Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:02 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Advertisements

I hear about stories of this happening all the time: where someone is driving through, usually a small town in the middle of nowhere, and the police stops them, then suspect them of transporting drugs or something, and seize their car which effectively strands them in the small town hundreds of miles away from home and no way to get home (no trains, uber, public transportation, airports, etc. nearby to get them out.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 09:55 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
If you got stopped by the police and they arrest you and seize your car because of drugs you won’t have to worry about getting a ride home till you make bail. It’s on you to find a way home you broke the law so it’s on you to get a ride. And you better be able to get a ride back for your court date with a lawyer.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:57 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
I think in order for them to seize the vehicle, they would have to take the driver into custody. I don't think it happens that they just take the car and leave the driver on the side of the road, at least it's not something I have ever heard of happening.

30 years ago, my husband and I were driving home after being at a party. He was pulled over for a burned out headlight and got grabbed for DWI. The highway patrolman asked if I was able to drive the car home. I told him if I had been capable of driving, I would have been the one behind the wheel. He let me ride down to the police station with my husband and I called a friend to come get us. He didn't want to leave me on the side of the highway at 2 AM. I got my car the next morning.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
If you got stopped by the police and they arrest you and seize your car because of drugs you won’t have to worry about getting a ride home till you make bail. It’s on you to find a way home you broke the law so it’s on you to get a ride. And you better be able to get a ride back for your court date with a lawyer.
What happens if you have family with you, especially kids and/or pets?

Old 04-15-2018, 10:04 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Read this. It's alarming, but good information to have.
Back in the late '90's, I remember reading a newspaper story about small towns along highway 10 in Louisana that would
stop and seize people's car, money, property. Hold them in jail on trumped-up, made-up charges. I can't remember if the Feds had to step in or not, but it did wake me up to this type of behavior from Law enforcement. Anytime you hand enormous amount of power over to any one individual, there is always the challenge for corruption. From
the beginning of humankind...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...r-broke-no-law

Old 04-15-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Read this. It's alarming, but good information to have.
Back in the late '90's, I remember reading a newspaper story about small towns along highway 10 in Louisana that would
stop and seize people's car, money, property. Hold them in jail on trumped-up, made-up charges. I can't remember if the Feds had to step in or not, but it did wake me up to this type of behavior from Law enforcement. Anytime you hand enormous amount of power over to any one individual, there is always the challenge for corruption. From
the beginning of humankind...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...r-broke-no-law
Wow, I think this was the exact article that I had read a while ago.. it really rung a bell when I saw the other thread about police seizing cars and it vaguely came back to my memory.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:48 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Yes. And in 'the land of the free...' LOL

Old 04-15-2018, 11:01 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
What happens if you have family with you, especially kids and/or pets?
Don't have drugs on you in vehicle with your kids in car. Problem solved.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Don't have drugs on you in vehicle with your kids in car. Problem solved.
What if it still happens if you didn't have drugs?

Old 04-15-2018, 11:11 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
What if it still happens if you didn't have drugs?
The poster obviously did not read the thread he/she just posted in as this cleary happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive