Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 04:45 AM

1,069 posts, read 785,836 times

Advertisements

Automatic transmissions, vs Standard, vs dual-clutch, vs CVT. It's a big decision.

Which one do you pick? Why and at what cost? What about it's long term repair history? How does fuel mileage factor in? Do the math, for the best long term results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 05:01 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,239,198 times
Manual all the way. I consistently get better than epa mpg ratings with a manual. While losing less power to drivetrain loss and being cheaper to buy and maintain as well. DCT May outperform but pricey maintenance.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:02 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,599,256 times
Not a big decision for me. Standard every time. I like the fun and control of selecting the gears myself. I like having something for my left foot to do besides sit on a "dead pedal". Not concerned with repair history, fuel mileage, or any associated math that goes along with it.

That said, my current car is probably my last car with a standard transmission. Once my wife and I retire, we will probably have only one car, and it will be an automatic for my wife's benefit.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:30 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,095,200 times
Manual/Standard.... for the reasons already mentioned. It is getting harder to find them though.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:36 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times
Automatic for me I’ve been driving since 1973 I’ve had plenty of manuals from cars to pickups to driving a 3 on the tree to 4 on the floor and 5 on the floor . Now I must admit driving a 3 on the tree was fun. But now it’s whats ever in the vehicle I buy I have been through my manual phase.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:37 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,282,338 times
Both of my cars are manual. And I would normally take a manual if the options exists. That said - how much of a factor on my decision to buy a car will depend on its purpose. If it's going to be a weekend 'fun' car. Having a manual will matter a lot more than buying a daily commute car.

As for dual-clutch - same thing within the 'fun' car category. But at that point you're getting into to the details.... like wheel mounted or column mounted paddles, etc.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:46 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
I like a manual, but only if it’s a 5 speed. Some of these newer 6+ speeds have funky shift patterns I have a heard time getting used to.

Other than that I like a regular automatic, no CVT for me.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:53 AM

1,069 posts, read 785,836 times
Default You said it. There is a lesson to be learned here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Manual all the way. I consistently get better than epa mpg ratings with a manual. While losing less power to drivetrain loss and being cheaper to buy and maintain as well. DCT May outperform but pricey maintenance.

Over a lifetime if you keep a car 10 years and buy seven, one of them is completely free with the MPG boost and having zero transmission or clutch repairs. There's a caveat here, "if you drive normally and do prescribed maintenance". I wonder why they are doing away with them.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:14 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Automatic transmissions, vs Standard, vs dual-clutch, vs CVT. It's a big decision.

Which one do you pick? Why and at what cost? What about it's long term repair history? How does fuel mileage factor in? Do the math, for the best long term results.
I drive all manuals, but they aren't for everyone.

I don't care for variable as it seems like a rubber band and I just feel uncertain if I need to pass a car on a two lane road, so I won't pass unless I have a ton of room.

An automatic is fine and they have been around a very long time now, so they have perfected them. No problems with them at all.

Dual clutch is super fast and great, but there certainly have been a lot of issues with them to the point some car makers are getting rid of them because of maintenance issues. They are super fast though.

I think manuals are best for longevity IF the driver is a good one. Nothing is easier on a car than a smoothly shifted manual because the clutch acts as a buffer from the road to the motor. You can really baby a car with a manual as it has a coasting feature that automatics don't enjoy. You still can't beat the manual, but if you aren't good at shifting and don't understand them, then don't get one.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:45 AM

4,545 posts, read 3,748,556 times
Automatic is the best all around since it’s been perfected and usually reliable for most all cars now.

But CVTs are common now in cars that have traditionally been low maintenance, reliable and long-lasting so I’m not sure how this will work out. Examples like the Corolla, Civic and Subaru cars come to mind. Hope they know how to make CVTs last
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive