U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 08:33 PM

385 posts, read 258,310 times

Advertisements

How to work with Mobile Mechanic, side work mechanic ?
==========================================

Thanks for looking into my thread.

I find mobile mechanic, side work mechanic, who claim they can do better job than repair shop.

How do we verify their job and avoid rip-offs?

Is it OK to ask reference of past work, driving license info?

Thanks for your help/guidance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 08:59 PM

21,700 posts, read 24,208,472 times
Unfortunately you can’t really check his work. You can ask to see recent pics of his work and getvreferences. Most of these guys are fly by nights that I wouldn’t personally use.

Have the guy come over. What is he driving? If he pulls up with a tool set from the clearance isle at pep boys close your door and walk away.

I would be very weary about using some mobile mechanic I know nothing about. He may be cheaper but I’ve seen too many “this guy was cheap” results on friends cars. Unfortunately I got stuck fixing the “great deal” they got

Old 05-02-2018, 09:24 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,156,018 times
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Old 05-02-2018, 09:33 PM

17,711 posts, read 10,439,610 times
People will never stop looking for good, cheap mechanics.

Why would a good mechanic work cheaply? What's he going to do, make up for it by working longer hours?
C'mon, Man!

Old 05-02-2018, 09:39 PM

18,666 posts, read 25,888,452 times
I made an appointment for one of these mobile mechanics just last month. I got a text just before he was supposed to show up saying he couldn't make it and asking to reschedule. When I called the phone number for the mobile mechanic service, I got some rude call center guy that didn't make me want to do business with them.

I decided I'd rather go with a shop with an owner with a name who would need a good yelp review - and who personally, by name, had great reviews. I decided I'd rather pay more for that, and I'm glad I did.

On the other hand, I did use a mobile detail guy, and he did a great job detailing my truck for me.

However, he did mention he moved the large heavy tote behind my seat that had a very expensive after market air conditioner kit in it (we're talking it cost me about $1,700), and my truck was recently broken into and the a/c kit was stolen. Professional job. My truck is a 93 Nissan and was parked in an underground garage. Now, who knew where my truck was and what was in that opaque Rubbermaid tote behind the seats?

Was it a coincidence? Possibly. But, it makes me wonder.

I think it goes back to, you get what you pay for. Anyone who comes to you home has a legitimate reason to be there, and could be casing your property, basically with your permission.

I won't use any mobile services again. FWIW.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:35 PM

10,910 posts, read 14,609,095 times
First thing is to understand that mobile mechanics are as varied as brick & mortar repair shops.

Are you talking a mobile mechanic who is certified, insured and licensed who comes to you and may charge as much as a regular shop and offers warranties on their work
OR,
are you talking Joe and his van with some tools advertising cheap rates that was the main reason you're thinking about using them?

Old 05-17-2018, 08:16 AM

385 posts, read 258,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
First thing is to understand that mobile mechanics are as varied as brick & mortar repair shops.

are you talking Joe and his van with some tools advertising cheap rates that was the main reason you're thinking about using them?
YES

For any parts replacement, it is straight forward, but how do I handle body work from them?

I am talking about the above .

Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:26 AM

10,910 posts, read 14,609,095 times
I can't answer as I would never use a "A Man and a Van" for repair work.

I have no problems using a skilled professional mechanic for mobile repairs, but not just because they are cheap. Maybe others have done it this way and can chime in with advice.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:36 AM

5,736 posts, read 2,103,544 times
There are to many problems with trying to get ahold of them again if they messed something up , there gone in a flash with your cash. People stop being cheap and go to a llegit shop. Are these mobile mechanic’s licensed and insured do they take credit cards i bet not.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:12 AM

501 posts, read 527,383 times
Most mobile mechanics are guys doing side work. They aren't licensed or insured, which is why they are so cheap. If the guy gets hurt working in your driveway, dealing with the liability aspect isn't going to be fun. And what if he botches the job? Good luck calling him back to take him up on his "warranty," if there even is one.

I have a trusted indy shop I go to. In the off-chance something goes wrong, he will make it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or