Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:56 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times

Advertisements

I have no sympathy for anyone who doesn't wear a seat belt. The argument that it doesn't affect anyone else is BS. Unrestrained people cost insurance companies a heck of a lot more money in injuries. And they pass that cost on to everyone else (i.e. me).

There was a state years ago (I want to say Iowa) that tried to pass a seat belt law that basically said you didn't have to legally wear a seat belt, but that if you were in an accident, and weren't wearing one, your insurance deductible would automatically be $5000. Ultimately, it didn't pass and they opted for a more traditional seat belt law. But honestly, I would have had no problem with it. This was like 20 years ago, so the $5000 was a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 10:37 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
What you think does not count because it is the law boy why do people have a hard time accepting the fact that it’s the law so jut click it or ticket your choice. Why do people think they are above the law.
Yup, and don't come to NY this weekend, because they are running checkpoints all week through the holiday. I just saw thrm running one on rhe bottom of an Interstate onramp, of all places.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:43 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,412,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Yup, and don't come to NY this weekend, because they are running checkpoints all week through the holiday. I just saw thrm running one on rhe bottom of an Interstate onramp, of all places.
Same here in Michigan i don’t get we’re people think they are above the law and they don’t think the law applies to them.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:15 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
motorcyclists can ride without a helmet. We must use seatbelts? No logic.
Exactly!

It's nobody else's business whether an adult chooses to wear a seat belt, helmet, or any other safety device. You're not putting anyone at risk but yourself, so what crime is occurring?

It's just like lots of other victimless crimes, it's merely a tax on human behavior that's been deemed "bad" by the rest of society, not to mention an easy money grab for the govt.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Same here in Michigan i don’t get we’re people think they are above the law and they don’t think the law applies to them.
Laws are constantly changing, therefore laws are inherently imperfect and not inherently deserving of respect. What was illegal 5 years ago could very well be legal now, or vice versa. Does that make the people who broke that law back then somehow "wrong" and those that can freely do what was once prohibited somehow "righteous"?

My point is that just because something is a "law" doesn't me it deserves automatic respect and adherence, same goes with authority. There's plenty of unjust laws that've been passed both in the past and to this very day, being a blind sheep that just does what they're told without question only causes more and more of our freedoms to be chipped away.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
The argument that it doesn't affect anyone else is BS. Unrestrained people cost insurance companies a heck of a lot more money in injuries. And they pass that cost on to everyone else (i.e. me).

Why not ban unhealthy food, tobacco, alcohol and everything else that's unhealthy or dangerous then? After all, that cause the prices of health insurance to go up and the cost gets passed along to you?

Because freedom is more important than both personal safety and saving money IMO. And it's not yours or anyone else's job to police the behaviors of others.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin

Old 05-26-2018, 10:13 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Exactly!

It's nobody else's business whether an adult chooses to wear a seat belt, helmet, or any other safety device. You're not putting anyone at risk but yourself, so what crime is occurring?

It's just like lots of other victimless crimes, it's merely a tax on human behavior that's been deemed "bad" by the rest of society, not to mention an easy money grab for the govt.
When you fall off on your noggin and have the mental capacity of an overripe muskmelon for the next fifty years it is my tax dollars that will be paying to pump that pureed pap into your gut and then cleaning you where that same pureed pap exits. That makes it my business - you're risking my financial wellbeing.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
When you fall off on your noggin and have the mental capacity of an overripe muskmelon for the next fifty years it is my tax dollars that will be paying to pump that pureed pap into your gut and then cleaning you where that same pureed pap exits. That makes it my business - you're risking my financial wellbeing.

I could fall down while walking down the street, bust my head on the sidewalk and be in that same situation. Should I have to wear a helmet while walking down the street too?

How about walking down the stairs? I could easily tumble down the stairs, break my neck and end up a vegetable as well. Better not walk down the stairs, either.

Keeping with the automotive thread, do you also think that people in convertibles should have to wear helmets too? After all, if you roll a convertible, your heads scrapping along the pavement, as there's no roof to protect you.

My point is that life is full of risks, all you can do is try and negate them for yourself, but you cannot entirely eliminate them or try and be a "savior" by protecting others.

Your tired argument of "muh tax dollars" is pure BS. I'm sure that the govt. uses your tax money in lots of ways that you wouldn't approve of, I know they do with mine, but you don't complain about that. You're too concerned with policing other people's behavior. Besides, they're going to take your tax money regardless of whether someone is rendered brain dead in an accident or not, so what's the use in whining and crying about it?

I'd rather see my tax dollars spend on medical care for someone in the states than to see it funneled into the middle east to fight proxy wars with Russia, but the govt. doesn't ask you or I what they can spend their money on, they'll do as they please.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Laws are constantly changing, therefore laws are inherently imperfect and not inherently deserving of respect. What was illegal 5 years ago could very well be legal now, or vice versa. Does that make the people who broke that law back then somehow "wrong" and those that can freely do what was once prohibited somehow "righteous"?

My point is that just because something is a "law" doesn't me it deserves automatic respect and adherence, same goes with authority. There's plenty of unjust laws that've been passed both in the past and to this very day, being a blind sheep that just does what they're told without question only causes more and more of our freedoms to be chipped away.
Exactly, Im sure there were plenty of people back in the days of slavery, or before civil rights, who insisted on everyone obeying those laws to the T too, they probably used the same arguments people on here are using today,,,'Its the law, respect and OBEY, No one is above the law"!

Its interesting that we celebrate and consider people who broke those laws back in the days, to be heroes and great people, so naturally there are going to be some laws today, that eventually people will also be recognized for choosing to break or disobey.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Exactly, Im sure there were plenty of people back in the days of slavery, or before civil rights, who insisted on everyone obeying those laws to the T too, they probably used the same arguments people on here are using today,,,'Its the law, respect and OBEY, No one is above the law"!

Its interesting that we celebrate and consider people who broke those laws back in the days, to be heroes and great people, so naturally there are going to be some laws today, that eventually people will also be recognized for choosing to break or disobey.
Exactly!

Respect is to be earned, not automatically bestowed on anyone or anything, laws and authority figures included! I don't understand this mass reverence and unquestioning obedience for the law. I guess most people are just sheep who like being told what to do and don't want to be bothered to think for themselves. Just let big daddy govt. tell them what to do. I don't need the nanny state holding my hand when I cross the street, I can take precautions to protect myself if I so choose, and even if I don't, it's NONE of their business!

What I REALLY can't stand are cops that enforce laws that they themselves break. I can't tell you how many times I've seen cops with a cell phone up to their ears driving down the road and not wearing a seat belt. Such hypocrites!

But let's be real here, seat belt laws, helmet laws, etc. are just taxation on human behavior and an easy money grab for the police. They couldn't give a crap less whether you wear a seat belt or not, it's all about the cash that fines generate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive