Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 05:11 AM

574 posts, read 382,241 times

Advertisements

The VW Beetle... I hear people say that the Porsche Cayman/Boxter are "feminine," but I think that's untrue...... when you see those folks driving them with the local Porsche Club, you may think otherwise espechially the "S" versions. They kick butt on the autocross courses, and this is coming from a 911 guy. Same goes with Miatas, they handle well and many people enjoy them. What does "feminine" mean anyway with cars? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 07:16 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Honda HR-V. Being a woman should be a requirement to even buy one!

Old 06-03-2018, 08:08 AM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
All time has got to be a VW Rabbit Cabrio, triple white of course.
My friend's parents bought his younger sister (a natural blonde) a new one for her to drive while attending UCSB....and living in Isla Vista.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:37 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
That wouldn't be a bad thing. It would be more like a Shelby Cobra roadster than the anemic toy car it is now. Contrary to popular belief, a car can be light and makes gobs of hp. The Shelby's weighed just 2300 lbs.
Wasn't that back in the 1960s? Lots of kit that we would expect in a car wasn't even around then.

It's about finding that engineering sweet spot - light, powerful, affordable, pick 2. And don't overlook marketing, either. Sure, you can go down the road of the dedicated track weapon, but then you've lost the mass appeal, and that means lower production numbers and higher cost. Caterham 7s are awesome, but have no broad appeal and you don't want to drive one in the rain.

You call the MX-5 a toy car, and I don't think that's much off - it's fun. An MG that works, at a price that lets it be built.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:58 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Wasn't that back in the 1960s? Lots of kit that we would expect in a car wasn't even around then.

It's about finding that engineering sweet spot - light, powerful, affordable, pick 2. And don't overlook marketing, either. Sure, you can go down the road of the dedicated track weapon, but then you've lost the mass appeal, and that means lower production numbers and higher cost. Caterham 7s are awesome, but have no broad appeal and you don't want to drive one in the rain.

You call the MX-5 a toy car, and I don't think that's much off - it's fun. An MG that works, at a price that lets it be built.
But seriously, it wouldn’t kill Mazda to put a turbo or something on that lame dinosaur of an engine. They have 4cyl turbos pushing pickup trucks and Jeeps these days while Mazda’s stuck in 1985. It doesn’t even good gas mileage and that sad excuse for power is after fueling it with the recommended premium fuel.
There’s no engineering behind it, they’re just cheap and Miata fans settle for it and think it’s part of some master design.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeligman View Post
The VW Beetle... I hear people say that the Porsche Cayman/Boxter are "feminine," but I think that's untrue...... when you see those folks driving them with the local Porsche Club, you may think otherwise espechially the "S" versions. They kick butt on the autocross courses, and this is coming from a 911 guy. Same goes with Miatas, they handle well and many people enjoy them. What does "feminine" mean anyway with cars? lol
The newer Boxters are legit, but the old ones were one of the most feminine looking cars ever made.
It could run 8 second quarter miles and spit tobacco and you would still have to carefully explain to every single human being that it’s not a girl’s car. I see one and my respect for the driver just drains. There’s no way I could respect a man driving one.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:59 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
But seriously, it wouldn’t kill Mazda to put a turbo or something on that lame dinosaur of an engine. They have 4cyl turbos pushing pickup trucks and Jeeps these days while Mazda’s stuck in 1985. It doesn’t even good gas mileage and that sad excuse for power is after fueling it with the recommended premium fuel.
There’s no engineering behind it, they’re just cheap and Miata fans settle for it and think it’s part of some master design.
We're going to have to agree to disagree - I really think we're debating something that's a matter of taste, and there's no settling that. Then again, I used to like Italian motorcycles - Ducati also put a premium on handling over raw power.

I will quibble over "There’s no engineering behind it, they’re just cheap", though. Engineering is about resource allocation and building a car like the Miata to the price point that it's sold at speaks to excellent engineering.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
We're going to have to agree to disagree - I really think we're debating something that's a matter of taste, and there's no settling that. Then again, I used to like Italian motorcycles - Ducati also put a premium on handling over raw power.

I will quibble over "There’s no engineering behind it, they’re just cheap", though. Engineering is about resource allocation and building a car like the Miata to the price point that it's sold at speaks to excellent engineering.
You have to admit, in terms of performance and gas mileage, they've been pretty flat for over a decade. I would appreciate the raw old school small roadster that everyone else has seemed to leave behind, but in my opinion they don't even do that well. You sit far too low in the seat and the door comes up way too high. A Honda S2000 had the right idea. The Miata feels much too big for it's size. The Mini Cooper roadster and convertible have a more appropriate upright seating position more reminiscent of an old school roadster.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:13 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
One that is funny to me is the Hummer. I see a Hummer, I see a Dr. Laura car. On top of that everyone I know who owned one was either a woman or an effeminate man. Maybe my outlook on them is skewed by experience, but they are girly cars to me.
Maybe owning the hummer to look more tough than what they are?

Old 03-04-2019, 03:44 AM

669 posts, read 581,372 times
A Mary Kay Cadillac
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive