Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
It may not be to you, but to her it is a beautiful and powerful family sedan. Personally I think Ferrari's and Lambo's are very overrated and mostly ugly.

Our 3rd vehicle is 1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4. It sits in the garage most of the time and is usually only used when I carry the dogs around. It gets horrible mpg's.
Which is fine but to claim to be a car aficionado and then claim a front wheel drive appliance is a beautiful and powerful car, , , , well if you do not get it, you do not belong in my club. Perhaps there is a Toyota toaster club someplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 09:27 PM

604 posts, read 652,981 times
a couple

Old 05-07-2018, 11:22 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,229 times
We do, actually. Two drivers, three cars.

DH bought one of the very first 1991 Ford Explorer Sports. Two doors, manual, 4WD. It currently has about 120,000 miles on it and is licensed as a PA Classic Car. He also has a 2005 Explorer with about 50,000 miles on it. I have a 2016 Mercedes CLS 550 with 18,500 miles on it. We adore all our cars.

P.S. We don't drive much.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:00 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I've always loved the idea of having an "extra" car, and now, as a semi-retired single woman, I'm going to do it. I am a real car nut, and took a bunch of auto tech classes when I was a young person.

I love, love, LOVE everything about cars.

I recently purchased a stunningly beautiful Camry V6 (to replace an aging Camry hybrid), and the V6 gets fair mileage (25 city - 35 highway - my averages).

However, I am filling it up twice a week. For my 2nd car, I've picked out a low-mileage slightly-used Prius C (the tiny Prius), and it's a sweet little ride. The savings in gas will offset extra costs of a second car. The previous owner was getting almost 50 mpgs around town (according to the car's computer).

Do you have a spare car in your driveway? Is it worth the extra trouble? Does it make you smile?
Sort of.

It is a question of which one is the spare, the Forester or the F-250 (which reminds me, I have to get the F-250 out on a "practice run"). The F-250 is there for jobs too big, too heavy for the Forester to do, but the Forester handles most of the runabout tasking. The Forester, of course, is less expensive to operate and it is easier to drive but it can't support a camping trip or haul oversized cargo.

When the Forester was in the shop last month, when it broke down on the highway a week later, well, of course I then used the F-250 to get around. There were no worries about what I would do.

In a dreamy sort of world, there are thoughts of keeping this Forester if I ever get a new one, but I don't know. There are those questions of "why" and practical matters such as insurance. As it was in my father's house and at my brother's house, there were/are a lot of cars. I think at the height of it, my father had a Delta 88, a Delta 88 SW, a Le Baron, an Opel, and maybe even his Delta convertible.

That, however, was a family and a business situation where there were cars for children and it is somewhat similar at my brother's.

As far as "practice run", well, cars need to be operated regularly to keep batteries charged. It's been about 3 weeks on the F-250; it's time.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:20 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I understand where you two are coming from but owning a Camry and a Prius makes the OP happy then more power to her.

She's sharing what she likes to drive and I don't see anything wrong with her choices.

Happy motoring, RosemaryT.
God bless you, Phlinak!

And yes, I would say that this is a beautiful car. This is a stock image, but my 2018 Camry is red (seen below), with the full panoramic roof. (The image below is an XSE but I have the XLE. Different wheels; same car, with a few minor differences. )

It was a special order, and I have the V6 with white leather interior, loaded.

It is new for 2018, with a redesigned V6, with 301 horsies under the hood. It does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. And it is a pleasure to drive.

Camry XLE 2018 by Rosethornil, on Flickr

It also has the LED lighting on the interior.
20180321_102717 Camry XLE Blue Stripe by Rosethornil, on Flickr

20180321_102321 Camry XLE V6 A by Rosethornil, on Flickr

Conversely, the little used Prius C that I purchased is a roller skate. It's adorable but as primitive as they come. And it's useful for hauling not-so-big things.

Prius C 2016 TWO by Rosethornil, on Flickr

Old 05-08-2018, 05:53 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
I don't see a purpose. I live in a townhome. I can keep two there but it could encroach if there are guests, etc. My most recent car was an Elantra. Great gas mileage, but it's extremely cramped and not comfortable to compared to my Cherokee or even older Escape.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:15 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I've had 2 vehicles for most of the past 32 yrs. Usually one is a truck which I use for work plus an economical wagon/sedan. It's nice to only worry about keeping one vehicle cleared out for people hauling. But most importantly repair episodes are stress free as there is something else to drive. Front wheel drive is nice for the very occasional snows.

This summer I may convert my wagon to a "work truck" and take the actual truck up to the mountains. First I can get to the trailheads over a bumpy gravel road. Then do I have less worry that it will get stolen being a 5 speed? Guess that's another topic.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:47 AM

892 posts, read 1,499,646 times
Bless you, Rosemary, for not falling into the cookie cutter world that most of the "car people" fall in to - that whole mentality of "if it's not a fire breathing, gas guzzling, monster V8, it's not a REAL car!" or "if it's not a stupid high horsepower sports car, it's not a REAL car!"

It's been my experience that those people are the ones that are most unhappy in life, and always more concerned about what other people think of their choices rather than just enjoying this ride. Whereas I'm betting Rosemary, with her ho-hum cars (to other people) is having a heck of a good time right now with her 300HP "appliance". Much the same as myself with my 320HP Cadillac, which most other "car guys" just assume is another slug slow grandpa-mobile, lol.

Yes, to 2nd and more extra vehicles. Current stable is a '06 Cadillac STS V8, '87 Suzuki Samurai, '90 Ford F350 CCLB 4x4, and '59 International B162. At one point I was up to 7 different vehicles, all for me. I live in the middle of nowhere. If a car breaks down, I'm up the creek so to speak. Buses stop about 25 miles away. An Uber to/from work would cost me around $100/day. I don't even want to THINK about what a traditional taxi would cost. Then there's just the convience factor. I don't have to deal with rentals, or getting alternate transportation..I just grab another set of keys off the rack and go.

As others have mentioned, there's also different vehicles for difference purposes. Sure, I COULD make my 100 mile round trip commute in the F350 or the Samurai, but it's a heck of a lot more comfortable in the Cadillac, and it gets better MPGs than the other two. On the flip side, towing the boat or the camper, or hauling a bunch of dirty or heavy things works much better with the F350 than the Cadillac. And when I need to go burn off some stress, beating on the Samurai in the dirt is fun, and I'm not worried about breaking a daily driver.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:07 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,368 times
Always had and continue to have a spare car since wife and I married. Don't care so much about paying the extra reg and insurance money, I like having peace of mind. Never know when a vehicle won't start or tire may be flat, just hope in the spare and worry about it later. Oh and my beater or hooptee as I call it, is better maintained than some people's primary vehicles.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:23 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,971,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I've always loved the idea of having an "extra" car, and now, as a semi-retired single woman, I'm going to do it. I am a real car nut, and took a bunch of auto tech classes when I was a young person.

I love, love, LOVE everything about cars.

I recently purchased a stunningly beautiful Camry V6 (to replace an aging Camry hybrid), and the V6 gets fair mileage (25 city - 35 highway - my averages).

However, I am filling it up twice a week. For my 2nd car, I've picked out a low-mileage slightly-used Prius C (the tiny Prius), and it's a sweet little ride. The savings in gas will offset extra costs of a second car. The previous owner was getting almost 50 mpgs around town (according to the car's computer).

Do you have a spare car in your driveway? Is it worth the extra trouble? Does it make you smile?
I have a DD (daily driver) and a Sunday driver. The DD is a 2018 Fusion Hybrid, which regularly gets around 40MPG in the city, saves me plenty in fuel costs. The other car, which I drive one or two days a week is the opposite. A highly modified 2001 Camaro Z28 that gets about 12MPG with about 460HP. Both cars make me smile in their own way, and I like having two cars, they both serve the purpose of transporting me from point A to point B, but in very different ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive