Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 05:32 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times

Advertisements

There are many new cars that don't have it. The OP is assuming every car has it, or at least that's what it sounded like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 05:42 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
I hate it! My husband loves it. I hate a fan blowing full force in my face. I'm not hot when he is. It honestly makes me nuts, so I don't use it in my car, ever. He uses it often in his car, I tolerate it, but hate it.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:26 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
After reading this I paid attention and set my 2017 Ford Explorer on AUTO. I will see how it works out.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:03 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Some people are in a rush to see the cabin to heat up or cool down. My wife is one of those as is her mom. She does not like air blowing on her either. So when I look at new cars to buy, one key question she asks is how many fan speeds the car has. Minimum acceptable to her is 5. We are in Texas where it gets very hot inside in summer more so than cold in winter. She gets in and turns the vents away from her face and body and turns the fan on high for ac or heat once the engine is hot enough. Once she is comfortable, she turns the fan on low. The temperature setting is always the same while this is going on and usually set at 74.

Side benefit is I dont have to ask her if she has driven the car last, I can immediately tell as I turn the ac back to auto lol.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:37 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
There are many new cars that don't have it. The OP is assuming every car has it, or at least that's what it sounded like.
No, no. I said every car I've ever owned had it. I know it's not ubiquitous.

That all said, it is much more common these days. Auto A/C used to be a "luxury feature" on primarily higher end, expensive cars. For example, I'm almost positive you couldn't get it in a 90s Camry (even the ones with V6, leather, sunroof etc.), but every Lexus had it.

It's different now. The friend I have who I told about it (and won't shut up with how much she loves it now that she knows what it is lol) drives a new Fusion which equates to a Ford Contour in the 90s. Pretty certain no Ford Contour had auto a/c, lol.

To some other posters, I do see what you mean if you don't like lots of air blowing on you or whatnot. I'm the total opposite, hell hath no fury like me hot--I close off the passenger vent by the door to give me more airflow. I simply can't imagine not having full force a/c when needed.

Whatever works best for everyone, more power to them.

I grew up with it, the majority of my parents' cars had it and all mine have. I might feel differently if it wasn't what I was used to, but it's personally always served me well and I could never not use "auto".

If your car has an auto button and you've never used it, put it on 72 and forget about it, see if it works for you. It's working if you never think about how hot or cold you are.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:24 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
On a hot summer day after the car has been sitting in the sun you do not want to put the recirc or max cool on the car AC. Best to roll down all the windows, turn on AC (not max nor recirc), and start going down the road. After a few minutes roll up the windows. When you feel the air cooling down then switch to recirc or max cooling.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:26 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
I use the Auto feature for cold months, but I do not leave the A/C compressor on, unless the windows are fogged up and I need to remove the humidity. I leave the temperature set to 65 and let the climate control do the work with only vent and heater.

However, once the outside temperatures get above 60 or so, the windows go down, the top goes down, and the climate control goes to manual. In the hottest months, I turn on max A/C, set the fan speed to max, point all of the vents to me, and close off the rear seat vents.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:43 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Lol, this has to be one of my biggest pet peeves. SET IT AND FORGET IT. It's designed so you don't have to **** with it! This KILLS ME!

Every time I get in DH's or mother's car their HVACs are never on Auto, lol we joke about it because it makes me want to kill him. He says he likes the air flow he can control. Got it. Well, leave it on 70 and the fans will blow a plenty until it brings the temp down to....70. Also, when it's cold and engine is cold, turning it to 90 will literally do NOTHING different than if it is on...70. Do people just not understand this? (Not saying anyone is an idiot.)

Every car I've ever owned has had auto climate control. The temps have never, literally, been set on anything other than from 68-72.

I've never been uncomfortable temp wise in any of my cars.

I just explained the whole thing to a co-worker; she didn't realize what it was for. It was my good deed for the day. I told her to tell everyone she knows and make sure they know I told her, ha.

Now folks, this is a lighthearted thread not intended to go off the rails. I'm aware that certain people have their own preferences (like I have mine). My little sister who is literally genius level IQ (majored in organic chemistry now in med school) doesn't understand how it works. She's a BILLION times smarter than I am. What gives, lol.

But just as a rant I can't stand seeing a car without its auto A/C enabled, curious about some of the regulars on here think about it.
So... your subjective preferences (yes, 'comfortable' is a subjective thing) are right and the subjective preferences of others are wrong? Therefore, you are upset when people - in their own cars - concern themselves with their own subjective preferences and not yours?

That self-absorption is staggering...

Old 05-02-2018, 06:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
A lot of people just don’t like that loud high fan speed, and ‘auto’ almost always selects that when you first start the car.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I hate it! My husband loves it. I hate a fan blowing full force in my face. I'm not hot when he is. It honestly makes me nuts, so I don't use it in my car, ever. He uses it often in his car, I tolerate it, but hate it.
Yup. I'm not willing to have the fan blow harder (I hate wind) to cool or heat faster, so I want blower control.

When the top is down, no AC/heat is on anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive