Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 12:20 PM

797 posts, read 751,473 times

Advertisements

Seriously, I can't believe scammers are still out there. I always browse cars,because some deals too come up,like low mileage classics or what not. But Its funny when of course the car is super low miles,way too under priced and the background is not even close to 250 miles within reach.

So I decided to have some fun. The ones I can text, I text about the car. I use a fake number via app. Two so far have said"I am posting it for my sister please email ( ) for more details.
One I asked how come she couldn't post it herself, is she retarded. The other I just said not interested just browsing false ads for an investigation. IDK how far I want to go with this,
and actually I just realized I might have a little too much time on my hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 12:34 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Automotive News
About 10-15 years ago.

New/used car dealer.

Get email from England. Will buy a used $45,000 car. Will pay extra for transportation and a little more for administration service to ship.

Sends/mails a Barclay's Bank money order/bank check.

New car dealer goes to deposit check in local bank and asks if check is legitimate. Local bank states YES. Good check.

Car is shipped with all paperwork to England or someplace in Europe (can't remember what country shipped to).

2-3 months later the local bank wants the $45,000 back.

You see, the Barclay's Bank check was legitimate. BUT the check was for only $10.00.

The check itself stated $45,000. Dealer had to pay the bank back the full amount .

So what happened?

Old 05-11-2018, 12:44 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,153 times
You mean that $1,500 2015 Lexus with 10,000 miles and a picture clearly taken in the Pacific Northwest isn't legit?

Old 05-11-2018, 03:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Automotive News
About 10-15 years ago.

New/used car dealer.

Get email from England. Will buy a used $45,000 car. Will pay extra for transportation and a little more for administration service to ship.

Sends/mails a Barclay's Bank money order/bank check.

New car dealer goes to deposit check in local bank and asks if check is legitimate. Local bank states YES. Good check.

Car is shipped with all paperwork to England or someplace in Europe (can't remember what country shipped to).

2-3 months later the local bank wants the $45,000 back.

You see, the Barclay's Bank check was legitimate. BUT the check was for only $10.00.

The check itself stated $45,000. Dealer had to pay the bank back the full amount .

So what happened?
Someone washed the check.

That’s why when I sell it’s cash.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:02 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
CL can and many times is a great place to buy stuff.....but the amount of scammers and time-wasters on that site is insane.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:20 PM

8,326 posts, read 6,417,109 times
My trouble has been a expected to be a legitimate ad but the seller doesn't respond to attempts to contact them.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:20 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
I've been looking at a few different cars for restoration. I'm amazed at the people trying to sell a car where they have 'missing' for title. One listed had 'title is missing but easy to replace'. So I wrote and asked 'if a title is so easy to replace, why don't you do it so you can prove ownership?' Reply was 'don't be a smart ass'. Then there are the 'skip title' cars. My DMV office doesn't want to see them. So now the first question I ask is, 'Does the car have a Florida title and is your name on it'. [non Florida title adds over $300 to the cost] Then there are the overly priced rust buckets that the owner thinks I can drive the car on a Barrett-Jackson or Mecum stage.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:39 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
My trouble has been a expected to be a legitimate ad but the seller doesn't respond to attempts to contact them.
People sell all kinds of illegal things using fake CL ads.

Back when i was using dope, I had to resort to going thru CL dealers a few times, they word their ads very cleverly and put them in sections you would not assume (the one I used was posted in tools section!), addicts know what to look for and spot these ads right away, I bet I could still go on CL and spot them immediately. Oddly enough the one I used had a pretty ingenious method to do the 'transfer', buyer and seller never met face to face and neither had each others real contact info at the same time! It was so simple, and so effective at keeping 'unwanted' attention away! LOL

They have been doing this for years and years, but if someone happens to call one of these, thinking its actually for the fake ad, they would just not reply

Old 05-12-2018, 03:00 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
I was in a couple of specialty car communities, and it was a regular game to spot well-known cars in fake ads. Usually high-end classic Mustangs. The scammers would scrape photos from owner or club sites and write up an ad; there are, however, only so many mint, Q-code, red 1968 convertibles around...

Old 05-12-2018, 05:31 PM

505 posts, read 846,790 times
Yep a lot of scumbags on CL. It's pretty easy to spot them for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive