Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:01 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Look at this:

Toyota Dealership Displays 2018 Toyota Camry That Got Rear-Ended by a Semi-Truck - The Drive

"A dealership employee identified as Ramon Suarez was on his way to the airport to pick up a customer when the Camry was rear-ended at speed by a semi-truck. The impact then pushed it forward into the back of another large truck, sandwiching the sedan in a nightmare scenario."

" First, the 2018 Camry rides on a version of the new TNGA modular platform, which has been praised by auto journalists for its rigidity and strength. Then there's the fact that the Camry's crumple zones functioned exactly as designed, absorbing the kinetic energy of the crash to keep the passenger cabin wholly intact; the Facebook post sharing the story notes that all four doors still open and close like normal.

As a result, Ramon walked away from the crash with hardly a scratch."

I always admire competent engineering when I see it.

Congratulations to the Toyota Engineers who pulled it off.
I skimmed over the article and I did not see how fast the semi was going on impact. My guess is not very fast. I've seen the results of semis hitting cars at freeway speeds and they take out two or three cars at a time. It's pretty obvious to me that the semi stopped forward motion before it got to the back seat even though, apparently, the impact pushed the car into another car in front of it.

It's a nice story, but how often are you going to be rear ended by a semi going 20 miles and hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 08:51 AM

24,405 posts, read 23,061,247 times
My neighbor accidentally stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake while trying to get into a handicapped space. Her car was an 80s Ford Thunderbird. She hit a 2000 something Ford Focus broadside and pushed it into a Hyundai Santa Fe. She didn't have more than two car widths time to accelerate and that Ford Focus was OUT of focus, I mean it was messed up, basically totaled. The Santa Fe was a mess too, it took a nasty dent to the passenger side door and fender/ wheel and had to be towed. The Thunderbird, well I got to look for her to see how badly it was damaged. I looked and unless I hadn't seen the accident( I was there by coincidence and saw the aftermath) and knew it was in one, I wouldn't have known it. Her front license plate holder was badly scuffed and cracked on one side. No dents, no frame damage. Neither occupant in the Thunderbird were hurt, thankfully and nobody was in the other cars. Steel bumpers on the frame, wow.
Of course I once had a shopping cart roll into a 2014 Chevy Impala's fender and it just bumped off without a scratch. Plastic, wow.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:28 AM

628 posts, read 839,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I drove a 1993 Camry 4 cylinder from 1996 until 2014. Loved that car. It never gave me a minute's trouble. My mechanic was happy to buy it from me.
I had mine from 2000 to 2006 when it was totaled in the crash I had no issues with over 150,000 miles and I had full service records from the previous owner who bought it from Toyota of Tacoma and she always took it to Toyota of Tacoma in Tacoma Washington to get it serviced the same dealership where i took the car to get it serviced it had 30,000 miles when i bought it from a private seller from a newspaper because she died and her husband was selling inherited items that he did not want to keep

Old 05-19-2018, 11:55 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
My neighbor accidentally stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake while trying to get into a handicapped space. Her car was an 80s Ford Thunderbird. She hit a 2000 something Ford Focus broadside and pushed it into a Hyundai Santa Fe. She didn't have more than two car widths time to accelerate and that Ford Focus was OUT of focus, I mean it was messed up, basically totaled. The Santa Fe was a mess too, it took a nasty dent to the passenger side door and fender/ wheel and had to be towed. The Thunderbird, well I got to look for her to see how badly it was damaged. I looked and unless I hadn't seen the accident( I was there by coincidence and saw the aftermath) and knew it was in one, I wouldn't have known it. Her front license plate holder was badly scuffed and cracked on one side. No dents, no frame damage. Neither occupant in the Thunderbird were hurt, thankfully and nobody was in the other cars. Steel bumpers on the frame, wow.
Of course I once had a shopping cart roll into a 2014 Chevy Impala's fender and it just bumped off without a scratch. Plastic, wow.
A broadside strike creates a vastly different damage profile vs. the strongest part of your vehicle--the front end--hitting a large flat surface.

Each wreck is unique in its circumstances. Last October a teen girl slipped off her seat belt for a few seconds to take a selfie. In those seconds the driver wrecked and the unrestrained passenger was thrown out and killed. The other occupants were unharmed.

'The car went off the road. She was ejected and she died instantly. All the other kids in the car they had their seat belts on and they all survived with very little injury,' her father, David Mills, explained to KRIV.

Read more: Texas girl, 16, killed in rollover car crash just 500 YARDS from home wasn't wearing a seat belt | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Texas girl, 16, killed in rollover car crash just 500 YARDS from home wasn't wearing a seat belt | Daily Mail Online

Old 05-19-2018, 03:31 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
The flip side will be anyone that gets killed in the next Camry crash the family will sue and say they bought the car expecting to be saved from all crashes.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:01 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Nice story, but I'd still never buy a Toyota.

But that's just my opinion.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:24 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
Are there photos of the other vehicles involved out there that I am missing. If so, please link as it would be interesting to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive