Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 12:54 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,704,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
why should i leave my climate control on automatic? the problem with that is i dont have control over the blower speed, and i prefer that control.
Yes...exactly! The blower speed that is controlled by the climate control unit is what I don't like in my current car. I set mine at whatever temperature I choose, and things are good. Then the car sits in the sun for a while for instance, and I get in the car and the freaking blower goes on high (presumably to cool the car down) and making all kinds of noise and ends up drying out my contacts. So I end up diddling with the blower control anyway, so it's anything but "automatic" in my opinion.

I haven't noticed this on my newest car, but on my 2007 Trailblazer, which also had automatic climate control, I had another issue. If it was set at 78 degrees, for instance in the winter, and you've been driving a longer distance than normal, at some point you feel it's getting to warm in the vehicle, so I'd turn it down to let's say 74 degrees. Suddenly there is freaking ICE COLD air coming out of the vents. And I mean ice cold. To the point that it's terribly uncomfortable having them blowing that 20 below air on you....so now you're fiddling with the vent angles, or just turning the heat back up.

Automatic climate control is nice in theory....but in real life, in my opinion anyway, it's anything but "automatic" since you're always forced to fiddle with something to make things comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 07:08 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,843,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
I don't use the auto AC function. Don't like the fans blasting on me. I think of all the people I know, my mom is the only one who uses that function...surprisingly.
You move the vents not the ac controls. That way the cabin will still get to 70 degrees, but doesn’t blast you with cold air first.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:12 AM

I’ve also noticed people set their window defrost on max when it’s cold out. Defrost engages the AC compressor to help dry the air. When it’s cold out and the engine is cold, the defroster is actually blasting unheated refrigerated cold air at the windshield making it even colder.

My Jeep is the only vehicle I’ve had that is smart enough to not use the blower to heat anything until the engine warms up.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:45 AM

17,072 posts, read 11,923,562 times
I’ve owned 5 vehicles with auto climate of different brands now. All of them back off the fan speed until the heat starts producing heat.

A/c is just drying the air in defrost setting in winter. Does not get noticeably colder.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:24 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,165,406 times
My wife always turns Auto to off and it's annoying. She doesn't know how to get the system to function properly (It's a 3 zone system) so every time I get in her car, I have to press Auto and set the temp because she's got the fans running on high for no reason.

We've actually had the conversation where she told me she turned auto off because she wanted to turn the heater on because she was cold. She thought Auto was just for the A/C. Uh, no honey, it will either cool OR heat, all you have to do is set the temperature you want... sigh.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:29 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,012,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Lol, this has to be one of my biggest pet peeves. SET IT AND FORGET IT. It's designed so you don't have to **** with it! This KILLS ME!

Every time I get in DH's or mother's car their HVACs are never on Auto, lol we joke about it because it makes me want to kill him. He says he likes the air flow he can control. Got it. Well, leave it on 70 and the fans will blow a plenty until it brings the temp down to....70. Also, when it's cold and engine is cold, turning it to 90 will literally do NOTHING different than if it is on...70. Do people just not understand this? (Not saying anyone is an idiot.)

Every car I've ever owned has had auto climate control. The temps have never, literally, been set on anything other than from 68-72.

I've never been uncomfortable temp wise in any of my cars.

I just explained the whole thing to a co-worker; she didn't realize what it was for. It was my good deed for the day. I told her to tell everyone she knows and make sure they know I told her, ha.

Now folks, this is a lighthearted thread not intended to go off the rails. I'm aware that certain people have their own preferences (like I have mine). My little sister who is literally genius level IQ (majored in organic chemistry now in med school) doesn't understand how it works. She's a BILLION times smarter than I am. What gives, lol.

But just as a rant I can't stand seeing a car without its auto A/C enabled, curious about some of the regulars on here think about it.

Yeah, for cars with Auto-Climate it's better to set the temperature somewhere between, and not at, one of the two extremes.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
None of my cars save my wife’s has auto contolof any type on the AC. It’s jsut manual knobs.
Simple and cheap to fix. My wife’s AC system is a freaking nightmare if it were to break.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:10 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,503,989 times
I don't use it for one simple reason - I don't like to get blasted out when it's trying to race to the target temp. If it's 70 degrees and I say I want 67, I don't need it to go into hurricane mode to get there. Plus, I don't like AC if I don't have to use it, and my cars all seem to like it when in auto mode.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:21 PM

505 posts, read 836,757 times
I primarily use the ACC but sometimes have to do some manual adjusting. When it's really cold, I want some warm air towards my face and hands but the ACC likes to stay on the floor vents. On a mild summer day, the fans blowing full force to bring the temp down a few degrees is annoying.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
None of my cars save my wife’s has auto contolof any type on the AC. It’s jsut manual knobs.
Simple and cheap to fix. My wife’s AC system is a freaking nightmare if it were to break.
I noticed there is a subset of people on this forum that look at every imaginable feature as if it were to break at any moment and immediately think of how hard or expensive it is to fix.

In reality this type of thing doesn't break often enough to worry about it in those terms. I haven't had any AC issues (save for leaking Freon) since the early 90s and I've owned 14 different cars since then.

There is nothing on this earth that would ever convince me to go back to a manual AC again....ever. I hate them with a raging passion. It's just another way to be distracted while driving and constantly fiddling with the AC controls. All my automatic climate control cars I set the day I buy the car and never mess with it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive