Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 11:20 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times

Advertisements

More embellished news designed to trash Trump. Nothing will ever come of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 11:26 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,168 times
Well if history is a pattern, Trump is starting with a hyperbole to create chaos and likely settle for less. The idea of banning German cars is ridiculous. The idea of making German cars more expensive and rebalancing trade isn't as ridiculous. I don't approve of this, but I'm just trying to explain it.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:40 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...an-cars-report

A report that U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened to pursue German carmakers until there are "no Mercedes-Benz rolling down New York’s Fifth Avenue" dented shares in the luxury car manufacturers on Thursday.
I think people need to understand Trump's style of negotiating. He says the most absurd things in order to get around to something mutually agreeable. He has no intentions of banning German or any other car but he does want something in return.

ETA: Others start off asking for what they want but end up getting far less. Demand the outrageous and negotiate down to what you really want all the while having your opponent think they got a good deal.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:27 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,005 times
Quote:
Can someone explain why he wants to do this? Is it b/c he wants to help U.S. automakers sell more cars???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Define, please?
I think he means the ones that are made mostly in Mexico, or worse...Detroit.

Trump needs tread carefully. An important part of his constituency is making "German" cars in the Southern US.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:58 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I think people need to understand Trump's style of negotiating. He says the most absurd things in order to get around to something mutually agreeable. He has no intentions of banning German or any other car but he does want something in return.

ETA: Others start off asking for what they want but end up getting far less. Demand the outrageous and negotiate down to what you really want all the while having your opponent think they got a good deal.

If that is the case than I think this is a good but risky strategy. As long as he does not actually start a trade war that will benefit no one. The problem with Trump is that you never know if he really understand all the ramifications of his actions or not...

But also, if this is the negotiation strategy than it is of very limited duration. Pretty soon everyone will see that he will actually not impose any tariffs and will stop taking him seriously.

Last edited by DefiantNJ; 05-31-2018 at 01:20 PM..

Old 05-31-2018, 01:04 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
This guy is a tool of epic proportions. He increased the deficit by nearly three trillion dollars with his Budget and Tax Plans. While doing so the nation's output fell to 2.2% from a consistent 3% plus dating back to the Obama years. Now he wants to start a trade war. Colossal clusterf...

Old 05-31-2018, 01:10 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post

Since you apparently believe you speak Trumpese, WHAT was he really saying when he promised time after time after time he'd have a far better than the ACA plan in place immediately after he too office? Was that a part of some secret message like the German car stuff allegedly is?

Old 05-31-2018, 01:33 PM

200 posts, read 146,992 times
Quote:
Can someone explain why he wants to do this? Is it b/c he wants to help U.S. automakers sell more cars???
I think he wants German automakers and their suppliers to invest more in the US, i.e., probably make almost everything they sell to the US market in the US.

Incidentally, state-controlled German TV has been hysterical about Trump's trade policies in the past few months.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:37 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
The Hill being an objective news source, is like saying the National Enquirer is one too..

I love these ridiculous stories that quote "sources" but never name them, or interview them as to the validity of these absurd "stories"..

Might as well pay attention to your fortune cookies advice, if you are going to take any of this non sense as "news"..

Old 05-31-2018, 01:41 PM

277 posts, read 291,436 times
He wants to be able to grab them by the Porsche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive