Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 04:21 PM
46H

1,644 posts, read 1,378,822 times

Advertisements

Valentine One and Waze for the highways and interstates. Locally, I do not speed.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:25 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,696,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
dont drive a red car
It isn't called "Arrest me red" for no good reason.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:10 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,969,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
That wasn't you following me about 20 over when the cop pulled over the back of the line, and let those of us 'brave/stupid ones' up front to go on our way, was it? Cops aren't dumb; they are people just like you and me. They know when people are thinking they are clever and letting the rabbit get the ticket. The back of the pack gets the ticket just for being sneaky.
If I make it to the 4th of July I will have gone 50 years without a speeding ticket.

Some of it was simply luck; it is hard to anticipate everything. Like you also state: Cops aren't dumb - they can change the rules and they get new toys to play with. All I am doing is relaying my experience as a driver that has about 2,500,000 miles under my belt. I am also aware there are many drivers with even more experience and I welcome their comments.

I can state a rule like our police do not set up radar traps when there is inclement weather and some motorist will still get tickets. Things can go wrong: Like a rookie, that wants to make a name, gets assigned to roads you always travel. Or a division gets orders to jack up the pressure; many times after a serious accident.

Most of my 'rules' are simply common sense. If motorist concentrate on their driving and surroundings; they are one step ahead in the game. If they go texting or talking on their cellphones; they will have problems. I had one trip down the 324 miles of I-81 in VA where I saw the same woman pulled over three different times - you have to know when the cards are against you!

Old 05-15-2018, 06:17 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,162,979 times
Do NOT use cruise control. If you can't pay attention to your foot on the gas and the speedometer, there is probably also a potentially fatal deficiency in your attention to other things, too. Driving a car requires attention, do not try to defeat it. There is no interstate highway in American in which driving exactly the speed limit enhances safety within the flow of traffic.

Your manual warns you that there are places and times when cruise control should not be used, and in my opinion, that is everywhere and all the time.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:19 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,999,806 times
To the OP, just move to South Florida. They don't ticket for traffic violations and in fact, they are told to not pull drivers over on I95. They are more worried about murder, drug trafficking, human trafficking, etc.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:49 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,769,857 times
There is only one tip to avoid speeding tickets.

Don't speed.

You got cruise control? Set it to the speed limit and stay in the right lane or the next one over and stay put. You'll never get a ticket.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:56 PM

30,150 posts, read 20,868,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Are you serious? You worry about a million things in order to avoid getting a speeding ticket? I’m sorry, but what exactly is wrong with you? Forget everything you just wrote and remember this instead: drive the speed limit. Problem solved. If you choose to ignore this sage advice, you deserve every grey hair, ulcer, and stress induced, anxious moment you have.
I'm not that way. I do WOT burst all the time with my modded C6 Vette. Just gotta know the place and time.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:06 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,969,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
To the OP, just move to South Florida. They don't ticket for traffic violations and in fact, they are told to not pull drivers over on I95. They are more worried about murder, drug trafficking, human trafficking, etc.
For some time I ran to Miami. I have seen the Kamikazes on I-95; many were probably high. They zigzag in and out of traffic and usually end up as a stain on one of the highway dividers. I also never remember seeing them pulled over. It is one place where my rule of keeping a low profile does not apply!

On the very last trip I made down there dozens of police cars were pulling into my terminal as I was pulling out. The helicopter had it's spotlight on an individual only a hundred feet behind my rig. It was always exciting going that far south!

Old 05-15-2018, 08:46 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,837,939 times
I did my share of speeding over the years and I've also picked up a few citations for doing such a good job at it.

Lately, I've gotten into the habit of doing the speed limit or up to 10 mph under in the right lane of the interstate.

It's nice not to have to be calculating who to pass, when to pass, and not getting upset at the people holding me up when I drive faster.

It's slow and easy on cruise control and staying out of everyone else's way.

Disclaimer - When I drive home from FLA, all bets are off. It's pedal down as much as I can. Those people drive like such asshats on I-95 and I-26 in SC that I have to get ahead of as many as I can!!!

Old 05-15-2018, 09:16 PM

21,634 posts, read 24,761,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
That's the only sure way, but 90% or more of drivers don't follow it. Speed limits are too low almost everywhere so everyone speeds.
I've gotten a few. Never gotten one sticking to around seven over on the freeway, which is what I'm driving just about always. 85 in a 65, yup. 90 in a 55, yup. never 72 in a 65. I've spent a lot more time at 72 in a 65 than 85 in 65 or 90 in a 55.

I don't speed in town. Even on those roads that are just "dumb." There was one that I used to live near that was a 25 mph street that was a fairly major thoroughfare. Everyone speeds on it because it's a long, clear shot with no traffic controls for a good half mile and twice as wide as any normal residential street. It's also the street any kid on a bicycle or walking is going to take as it's the only through route connecting neighborhoods. There's a middle and elementary school on either end as well, and it's a poor neighborhood so a lot of those kids walk to school. Painful, but I stuck to 25 for three reasons: Cops, kids, and morons who went blasting through stop signs on the residential streets to get onto the street. All three occurred frequently and even driving 25 I had a couple not real close but close enough calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive