Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 03:33 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Are you really comparing hand cranking to using a key to start the car? I mean, really?
Everything is a gimmick for lazy people, it just depends on what decade you were born as to where to draw that line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 03:37 AM

672 posts, read 699,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Regular key for me. Lose your wireless FOB and you’re out a few hundred bucks easily
I had a Camry that had the key and fob as one unit. It cost me $300 to get it replaced when the key broke of the fob shell. Most newer cars that still have keyed entry seem to have the fob and key as one unit. I doubt they are cheap to replace.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
If the key fob fails, you're utterly stranded. That's what I don't like about them.

Having owned two "keyless start" Toyota Camrys, I can report that there is no hidden alternate for using the key to start the vehicle. The key accesses the locks on the driver's side door and the glove box.

With a a Camry you just hold the key close to the the push button switch if the battery is low. It's in the owner's manual, print or online.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's what happened to my wife. TPMS came on and gave her the pressure and which tire it was. She called me and I told her to come home and keep an eye on the pressure. She was on her way out of town to a remote area. Absolute worst place to have a flat. All of my vehicles have TPMS with individual tire pressure display. It's saved us twice now. I wouldn't want a vehicle without it. And I've never had a TPMS problem with any of my vehicles.

I love TPMS. It's definitely saved a few tires. With the individual sensor you can monitor a tire getting low on air before it even sets the low tire pressure light off. Also they don't leak like the rubber valve stems would.

I'm back to the dash low tire pressure indicator vs. the individual indicator. I don't like it, but that's better than nothing. For some reason Toyota remove the feature from the Camry for a few years it seems.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I think my favorite feature is having remote start. Letting my car warm up in the winter or cool off in the summer is great.

What I don't like about no longer having a physical key, is that I can't simply the turn the engine off while keeping the radio on. Pushing the button only cycles forward so everything gets turned off. But it's just a minor nuisance.

Put the car in neutral before turning the ignition off, and then put it into park. This has been my work around to that problem.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Chances are your mechanical key works the same way. You turning the key just sends a signal to the computer to start the car. It’s the same thing as wireless keys but with one extra step.

It’s like when people wanted analog gauges over digital because they thought they could trust it more, not realizing their analog gauges were still using a digital signal.

Exactly! Some people may not still recognize that if the still have manual hvac controls in their car, that it's really digital without the screen.

Keyless entry completes a circuit just as turning a key would but with less moving parts. What's so wrong about that.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:13 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
With a a Camry you just hold the key close to the the push button switch if the battery is low. It's in the owner's manual, print or online.
On top of that on my car at least there is a physical key “hidden” in the key fob to manually open the door if battery is low or drained.

It is all about the convenience factor for me. I LOVE just being able to walk up to the car and put my hand around the handle to unlock (no pressing buttons) my door (I have it setup to unlock all the doors as convenience).

In addition car won’t allow me to lock the door if fob is inside car and will beep if I step away from the car with engine still on.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:32 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
What car does that?
All mine allow me to just push the button to turn it off, which then shuts off the engine and leaves everything else powered on. When I open the door it cuts off everything else. Then if I push the button again without hitting the brake accessory mode comes back on.
Honda Civic. I wish that were the setting I have. I have to start work at 7 exactly so if I'm early I just wait out in the car and listen to music. Maybe I can change it

Old 05-13-2018, 07:57 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Keyed.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:28 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Wireless ignition keys vs standard ignition keys. Which do you prefer? Both keys have their pro's and con's what are your thoughts and experiences?
Standard. I've only used the wireless for a week, when I borrowed my BF's car, but I was always scared to death I would leave the key somewhere since I never needed to touch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive