Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
What's been your longest lasting car Battery you have owned? Whats been the shortest lasting car battery you have owned? Car batteries play a huge part in the day to day dependability of your car. Have you found success in the selection and care of your cars battery?
i was looking for the longest lasting car battery for my prius and found this beast northstar lead battery while going through a batteries guide and feel really satisfied with it and really recommend yall to check it out
guide link : [url]https://groomyourcar.info/best-car-battery-for-the-money/[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 04:27 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
My Les Schwab (Johnson Controls) battery in my 94 Ford F150 pickup lasted about 9 years. It was a good'un...

Old 02-08-2020, 04:57 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
I never keep cars long enough to know. The one in my C6 Vette lasted about 3 years and i had to replace it last month.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:47 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
The die hard Gold(Johnson controls) in my mustang went 11 years before I proactively replaced it when I observed it leaking a bit on top

Old 02-13-2020, 07:52 AM

1,069 posts, read 786,948 times
Default Here is an example of how it can work out in your favor. When a battery fails without warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
I would not know. I've kept my cars for 10-20 years each.
I figured out some decades ago that I don't have to wait for a battery to go bad and strand me or be annoying in some way. I change them myself in my car and my wife's car every 4 years or so. They don't cost much.

I'm so clever, or so I thought. My wife was driving home from work on a winter sleet/rain day in her 3 year old Toyota Camry and the car stopped running at a red light with the battery shorted out internally. Ya just can't win, lol.

I had to put up this post from an old city-data thread I had written a while back being it is the season of battery challenges. It's just another way out of a battery jam which was quite common not to long ago when a lot of people drove manual transmission cars.

You can't make this stuff up. Two senior citizens do a comedy routine at the bakery.

Today the battery in my 17 year car old decided to retire. The battery was a brand name and served me well, beyond the years of it's warranty. Never had a problem for the entire time the battery was in the car. I also have installed a digital voltmeter and it keeps the electrical surprises or problems at bay for the most part. But not today, This battery simply decided to go from 13.6 volts to .01 volts in the snap of your fingers. Internal short, (that quick) during the a startup right in front of the bakery 10 miles from the house.

So what now, my wife say's do you have jumper cables? I say, not in this car but not to worry. I then say, hop in the drivers seat and get ready to pop the clutch.

Now we have aroused curiosity with the seat switch and I proceed to the front of the car and shove it backward out of the parking spot. My wife comes from a forth generation bunch of diesel mechanics so she knows what to do. She now has the car pointed just perfectly toward the parking lot exit and I say ready.

She says yes, I say 2nd gear and as a push the car less then 15 feet I yell pop it. She lets out the clutch while in second gear and Vroom the engine starts. The store patrons smile, and we are now on our way to pick up and install the new battery. Just a minor hiccup that ended very well. That little skit was carried out by the same couple more then 50 years before in our VW bug. It doesn't happen very often but that is one of the reasons I like a standard transmission.

Sometimes it can work out in your favor. When a battery fails without warning.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:45 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I just sold a 1999 cargo van last year that still had the original battery in it.

Mostly, I get between 5-8 years on a battery. But I had a battery poop out at 3 years in my HHR; very irritating.

I usually buy interstate batteries or NAPA house brand. The HHR now has a Les Schwab battery because the battery clonked out right across the street from the Les Schwab, so I had them put a new battery in it. 5 year guarantee.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:20 PM

12,427 posts, read 9,529,208 times
I don't track this kind of thing, but I think I usually get about 5 years, give or take, out of a starter battery. Living at the MA/NH border, winter temperatures are always a good test for battery health!

Old 02-13-2020, 02:07 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,946,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I just sold a 1999 cargo van last year that still had the original battery in it.
20 years? How did you do it?

Old 02-13-2020, 03:26 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times
I've had batteries last from four to ten years. Having said that, I recall reading someplace (yeah, real helpful, I know...) that you should replace the battery prior to it being so weak that it's gonna die on you. Why? From memory, a weak battery puts some sort of stress on a car's charging system.

Hopefully, someone who knows about such things will expand on my above comment.

Rich

Old 02-13-2020, 07:39 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,407 times
2010 Audi A4 with original battery, but just moved to colder climate and starting to get nervous. Shopping for replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive