Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 08:41 AM

3,286 posts, read 1,794,161 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's my story.. it made me an instant cheerleader for new technology.

On the drive back from my 'eclipse trip' last year I went over some unavoidable road debris on I-95 in the left lane.
I was uncertain as to the effect, checked my tps and YOWSA.. left rear wheel dropping pressure.. fast.
I quickly moved right, slowed down, and proceeded onto exit ramp ~ a mile away. My passenger noticed a Lexus dealer off the highway as we rode by. I limped into a station, the tire was almost totally flat and could hold no air.. but where was the dealership she saw just moments before? And did I save my rim, an expensive sport style on my new RC 350?
I needed help, badly, so yup, I hit the 'SOS' button above the dashboard and got connected instantly to a nice lady who gave me the local dealerships number, which I called, and they directed me thru a back entrance that I would not have anticipated. Right into the service department!

We ate our lunch, had a cup of cappuccino, got a chair massage, drooled at the new models, the tire was replaced, the rim was saved, and we got home an hour later! Lucky?.. a bit... but the hi-tech did the rest.
I LOVE my '16 Lexus with all it's bells and whistles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 08:59 AM

7,476 posts, read 6,222,489 times
Another view.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/b...xide-toll.html

Old 05-13-2018, 10:20 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,903,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Oh good lord.
1st if you forget to turn off your car simple because there’s no key to pull out, you deserve to die.
2nd if you can’t tell that your engine is on, you deserve to die.

It’s a self correcting problem.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:09 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,565,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Oh good lord.
1st if you forget to turn off your car simple because there’s no key to pull out, you deserve to die.

I think that’s a bit harsh. The poor man was in his 70s.

My truck beeps at me if the fob is too far away and it’s still running.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I think that’s a bit harsh. The poor man was in his 70s.

My truck beeps at me if the fob is too far away and it’s still running.
It’s an exaggeration to anytime legislation is considered because somebody did something stupid. He could have just as easily left his mechanical key in the car. At least a Fob knows when you left the car with it running.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:14 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,625,886 times
I'll never buy another car without wireless ignition.

The newest Tesla's have replaced the key fobs with an app for your phone, and the physical backup is a card (like a credit card) for your wallet. Your phone makes a Bluetooth connection as you approach the car. I would think that would replace the problem of the $250 key fob replacement. But I'm not sure.

I'd also be okay with systems that turn off the engine (in any car) after a couple minutes of inactivity. Seems like there ought to be smart ways of doing that.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:29 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,654,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Oh good lord.

Wow. Two of my three cars are so smooth and quiet you can’t tell they’re running from inside. So I deserve to die?

Our ‘11 IS350 has keyless and I’ve forgotten to turn it off before. I’m used to using keys though.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:12 PM

4,309 posts, read 7,200,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
The only negative I can think of is the instances of people using range extenders to extend the range of your key fob and get into or steal your vehicle without having to break the glass, hotwire, punch out the lock or any of that kind of stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is no reason this should be possible and I'm saying that as someone that has a pretty good understanding of encryption.
On an online neighborhood forum a couple of years ago, there were a few posters reporting either the theft of their vehicle, or burglary of their vehicle at their residence. It was suspected that thieves may have employed scanners as a means to gain access to the vehicles, because they were locked, and there was no evidence of forced entry (broken glass, punched-out lock, etc.). A couple of posters chimed in and warned of the vulnerability of modern keyless vehicles to theft, boasting that scanning equipment could be easily purchased online by anyone, and YouTube videos show how easy it is for average Joe to perpetrate theft with these devices. They suggested always lock your doors with the inside lock button, instead of the fob, especially in public parking areas, for maximum protection against unauthorized entry, or vehicle theft.

Personally, I always thought the ease code capturing and hacking angle was grossly oversimplified.

Currently, I have keyless entry with a chipped ignition key that is not integrated as a one piece key fob. It works just fine, as far as I'm concerned, but I wouldn't resist accepting completely keyless system.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:24 AM

3,286 posts, read 1,794,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
After 75 years of driving, my father thought that when he took the key with him when he left the car, the car would be off,” said Mr. Schaub’s son Doug.

The man was NOT in his seventies, as one poster remarked.. he was in his NINETIES..and based on the outcome, clearly should not have been driving a vehicle.. keyless or otherwise!

But not to worry. There soon be a quick 'software fix' to provide the option to auto turn off the vehicle when certain criteria are met, thus allowing even the most incompetent among us the privilege to drive.

For these reasons alone there WILL be a slow migration to driverless cars.
Brace yourself.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
After 75 years of driving, my father thought that when he took the key with him when he left the car, the car would be off,” said Mr. Schaub’s son Doug.

The man was NOT in his seventies, as one poster remarked.. he was in his NINETIES..and based on the outcome, clearly should not have been driving a vehicle.. keyless or otherwise!

But not to worry. There soon be a quick 'software fix' to provide the option to auto turn off the vehicle when certain criteria are met, thus allowing even the most incompetent among us the privilege to drive.

For these reasons alone there WILL be a slow migration to driverless cars.
Brace yourself.
Once again, I'd take my chances with the robot car vs people like this driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive