Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 11:44 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times

Advertisements

Our net is around $120k and we have three cars: my used beater, a Ford (lease, $349) and a Jeep (bought, $479). The Ford will go back and not be replaced in exactly a year. The Jeep has 3 years left on a 4 year loan. When that is paid off, I plan to buy a Mustang that I will keep forever!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 11:52 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
The key to saving money on a vehicle is being willing and able to work on it yourself. If you cant/won't do that, you're going to spend a lot more money.

When and where I grew up, it was the norm for a man to do basic auto repairs and maintenance. Even shade-tree engine rebuilds were common. But these days people would rather spend their time on the internet, complaining that repairs cost too much
Cars were simpler and easier to work on back then.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:03 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Our monthly gross income is 20k and car payments are 1000 with 500.00 coming back from employer reimbursement on a non taxable basis. I’ll go by gross as it’s a better measure because we have 4-5k a month going into retirement plans it skewing the net

Old 05-17-2018, 12:33 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
The key to saving money on a vehicle is being willing and able to work on it yourself. If you cant/won't do that, you're going to spend a lot more money.

When and where I grew up, it was the norm for a man to do basic auto repairs and maintenance. Even shade-tree engine rebuilds were common. But these days people would rather spend their time on the internet, complaining that repairs cost too much
There’s no need for that. I don’t keep cars long enough to worry about how much an engine replacement cost.
By the time it’s out of power train warranty I’ll be bored with it anyway.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
This is my 5th car since turning 16 and have never had a car payment. I never plan to.
^^^^^^^^^^^

same... I had 7 cars BEFORE turning age 16 (countless motorcycles... = similar for most farm kids)

Never saw the need / benefit for car payments...

Current car = ~0.001% of my NW (no payment required or desired) (i.e. take the value of your car and multiply it times 100,000* = your equivalent net worth)

Cost per mile <$0.04/ mile inclusive of the cost of the car, fuel, insurance, maint... (as it has been for over 40 yrs of driving)

hint: some of us go to great extremes to avoid working for a living... the sooner the better! (More time to DRIVE... I enjoy driving )

Retire early, retire often!

Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
$75-80k net before bonus. Drive a Hyundai paid cash for $17k 2 years ago. But am considering leasing sport sedan for $400-500 per month. HAd a Z06 corvette but sold it after 12 months due to biting off more than I can chew with the power, maintenance etc. ended up eating $11k which isn't that terrible due to the car. I've seen leases for Z06's go for $1500/mo. It's actually a good thing I sold it because I only get one parking spot with my new apartment.

I only want new cars from now on especially if it's going to be sport oriented. You never know what previous owner did. I don't see the stigma having a payment. if I bought a car $30k cash kept for 10 years, then add maintenance, repairs, tires, brakes... car will be worth under $5k in 10 years. you will probably be paying over $300 a month anyway, but you are doing it all at once. I just don't know cars well enough to maintain something old and unknown myself and don't want a cheap appliance.

I had a Nissan Versa that I paid $3k for which I learned stick on. While it was fairly reliable the AC compressor crapped out and the car started smoking. along with other issues, I probably paid $200/month to own that car for 2 years after selling for $1200 if you include the insurance payment after getting rear ended. I'll pay a couple hundred more to own something new and nice...

Old 05-17-2018, 03:09 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
OK folks,

We have a great thread noting "Dave Ramsey" and the Million bucks.

Let's bring it down to more realistic levels for most of us. Most of us don't have a net worth of a million dollars.

Please tell us (single or married) your:

Net income over the year (not gross).

How much you paid for your car or truck:

How much your monthly payment is:

Discuss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbftLWeaRMQ
Single

$21,000/year

$12,000 (incl. fees and ttl)

$0/month

Old 05-17-2018, 05:04 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
If I’m reading that right, it sounds like you’re trying to dispose of cash and not earn it right?

Simple math for growing cash.
Buy a $20k car with cash and save the financing charge of 3% over a 72 month loan. That’s saves you $1878 over 6 years ($26 a month).

Or you can finance that $20k car and invest the $20k in cash you now have in the S&P who’s rate of return is 9.8% (buy we’ll be conservative and say 7%) and have $27,231 in 6 years.

So paying off the car early actually cost you $5353 ($74 a month). Spending $74 to save $26 is nothing to be proud of.
When people proudly claim they paid cash for their car and never had a car payment, it makes me worry about our education system. Those people are fighting an uphill battle and don’t even know it.
Using your calculation financing my car.
$90K for 72 months @ 3% = $1367 – Interest $8,455.

My projected growth @ 7% for the next 10 years is almost $2mil. This is by just sitting on my a#s. What you don’t understand is that the government requires me to take out about 4% annually from my IRA.

I have cash available in my checking account to pay cash for cars and such.
Yes occasionally I take $100K and put it back in the market but not as an IRA.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:28 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,667,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Cars were simpler and easier to work on back then.
Exactly and...

Many HOAs also do not allow residents to work on their cars in their driveways OR leave their garage doors open for an afternoon either.

Factor in the cost of tools as well and it's really not an effective use of time and resources for many people these days.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:37 PM

5,734 posts, read 4,688,017 times
I'm a car nut.

I have 3 cars. All leased.

car 1 - $1K payment
car 2 - $1K payment
car 3 - $2K payment

I love cars, and yes I can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive