and MK7 (current 15). Other than the unbelievable usefulness of the design (4-door), my favorite feature has to be the double-clutch gear box. I love the ability to scratch that "manual" itch just enough, while also keeping wife happy who doesn't know how to drive a manual. The gearbox is just superb, and on this latest series of GTI, the engine torque is spot-on perfect for the car thanks to a larger turbo and properly set gear ratios. Since VW now controls Porsche, they had the 911 guys set up this current version of the GTI, and it is quite obvious (and the closest I'll ever get to having a 911). The switch gear, the steering ratio, all lean more towards the Porsche side of the factory than anything else. Even the steering wheel has very similar characteristics to the Porsche side. Even this version of the 2.0t engine was touched by the Porsche guys, who are now using a version of it in the new 718 Boxster. I've had this 15' since new, have 41k miles on it, and the thought of not having it drove me to the decision below.

W212 4-matic E350 Mercedes Benz (2014 / CPO buy 2017 with 21k miles). Getting a little older, a little wider, a little slower, I like the idea on some days for a heavy feeling "cruiser". My two favorite features on this Benz is the brake-hold feature at stop lights, and the refined luxury of the car in general. It's not an "ipad with a steering wheel", yet has all the technology of just about anything on the new lots today. It's there, just doesn't scream it at you. It just glides down the road, even with the "sport" package". The stereo is quite good too. I originally thought I would trade the GTI in for a new Toureg last summer. Turns out I got lucky without realizing it at first, thanks to what the subprime lending world has done to used car values. I simply can not believe a fully loaded, absolutely flawless, still under warranty, GTI was only worth $15k, when the exact same car sits on the showroom floor for $34k that was just 24 months newer and 33k less miles. Sent me down another path to look at the CPO market instead for a 3rd car, which was the right path considering I bought the benz with 21k miles, CPO'd, for $30k as a lease turn-in (sticker was $62k 3 years and 21k miles prior to). I couldn't buy a fully loaded Accord for that price. The GTI and the Benz combined = still notably less than that new Toureg I thought I wanted which was already hugely discounted due to the end of the Toureg model run for the US.

2013 Toyota Highlander Limited (family buggy). Favorite feature? Boogers don't stick to the leather, can take a grenade to the engine bay without even needing an oil change, and can be easily cleaned with a leaf blower. Chicken nuggets easily roll out from under the seats, has a usable 3rd row for other reproductive demonic spawns of financial torture, and overall is admired and loved by my family who have all puked in it at least once, yet you wouldn't know it thanks to Costco clean wipes and some Lysol spray. Pretty sure the cockroaches will be driving it long after humans have left the planet.

Last edited by NC211; 05-02-2018 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive