Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 11:18 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,168 times

Advertisements

So I nearly got run off the road by a young person talking on their smartphone and it got me thinking about how dangerous and distracted drivers have become through the progress of technology, the freedom of usage, and the ubiquity of screens in cars.

People over 40 might remember when carphones were a luxury item during the mid-80s thru the late-90s. I don't remember the news reporting on distracted driving or accidents related to carphone usage. Carphones weren't in most cars and they were very expensive to own and operate (they were like $.80 a minute top of a $50 monthly fee...gas was a $1/gallon then). Perhaps that is what prevented drivers from being as distracted as they are today. The other difference is that phones do so much more than just voice these days and many of those functions either take more cognitive ability to use (thereby removing attention used for driving) or requires your eyes to glance at the screen.

I seems like even the late-90s to 2005 during the proliferation of the non-smart flip phones, drivers still weren't nearly as bad. Is it the multi-function and screens of smartphones that are making the roads less safe? On the subject of screens and distractions, I'm very concerned about the Tesla Model 3 rely on the tablet and screen menus with little to no hot buttons, dials, and knobs. According to Consumer Reports and Edmunds, you have to search through the tablet to adjust the side mirrors, control the HVAC, open the trunk, etc.

Finally, it seems like we can't put the genie back into the bottle with technology and distracted driving. People born before 1983 would remember what learning and experiencing driving before owning a cellphone; people born after 1990 have probably owned a cellphone by the time there were 10. The point being that younger people have never known the driving experience without owning and using their phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 07:12 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
It's pretty dangerous, especially when texting. Vermont prohibited using any handheld devices a few years ago but I still see people talking on their phones while driving.

My theory, which I have not seen any experimental data for, is that in part talking to someone on a phone while you're driving has the effect of causing the driver to devote some of his/her mental attention to the remote location where the other person is, and distracts from the driving environment. This would explain why talking on the phone seems to be much more dangerous than simply talking to a passenger in your car: your mind is figuratively somewhere else.

If using handheld devices isn't prohibited in your state I encourage you to lobby your legislators to make that change. Also, those videos showing how fast things can go wrong while you're texting should be shown to all drivers, young and old.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:18 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
I was born before 1980. Back then people were driving around with giant paper maps trying to figure out where they were while driving.

While we tend to look back as the old days with rose colored glasses, in realty traffic fatalities today are over half of what they were back in the 70’s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto...n_U.S._by_year

Old 05-22-2018, 07:23 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
I don't think that talking on the phone is any more distracting than using your A/C, radio,cruise control or navigation.
Actually,with speed dial and Bluetooth they are probably less of a distraction than other devices in your car.
Texting,however is the major cause of deadly accidents.I think that texting while driving should have the same penalty as DWI

Old 05-22-2018, 07:31 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
1,000% agree with Samiamnh. What was the #1 cause of car accidents in the 80's? Exactly the same thing it is today: distracted driving. Y'know from playing with the radio.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:04 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I was born before 1980. Back then people were driving around with giant paper maps trying to figure out where they were while driving.

While we tend to look back as the old days with rose colored glasses, in realty traffic fatalities today are over half of what they were back in the 70’s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto...n_U.S._by_year

Due to better drivers (doubtful) or things like airbags, seat-belt laws, better car design, improved materials, et al?

Old 05-22-2018, 08:59 AM

393 posts, read 409,236 times
I'd say I've noticed a huge deterioration in driving acumen and curtesy with the use of the phones. I'm not sure if you mean talking or texting on the phone. Regardless, I can spot a phone user a mile away. Weaving in and out of lanes. Fast then slow, coming right up behind you and sudden stop, wait forever to go on green light. No turn signal, etc. I think it's the reaction from the normal non phone drivers that lessens the curtesy factor. I honk my horn more now than ever, for the above listed infractions. Then they flip ME off. Get off your phone and drive.

I disagree with the "people were distracted in the 80's also" argument. No comparison. We had a radio...

Combine phones with the imperviousness of youth and you get a bad driving public.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:20 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
The technology exists where the phone would not allow you to use it (surf the web, text, etc) outside of using a hands free device or Bluetooth connection while it is in motion in a moving car. It would solve a lot of the problems with people texting or tweeting while driving... but then you get people against the implementation because (what about the passengers or what not).

So progress is never made and careless drivers keep causing property damage and personal injury to innocent bystanders.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:40 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
For those who claim talking on a cellphone isn't distracting, here's some science. This article specifically addresses hands-free cellphone use and its effect on our cognitive processing.

https://www.nsc.org/Portals/0/Docume...hite-Paper.pdf

Old 05-22-2018, 10:05 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Due to better drivers (doubtful) or things like airbags, seat-belt laws, better car design, improved materials, et al?
Exactly. You can't compare fatalities by cause when so many other factors are in play. A car crash today with seatbelts, modern structural technology, and airbags will always be less fatal than the same car crash with no seat belt, no airbag, etc.

Studies show over and over again than doing anything with a phone in the car is very distracting. Most people have noticed people driving badly while on the phone, I'm sure, unless they were too focused on their own phones to see.

I saw some young lady run off the road and come within 12" of hitting a tree while she was constantly looking up and down at her phone (texting? navigating? idk) just two days ago. I was beeping my horn to try to get her attention as she careened off the road, but apparently, that didn't get through to her either. She hit the curb, bounced up it, then looked up and jerked back onto the road, narrowly missing another car on the other side before she managed to drive like a normal person again.

Hopefully learned a big lesson there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive