Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:58 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If all that were true, then why is it legal to ride a motorcycle with NO HELMET? that is crazy to ride a motorcycle with no helmet, it almost guarantees you will be killed or seriously injured, but this they will allow??? LOL where is the logic in that, what message does that send too?
Because there is virtually zero impact on insurance rates for the rest of us. If you have a bad motorcycle accident with no helmet you may very well be dead. No long term pain and suffering, medical, disability, etc. If you don't wear a seatbelt in your car you may still survive but the insurance result will be a huge impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 09:59 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I keep forgetting to try to get a medical exemption, but at my next physical I'm going to ask. My acid reflux kicks up with a seatbelt tightly cinched around my ample girth.
The belt is supposed to go over your hips, not your stomach.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:02 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
motorcyclists can ride without a helmet. We must use seatbelts? No logic.
A motorcyclist will only hurt himself if he crashes without a helmet. A passenger in a car becomes a projectile that can injure other people in the car, not to mention a belt will prevent him from flying out of the vehicle. I know someone who died when he was projected through the windshield when his car went off the highway.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:09 AM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
Quote:
I agree, its all about generating revenue. They are using safety as a disguise/ excuse, in the same way they justify other laws and regulations too.

The motorcycle helmet law and insurance cost seem to contradict that though, one would think they could generate lots of revenue by having a helmet law, but they dont? the very low cost of motorcycle full coverage is also odd...in reality, this type of coverage should be extremely high.

Full coverage will consist (in a basic form) a combination of:

1 - Property damage to the vehicle
2 - Health costs for the driver/rider (when not covered by health insurance)
3 - Liability for property damage to others
4 - The big one, liability for injury to others
5 - some ancillary overages such as uninsured motorists, rental, etc...

From a motorcycle perspective, #2 is the big one as the rider is more likely to be injured in an accident, but that isn't the big driver of costs, particularly as those costs are often capped on an auto policy with health picking up the rest.

However, #1,3,4 are all generally more much bigger for cars. The cost of repairing/replacing a car is generally higher than a motorcycle (obviously there are cheap cars and expensive motorcycles, but the average car is much more expensive than the average motorcycle). The damage you do to others' property and people is limited on a bike. It's unlikely you can total a car or severely injure/kill its passengers with a motorcycle, but much more likely with a car.

In other words, the total payout of a serious at-fault motorcycle accident is much less than the total payout from a serious at-fault auto accident, particularly if other vehicles or property is involved. Add that to the fact that a decent percentage of motorcycle riders are pleasure use only where they don't commute regularly with the motorcycle and don't ride in bad weather, the risks of dollars to the insurance company is much lower -- so the rates are much lower.

I still do agree it is somewhat odd that they require seat belts but some states don't require helmets. Part of that is due to the sheer numbers of cars versus motorcycle probably, and the total damages saved by seat belts versus helmets (in a motorcycle accident, even wearing a helmet, there is a high chance of injury. I always wear my seat belt in car and helmet on a bike regardless of law. I think Florida and Michigan have a good compromise where you don't have to wear a helmet if you have enough personal injury protection insurance. That means you've paid for your risk, and won't leave the ER hanging when you can't afford your medical bills. So, you get your personal freedom, but don't leave the costs to others...

Old 05-21-2018, 10:13 AM

17,586 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
A motorcyclist will only hurt himself if he crashes without a helmet. A passenger in a car becomes a projectile that can injure other people in the car, not to mention a belt will prevent him from flying out of the vehicle. I know someone who died when he was projected through the windshield when his car went off the highway.

Friend from school rolled his vehicle in Virginia.. NoVA.. Ox Road for those who know the area. Came halfway out the sunroof and the car kept rolling.

Police delivered his wallet and personal effects to his mother at 2am.

As for the motorcycles.. Helmets are required in VA.. Guy I was in high school with rode one.. Car pulled out in front of him, he hit it in the drivers side tire.. Broke the axle on the car, he went flying 50 feet down the road.. Short of road rash and bruising and perhaps a sprain or two.. He was well enough to get up and start laying into the guy. Cussing up a blue streak at him. "you dumb SOB.. Could have effing killed me..." that kind of thing. Apparently went on for a few minutes.

When the cops and ambulance showed up.. He found out the guy he hit was a preacher.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:20 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
If all that were true, then why is it legal to ride a motorcycle with NO HELMET? that is crazy to ride a motorcycle with no helmet, it almost guarantees you will be killed or seriously injured, but this they will allow??? LOL where is the logic in that, what message does that send too?
I already addressed that. Motorcycles are a relatively small population and don’t effect overall insurance rates as much. If cars were just for enthusiast and 99% of everybody else commuted in motorcycles, then expect to see those laws reversed.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:13 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
I stated that I ALWAYS put ON my seatbelt since it is safer. So, no, I will not increase your insurance rate, which is another scam in it itself. And yes, I have insurance that is mandated. So, yes, that IS how it works. It's all about government and insurance companies taking your money. The problem is not the individual who doesn't wear a seatbelt, it's the scam insurance companies raising everyone else's rate for THEIR losses and with insurance companies working hand in hand with government they create this stupid law.

Again, I always put on my seatbelt ON, however, it shouldn't be mandated and certainly shouldn't be a citation for it.
In reality we live in a world where everybody has to pay for everybody else’s actions.
What do you expect an insurance company to do, eat the additional cost? They’re a business not a charity. Businesses pass on their cost to consumers. If you’re on 24hr medical care for the next 30 years, it’s everybidy else who pays for it via insurance or taxes or both.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:20 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Some people aren’t understanding the power of centrifugal force, if you’re vehicle is at highway speed and starts rolling you’re going to get thrown out of the nearest opening.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:28 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
It was my only offense, and kind of my own fault, I had a fairly bright coral colored shirt on and my drivers side window was all the way down, I drove right past a cop in a parking lot, looking for speeders, my bright shirt probably drew his attention and he could easily see i wasnt wearing the seatbelt. Its pretty expensive ticket ($162.50).

HE did something strange though, when he pulled me over, he came to my driver side window, told me why he pulled me over and asked for my ID and insurance, but then he returned, he came up on my passenger side, I had to roll the window down, not sure why he didnt come back to the driver side. i was the only one in the car at the time.
I'm not sure if anyone else has asked, but why were you not wearing a seatbelt?

Old 05-21-2018, 11:41 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
The belt is supposed to go over your hips, not your stomach.
Agreed, just like you are not supposed to run into other vehicles when driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive