Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 06:59 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,491,896 times

Advertisements

The brand, model of the car makes a huge difference here. As does the engine/transmission combo. For instance we own a 2012 VW GLI 2.0T w/ 6MT just about to hit 100k, and a 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7 V6 auto at 190k. I'd keep the Jeep over the VW because of repair cost, ease of the jobs, etc. I've done a lot of maintenance and other fixes to the Jeep for awhile so I know it inside and out. The VW can be pricey for parts and it's tight working spaces, plus Germans love to have their "specialty tools" to change certain items.

More detail on the vehicles OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 07:00 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,491,896 times
The brand, model of the car makes a huge difference here. As does the engine/transmission combo. For instance we own a 2012 VW GLI 2.0T w/ 6MT just about to hit 100k, and a 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7 V6 auto at 190k. I'd keep the Jeep over the VW because of repair cost, ease of the jobs, etc. I've done a lot of maintenance and other fixes to the Jeep for awhile so I know it inside and out. The VW can be pricey for parts and it's tight working spaces, plus Germans love to have their "specialty tools" to change certain items.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:08 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,990,394 times
many good point above, but I would also add that how well the car's have been maintained plays a roll too.

90K isn't a lot, until you find out that the prior owner never changed the oil. 40K seems like low mileage, unless the owner was living his life a quarter mile at a time. Overall condition, maintenance record, history of the particular make and model, etc, all play rolls here.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,739,724 times
Get the car that makes you happy. Figure out the money as you go along. Life is not about budgets.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:36 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,898,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Let's say two vehicles are both priced $10,000.

One is a 2007 with all the bells & whistles and has 40,000 miles on it.
One is a 2013 with no bells & whistles and has 90,000 miles on it.

Which is the better value?

Other considerations:

Teen driver purchasing and maintaining the car.
No budget for hefty repairs.
Small budget for oil changes as needed and weekly gas money.
What are your plans with the car? If you assume you will sell it in 2-4 years and not put many miles, get the newer car with more miles. Otherwise the older car.

Generally, the newer the car, the better (meaning safer, more reliable...), but obviously it all depends on how well the car was maintained and the reliability of that model.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:13 AM

8,323 posts, read 6,412,530 times
I'm with coldjensens, get the car you like.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,682 posts, read 57,964,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
The brand, model of the car makes a huge difference here. A...
^^^^^^^^^

personally... I would go with a $1000 car and spend $8000 on traveling (fly/rental car) and stash $1000 for an occasional rental car (if rarely needed). has worked for me for the last 40+ yrs driving...

for original question:
what's better: old car with fewer miles, newer car with lots of miles
1) the best / reliable make and model (safest is MOST important for female drivers!)
2) The best maintained and with best tires / glass / condition (one owner FS BY owner (with diligent records of maint) is my minimum criteria, I NEVER buy (used) from a dealer EVER!!! if NEW... buy from Costco!)
3) The one that is best equipped for YOU (I prefer 'sport' package (bigger brakes / sway bars, better cooling, more responsive power train (engine and tranny))
4) The one FITS you (cars are VERY different... I can't stand driving a GM product smooshy / land yacht, or a Nissan (CVT)) You will spend a LOT of hours in this car...
5) The one that best meets your needs / color choice (long term purchase.. don't buy RED if you HATE red!)

Old 05-17-2018, 04:02 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,142,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Let's say two vehicles are both priced $10,000.

One is a 2007 with all the bells & whistles and has 40,000 miles on it.
One is a 2013 with no bells & whistles and has 90,000 miles on it.

Which is the better value?
What kind of car is it? If it's a manual transmission Honda or Toyota, AND.... the body is rust free, then it doesn't matter the age or the mileage on it.

Otherwise, the less bells and whistles on the car, the better. Less to malfunction. I avoid over-engineered cars.

If the car is a VW, Audi, Mercedes, BMW or Mini, then avoid at all costs. Definitely no high mileage ones. Once the factory warranty is finished, those cars are worthless.

Not a fan of American brand cars of any age or mileage.

Quote:
Other considerations:

Teen driver purchasing and maintaining the car.
No budget for hefty repairs.
Small budget for oil changes as needed and weekly gas money.
If I had a teen driver in the family, I'd put them in a manual transmission Volvo 240 wagon. They are out there in decent condition. They are sturdy and reliable. And having a manual transmission car will make them a better and more attentive driver (shifting gears instead of being on the cellphone).

Where do you live? If the winters are challenging, then perhaps an older Subaru wagon, or Honda CR-V or Toyota Rav4. But the downside to AWD is those vehicles will use more gas.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:35 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,764,330 times
I missed the part about bells and whistles.

That's a matter of taste and priorities. Personally when I see bells and whistles... I see things that will break and cost me time and money. I require that my vehicles have cruise control, a/c, a functional AM/FM radio, and some method of connecting my phone's audio input. That's it. I don't really care about any other options.

But my wife likes bells and whistles, so her Honda has them. Other than a power window switch, they haven't caused my any problems. But I just know that sunroof is going to leak one of these days... and I'm going to glue it shut.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:08 AM

4,269 posts, read 6,290,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
Depends on the actual car.
What cars are we talking about here?
No actual cars at the moment since we won't be buying a car for at least a year. It was more the theoretical question for when the time comes. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive