Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 05:55 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I agree 100%....the Wheels play off the Trim in that pic. My opinion, it would depend on what you are looking for.....Sporty, go Black......Classy, go bright.
Perfect comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 09:13 AM

354 posts, read 776,257 times
I like the black wheels - I'm definitely looking for a sporty look. However my car has silver trim everywhere. I'm thinking the black wheels may look ridiculous with the silver trim. Going to try to find some photos online of that configuration. Thanks for the opinions! Seems like people are split down the middle.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:16 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Umm, round wheels.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:10 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
I would go with a lighter color, silver, gold, maybe a light bronze.

While not exactly a sports car, imo dark cars tend to look better with lighter color wheels

Old 05-31-2018, 12:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
My daughter got a cute little Sonic turbo at a base Sonic price because the guy who ordered it with black wheels refused to buy it when he actually saw what it looked like with black wheels. It had been sitting on the dealers lot for quite a while because no one wanted a silly looking Sonic. My daughter was happy to accept silly looking as a trade for thousands of dollars in free options/upgrades. She says it gives her car character and it is easy to find in a parking lot because no one else orders a bright blue sonic with stupid looking black wheels.

Black wheels always make me do a double take, it looks like the wheels are missing.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:43 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Dark wheels visually detract from a vehicle that is not white, red, or yellow. Worse, because modern black wheels do not have chrome trim rings, they blend in with the tires in pictures and the overall effect is that a car has two large cutouts with nothing supporting it. Ugly - IMO.

This effect is even worse on a car with bright chrome trim as in the OP picture.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:56 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
Chrome all the way. Black just looks like you've lost all your hubcaps.

Yeah, I know, I know.

"What's a hubcap?"

I'd pass on chrome, if they gotta be shiny I'd prefer polished aluminum. Probably an age thing but the only chrome wheels I've ever really liked were chrome reversed with baby moons, but only on he right cars.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:19 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times
Everyone has black rims, copper would off-set that gray nicely.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:28 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
I know this is completely subjective, but trying to take a formal poll here... I have a Daytona Gray Audi and I'm looking for some new rims. I'm pretty stuck - should I go with a dark color, like black or gun metal, or does the contrast of silver wheels look better with it? The rest of the car is not "blacked out" - i.e. it has silver trim, etc around it. What does city-data say?
The real questions you didn't ask:

1. Red interior? A: hell yes! Not much more stunning, looked at an RS5 in that livery couple years back and was hugely impressed. That one had titanium finish wheels. Saw an Ferrari F430 in that, too, but that's a whoooole 'nuther story!

2. Gray or metal finish wheels, as opposed to silver or black. I personally would match the TRIM.

But you did answer it, sort of, with the trim comments. Go with silver or something close, else might look a bit off.

I'll not steal your thunder with my own pics, but my black trim X-Runner (Tacoma) needed murdered-out wheels to go-with. So, that's what it has. Totally works, vs. silver or similar which is also stunning on black, if the trim is silver...that's a bit bling-y, the silver and silver trim on black, but whatever.

Good luck, it's subjective, but there's (an) answer.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:44 PM

457 posts, read 497,358 times
My car is dark gray and had "chrome" trim around the grill and windows. I had the trim wrapped in black vinyl and put graphite wheels on. It looks 1000 times better IMO.

If your car has the silver trim and you plan on keeping it that way, go light on the wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive